It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off-Duty California Cop Pulls Gun on Guy Buying Mentos

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: rexsblues
This sounds like a spoof of mentos commercial;

Dodododo dodo dowaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Just as the cop draws his gun, the dude turns around and flicks a mentos in his face, the cop laughs as the scene pauses back to the dude with the mentos... 'mentos, the fresh maker'.
Lmfao!!!

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
The man had given the clerk money. It's paid for, he can put it in his pocket. Just because many wait for a bag or put their money up first doesn't make it wrong or overly odd. It's a pocket size item.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Unless the guy was handling the Mentos like a gun against a hostage... like Charlie Sheen's character did with a Butterfinger in this classic from 1994 - The Chase...

...the cop is a grade A idiot!

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Correct. I often start to pack my stuff away while it´s coming over the counter and is scanned or typed. Otherwise everyone has to wait until I paid and packed my stuff together.

It´s not like he walked out, he put the money on the table so he paid. Technically (at least here), you have to pass the counter and try to leave without paying something, only then it´s theft.

The guy did nothing wrong, not in the least.

edit on 7-5-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Curses, the mentos bandit strikes again!

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Seem the cop is observing some of time but misses the original part of the sale. He just concludes it is shop lifting.

Wonder it that happens often with him.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Wonder it that happens often with him.

Hopefully it doesn't happen at his new job either.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

One minute, Jose Arreola was buying a pack of Mentos at an Orange County service station.

The next minute, he was at the business end of a gun

That is false. The gun was never pointed at him. Why do cop haters always have to exaggerate?

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

My apologies lol.

Yea suck my $$$$$ you jackass.

Im sure we will hear how they have investigated this matter and found he did nothing wrong..

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

One minute, Jose Arreola was buying a pack of Mentos at an Orange County service station.

That is false. The gun was never pointed at him. Why do cop haters always have to exaggerate?

So this was normal to you pull a gun over some mentos?

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Double post..

Sometimes cops just suck.
edit on 7-5-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   

The LEO obviously made a piss-poor decision, and probably shouldn't be a police officer, but at least all things ended okay (physically speaking).

I absolutely think that Mr. Arreola's fears are founded--if anything, all the LEO should have done to initiate the dialogue was to ask the guy if he paid for the candy that he put in his pocket. If Mr. Arreola had said 'yes,' the LEO could have said something like, "Okay, I'm a police officer and I was just ensuring that you did take it without paying."

Or, better yet, the officer could have just assumed that, since the guy was buying other stuff and getting change back, he wouldn't feel the need to be stealing a pack of Mentos.

This absolutely brings the officer's judgment and approach to policing into question, IMO--he did his steps bass-ackwards in this situation, waiting until the very end to ask the cashier if Arreola had paid, and basically brandishing a weapon first.

At least he didn't hold the guy at gun point or anything worse, and everyone walked away, but damn, talk about needing to look up a YouTube video on how to de-escalate situations...

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

Why are you deflecting to asking about "normalcy" when someone points out a false claim in the story obviously used to hyperbolize the situation for the readers? Bone75's comment had nothing to do with how he felt about the officer pulling the gun.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
His gun is pointed somewhat downward but still in the man's direction. It is displaying a show a deadly force.

It's a BS move.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Oh man, sorry the cop wasn't holding it to his head, he still, nonetheless, flagged him, which is just as bad.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Why are you deflecting to asking about "normalcy" when someone points out a false claim in the story obviously used to hyperbolize the situation for the readers? Bone75's comment had nothing to do with how he felt about the officer pulling the gun.

Now you want to argue semantics "the gun was never actually aimed at him" Well I say from 2 feet away it was aimed at him.

He should be fired and charged with a crime.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Perhaps because pulling a gun on an accused shop lifter is a gross exaggeration in and of itself.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Absolutely not, but the statement is still an exaggeration.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Thanks. You took the words right out of my fingers.

Objectivity gets no love around here.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
For those who want to argue about whether or not the cop had his gun aimed at the man,

What would any cop in uniform have done if the gun was being pulled out of the jacket of a non-cop?

They would have drawn an fired their weapon until it was empty or the man quit twitching, whichever came first.

The drawn weapon represents a threat.
Judging from the video, it was pointing at the man.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join