It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lt. Col. Oliver North to become NRA president, organization says

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

He doesn't want the position, but he is articulate, intelligent, well informed and not afraid to defend his views, and well known.

Ollie is all these things as well, but has the added baggage of being the fall guy for a gun running scheme, I just think the baggage outweighs the good.

Lastly lets be honest, anyone in this position is essentially a figure head, they are paid to be the face of the organization not actually run it. I am sure they will have some input but the people behind the throne with the NRA remain pretty constant, which leads me to believe they are actually doing the balk of running things.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Is the 2nd Amendment in such jeopardy that we need to sell it?

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Vasa Croe

If that's who the NRA wants, then what's the big deal?

It's about preserving and defending an enumerable right.

Something the left wants gone.

Exactly. I doubt that North choice will be a big deal with your run of the mill NRA member. North is really viewed by you political lens. On one side he was a gun runner destabilizing governments and diverting money to Israel and Iran. On the other side of things he was a patriot and a soldier who was following orders and took the hit to protect those above him. Again its personal perspective.

How relevant is he? He is at best somewhat of a fringe IMHO. He will appeal to the core but not attract anybody new which is a problem going forward. Selleck would at least open them up for new areas.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Considering they want a gun runner to a enemy to run the NRA, I'd say it's already been sold & certainly not to the right audience.

It's funny how this logic works. Giving Iran their money back decades after holding it = bad. Running guns to Iran in the thick of what solidified them as a proverbial arch-enemy = good. What the actual F.
edit on 5/7/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Supposedly the Lieutenant Colonel could run a war all by him self. I think the NRA is in good hands.

Who here really believes a Lieutenant Colonel has enough juice to pull off the Iran Contra Affair all by him self? Personally I don't think a two star could do that. North was a fall guy, but he keep his mouth shut like a good soldier should.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

To be fair, the Shah was a wee bit different than the Ayatollah.

Oops wrong decade.

I'm old, my bad.
edit on 7-5-2018 by DBCowboy because: Beer

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

Selleck would at least open them up for new areas.

You mean Magnum PI?

What's the the 80's theme here? Why not just go the the A Team then?

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

To be fair, the Shah was a wee bit different than the Ayatollah.

True, but we still enacted an arms embargo that we flagrantly ignored there. That speaks more to our character as much as anything, North aside. However, fall guy or not, he was still complicit in circumventing that & damaging the living hell out of us between Iran & Nicaragua. "Watch this hand, but ignore the other" is not an honorable way to go about anything.

Edit: I know you got the decades wrong, but I get the point you were making anyway. Comment stands.
edit on 5/7/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You're not supposed to talk about stuff from before the Ayatollah. We're all just supposed to start the timeline at the moment they declared Independence from the CIA (ahem the "Hostage Crisis").

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

DBCowboy corrected his mistake.

North was dealing with the Ayatolla's government.

''Colonel North made a passing reference to, something to the effect 'Wait until it's learned that the Ayatollah is funding the contras.' ''
www.nytimes.com...

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Considering they want a gun runner to a enemy to run the NRA, I'd say it's already been sold & certainly not to the right audience.

It's funny how this logic works. Giving Iran their money back decades after holding it = bad. Running guns to Iran in the thick of what solidified them as a proverbial arch-enemy = good. What the actual F.

Barack and Eric running guns to the foreign #1 border security threat currently on the maps with zero benefot to the USA in the process = no bog deal. A standard plan that exchanged arms for hostage freedom, but which violated an embargo in place BECAUSE OF REFUSAL TO RELEASE HOSTAGES= OMG I am OUTRAGED! Simply Outraged.

You're right, something reeks of fetid crap here, but it isn't Col. North.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Iran and Iraq were at each others throat at the time.Enemy of my enemy? Keeping your enemies focused on each other isn`t a bad thing.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I think he was the scapegoat of Iran/Contra. he was meant to take the fall and ended up on his feet.

I think he's got more sense and more tact than Wayne what's his name. I don't like that guy...real shady.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Will he be able to "recall" enough of his past experience to perform his duties?

edit on 5 7 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ridgerunner
Iran and Iraq were at each others throat at the time.Enemy of my enemy? Keeping your enemies focused on each other isn`t a bad thing.

except for the fact that at the time Iran-Contra and the Iran-Iraq War were occurring, Iraq was a US ally. we were funding them and most of their war effort. then turned around, sold arms to Iran used the money from the off the books sales to fund the Contras in direct defiance of Congress express prohibition as described in the 3 Boland Amendments passed between ‘82 & ‘84. So it’s considerably more than “the enemy of my enemy...”

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
If it twists the Left's undie bundles a little tighter, hell yeah, go Ollie!

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

Will he be able to "recall" enough of his past experience to perform his duties?

Guess that depends on how much was wiped....like with a cloth.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Donald Trump as president, a famous drug dealer as the president of the NRA..

It’s a shame Charles Manson had to kick the bucket, he could have made one hell of a secretary of the interior.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Why not ? We had a President and an Attorney General gun-running to the Mexican drug cartels

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Why not ? We had a President and an Attorney General gun-running to the Mexican drug cartels

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join