It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone listen to Sam Harris' Podcast...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
... and have any desire to discuss any of his specific podcasts.

I ask because I only have one friend that I can talk with about the material that he covers and it is not really enough extraview to firm up my thoughts on some of the issues.

I find him lucid, intelligent, well meaning and honest. He would consider himself a moderate where as I would call his right of center because of some of the positions he takes.

Sam Benjamin Harris (born April 9, 1967) is an American author, philosopher, neuroscientist, critic of religion,[2] blogger, and podcast host. He concerns himself with matters that touch on spirituality, morality, neuroscience, free will, and terrorism. He is described as one of the "Four Horsemen of atheism", with Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens and Daniel Dennett.

en.wikipedia.org...

He is an excellent host, doesn't shy away from controversy and doesn't only have guests that agree with him so his podcasts are always very thought provoking.

You can find and listen to all his podcasts at:

SamHarris.org

You can also, of course, subscribing on your phone.

A few of my favorites (in reverse chronological order): Well - that was a bust - I like so many and get something out of most. I tend to avoid the AI podcasts because, frankly, I'm not ready to think about that topic beyond Asimov's three laws. I'll try to crop by what might interest ATS members. These are not easy discussions to follow and some are quite long; all are worth the effort -- if that kind of thing adds value to your life...

samharris.org...

samharris.org...

samharris.org...

samharris.org...

samharris.org...

samharris.org...

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

I can't wait to listen.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I've only caught him on rogan. Smart guy, really sharp. Gonna give it a go.

S + F.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   

It is my view that atheism makes the least
sense of any world view. I'm interested.
Thanks for posting.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
outstanding subjects so rare to see such pertinence.....rare these days

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I'm not a fan of Harris but I like how he called out both Trump and the SJWs.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

It is my view that atheism makes the least sense of any world view. I'm interested. Thanks for posting.
Sam Harris said "We don't have a word for not believing in Zeus, which is to say we are all atheists in respect to Zeus." So what does it really mean to be an "atheist"? Many ancient Greeks apparently believed Zeus really controlled the weather.

I've watched a number of Sam Harris's videos on youtube, but I'm not familiar with his podcasts, I might check them out.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Yes, notice how this world system knocks out the name or Deity of God in the Bible or Jesus....tellin on themselves

yeah , like we don't friggin notice after a half lifetime of seeing their sorry rooky ways....ha tellin on THEMSELVES

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

"What does it mean to be an atheist?"

I hope it isn't off topic but the question isn't
answered by defining a word.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Yes, I'm a fan.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

I'm not a fan of Harris but I like how he called out both Trump and the SJWs.

I'm curious why are you not a fan?

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur

originally posted by: randyvs

It is my view that atheism makes the least sense of any world view. I'm interested. Thanks for posting.
Sam Harris said "We don't have a word for not believing in Zeus, which is to say we are all atheists in respect to Zeus." So what does it really mean to be an "atheist"? Many ancient Greeks apparently believed Zeus really controlled the weather.

I've watched a number of Sam Harris's videos on youtube, but I'm not familiar with his podcasts, I might check them out.

a - non theist -dieist. Simple

Frankly I think we are all agnostics because it is equally impossibl for either the theist or the atheist to objectively prove their position.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   

I've always considered him a strong and eminently fair debater. His arguments are based in factual evidence. Thanks. I'll take a look at your links.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Well I disagree with his stances on Islam. While I understand it has a lot of problems, it has many good ideas. For example, Islam during the Middle Ages was open to extraterrestrial life while the Catholic Church execute people for espousing it. Also, early Islam improved the lives of many people. For example, they allowed women to be scholars and/or military officers, something that was rare during the time of its founding (600s).
edit on 5/7/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Its not the middle ages anymore

Oh unless you live in the middle east then it might actually still be the middle ages in a lot of places

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Well I disagree with his stances on Islam. While I understand it has a lot of problems, it has many good ideas. For example, Islam during the Middle Ages was open to extraterrestrial life while the Catholic Church execute people for espousing it. Also, early Islam improved the lives of many people. For example, they allowed women to be scholars and/or military officers, something that was rare during the time of its founding (600s).

That is one of the areas that I disagree with him as well.

But overall - I get more from his podcasts then just his less appealing opinions that I just let that stuff slide. His presentation, guests and subject matters are too good to miss because I don't like some of the ideas.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   

No.

I like to make up my own mind.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

That is one of the areas that I disagree with him as well.

But overall - I get more from his podcasts then just his less appealing opinions that I just let that stuff slide. His presentation, guests and subject matters are too good to miss because I don't like some of the ideas.

Hypatia, Greek mathematician, astronomer, neoplatonist philosopher and stateswoman living in Alexandria, Egypt about 150 years before Islam.

I wouldn't attribute sexual equality to Islam by any means and at any time. That is just ignorance of history.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I love me some waking up.
Sam knows exactly how to debate, reason and use logic correctly.

It's very rare that I don't agree with his view, and my mind was on a very similar trend even before I found the waking up podcast.

One topic that's been close to me for many years now is the stagnation and even deterioration religion has caused society and humanity as a whole.

top topics

join