It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marine One replacement on schedule and under budget-but can't land on lawn

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman
What's wrong with strips of these?

Lay these down, let the grass grow through, lawn illusion maintained.

Good idea!!!! Weight is an issue of sorts no matter what. For Example our EC-145 has no issue landing on the roof of our hospital but a Blackhawk must land on the field due to weight.

Tires vs skids is also an issue. skids spread out the load

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

originally posted by: FredT
Jesus. Seriously? So pour a concrete pad. Someone needs to remove their head from their ass. Otherwise you can kiss of that under budget and they will spend millions figuring out how to land on a grassy field. Sheesh.

Can't imagine even our gov't reaching such epic stupidity. However I wouldn't be shocked either and if they must have grass, then put some of that artificial Arizona grass over it. That stuff actually looks pretty decent.

Let me introduce you to the US government.
mobile.nytimes.com...
Yes we spent nearly a hundred years paying for official tea tasters.

You can't believe the constituency inane things have. There will be a save the grass foundation.

The speaker just recently fired the congressional chaplain. Good. Well there was a big fight so now we have a government mandated chaplain again. This is a person who has interfaced with less than one percent of congress. But oh, it is a tradition!

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Pfffft. Anyone hear of a hover exit??

Plus, you are never too old to learn how to repel!

In reality, a repel is not bad when your landing is snow. You just try not to fall over backwards down the slope.

IIRC, the helo is at standby with non-rotating blades. That thing must weigh a lot if a) the soil cannot support it; b) the downwash could harm the surrounding trees. Shame, the one shining budget example aircraft cannot be used due to ops concerns.

Might I suggest an airship? Lockheed has one I do believe...

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

They'll figure it out, and being that far under budget they've got room to play with.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

They need a landing pad on the lawn then. Maybe something nice with a giant Presidential Seal on it and a laser show at night.

It should have giant doors that open up and after the President lands, the platform and the helicopter should drop into the ground amid a fanfare of fireworks with Hail to the Chief playing on loudspeakers. Then when he takes off again, it rises up out of the ground to another chorus of Hail to the Chief.

DC needs to get with the 21st century here and jazz it up.

<< 1  2   >>

join