It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does fishing (actual fish) work?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Whoisjohngalt

That's pretty shallow for anything but seasonal stockers which will likely be small. Not sure where you are, but if you're somewhere where there are freezing temps in winter, a lake that shallow will freeze solid meaning no fish can survive therefore the only fish will be the small "fries" put there that year.

Bottom line though...even a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work!

(a mantra to live by)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Since you’re catching a few bass on spinnerbaits I would guess that they would hit lipless crankbaits, topwater and soft plastics. My personal picks here in the southeast are: blue/ chrome rat l trap, Pop- r, and Berkeley power worms, craws, and lizards. A jig is probably the best all year bait for bass but it takes time to learn. As it gets warmer a deep running crankbait like fat free shad or 20plus is a go to lure. That’s when rod and line selection starts to matter, different techniques work better with different actions. You will find that no matter how good you get and learn there’s always some new skill to master. Fishing is pretty much the most fun you can have with clothes on IMO

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   

edit on 10-5-2018 by ridgerunner because: Double post

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: Whoisjohngalt

Bottom line though...even a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work!

(a mantra to live by)

The words of the wise, AMEN BROTHER!

Cheers,
-StS

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 01:22 AM
link   
No luck today in catching any fish, but somehow i caught about $10 worth of lures. 4 rooster tail spinners and a rapala floater all tangled in a ball of lines thats had atleast 3 different sizes of lines in it and two size one or two treble hooks.

A little more info for you, the ponds in the area are stocked by the county with small mouth bass, rainbow trout, carp, channel catfish, and blue gill. The lakes are about 8 acres. Im about 5 miles north of disneyland so i dont think any water here has frozen over in the last 100 years. Fishing from a dock in the ocean is an option with a 30 minute ( or hour and a half if traffic) drive. The park i like is adding 300 lbs of channel catfish on tuesday, so i will pick up some of the dough bait. Should i be letting the dough rest on the floor or set it to be floating halfway between the surface and the floor. Water depth is a 1- 1.5 meters.
edit on 13-5-2018 by Whoisjohngalt because: Spelling

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ridgerunner
Ok,it can be complicated or simple.Having fished for 50+ years My advice to you is find someone nearby to help you learn.Most avid fisherman will show you the basics and help you out.For all around fishing I`d recommend a 6'6'' spinning rod outfit,Bass Pro has decent combos at reasonable prices.Baits will depend on what you are after,if you want to dunk bait night crawlers and crickets will catch most species.Doughbait is good for catfish and carp.Warning-if you get addicted you may end up spending a lot on a fast bass boat and thousands of dollars on tackle,ask me how I know,lol.Watch the tv fishing shows,Infisherman and Bill Dance often have helpful info.

The wife wants a small boat. I want a Springfield M1A.
......so we are probably getting a boat.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Whoisjohngalt Try telling her you should get both-just in case of pirates or alligators.I was stationed out at March AFB near Lake Perris,decent fishing there for bass if you have a boat.Light line and small baits should work.Fly fishing for trout in Deep Creek up near Big Bear was fantastic,small fish, but 25-30 caught and released nearly everytime there.Theres lots of good fishing near you,just takes some practice and time.I usually let doughbait sit on the bottom,if its not too rocky

edit on 13-5-2018 by ridgerunner because: addition

edit on 13-5-2018 by ridgerunner because: addition

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join