It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killing me softly with his fries...killing me softly...with his fries...

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
I'm nipping into town to do some shopping now, and I'll buy some crap from McD's because they are next to the nearest ATM. At least my fries won't contain a cocktail of additives though, just potatoes, oil, and salt.

I really like the topic at hand here as it's a big concern of mine, I just don't enjoy reading the continuous self righteous glorified breakdown of what's in your junk food VS someone elses. It's still junk, and comes off a bit... snarky?

Good post nonetheless,
-StS

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
To make white bread they take out the fiber, bread makes you very fat
They sell the fiber from what's removed in health food shops

Win win for the industry
Stay away from white bread

Like me some junk food occasionally, don't ever eat bread though, well very rarely
I hear Americans like their sugar
Yeah, we pretty much have sugar in everything. I'm a fat man. I never stood a chance. Now I'm trying to get off the junk, but it's an addiction. Laugh if you must because I know it is laughable, but it's an addiction of sorts. I want to want better food. Anyway, I digress. Yeah, we not only love our sugar. We love our processed foods, syrup drinks and chemicals. It's dog food for humans, but we love it.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: SurveyTheSurveyors

The comparison was necessary to make the point.
The US government authorises crap for sale to its citizens which most of the world prohibits.
If you think facts are snarky well that's unfortunate.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Well, okay...you win!

Your McDonald's serves better quality S#, and our McDonald's serves sub-standard quality S#.

It's still all S# though.

Your prize is a puny crap burger and cold fries and a drink which costs 500% more than it should and gives you about as much nutrition as a 7-11 donut, a Rebbull and a pack of Malboro's.

How's that?

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Star for making me laugh!
I'm nipping into town in a bit, will probably get a happy meal for a snack because I'm feeling happy, that'll be 3 in as many days, surprised I'm not a fat bastard yet...oh that's right, I burn the energy I consume, not rocket surgery, but you'll still get the fatty's crying that they have some hormone inbalance, bull# I say, nobody was fat in skint 80's Britain.

Oh and as an aside, to those members who bleat that poor people can only afford McD's I say bull# again if they are in the UK. I can buy 500g of spaghetti, a 300g tin of chopped tomatoes, and a 250g tin of tuna for £1.20 in my local supermarket, compare that to a crap 99 pence cheeseburger in nutritional value.
The poverty = crap food argument is lame as #.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Star for making me laugh!
I'm nipping into town in a bit, will probably get a happy meal for a snack because I'm feeling happy, that'll be 3 in as many days, surprised I'm not a fat bastard yet...oh that's right, I burn the energy I consume, not rocket surgery, but you'll still get the fatty's crying that they have some hormone inbalance, bull# I say, nobody was fat in skint 80's Britain.

Oh and as an aside, to those members who bleat that poor people can only afford McD's I say bull# again if they are in the UK. I can buy 500g of spaghetti, a 300g tin of chopped tomatoes, and a 250g tin of tuna for £1.20 in my local supermarket, compare that to a crap 99 pence cheeseburger in nutritional value.
The poverty = crap food argument is lame as #.

It isn't lame when you consider some people don't have a cooker, or pans to cook in or, more pertinently, the skills to actually cook something.

Also, if you are poor, it makes more sense to buy cheap, nasty, high calorie rubbish as it keeps you going better. In the same way as smoking is a viable thing to do for someone on a restricted income because it supresses the appetite.

Anyway, give me Himalayan chicken or lamb naga over a big mac anyday...well, 3 big macs.
edit on 32pTue, 08 May 2018 07:10:32 -050020182018-05-08T07:10:32-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: more t's

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Yes it is lame, improvise.
I was cooking good food in 90's Britain as a teenager with no kitchen, just a #ty rented room. My first 'hob' was a two bar electric fire layed on its back on the floor.
No skills to cook? Bollocks, just lazy more like, who doesn't know how to boil pasta and add a few vegetables to the mix?
Some people just want to be victims and you are caught up in the myth that poverty equals eating crap food, it ain't poverty it's laziness and convenience for the overwhelming majority of people.

EDIT
And no way could I eat 3 big Mac's in one sitting...star for being a food hero!!!

edit on 8-5-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

You know the old saying, right?

"S#...it's what's for dinner!"

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Lol never heard that before.
It does annoy me when people bleat that poverty = crap food though.
There's a Tesco's in every town in Britain, dirt cheap nutritious food available if you can be bothered to actually cook instead of nuking something in the microwave.
And the argument that they might not have ovens/cookers, absolute bollocks, everyone I know who lives off government welfare benefits has a cooker, heck it's been the law that landlords include one in rented homes for years now.
Just some people are desperate to be victims...lame.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   

I doubt I could eat 3 either

You knew how to cook though, its amazing how many people just cant do it. A mate of mine, clever lad and all that, used to live on take aways when his missus went off for a week with the girls or something. Every weekend we would take it in turns to cook the sort of breakfast that left you not wanting your dinner when you got home after a 12 hour shift. He was always super embarrassed when he would sidle up and ask someone else to do it for him when it was his turn...and we are talking fry ups, not Michelin star cooking.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Evidently people have forgotten to teach their kids how to cook. Our economy is service oriented here, they want us to have to buy food prepared already, that creates jobs and circulates money.

We went to a restaurant with the daughter and her BF for breakfast. Nice place, all organic foods there. The daughters boyfriends kid was there too. I just had coffee, the others had breakfasts. It came out to thirty seven bucks and we left a six dollar tip

I buy eggs raised by someone I know and the eggs are naturally grown. We have organic homemade breads and locally processed sausages in the freezer. I could make everyone the same meal, just as good, but with a good quality regular bacon for the price we left for a tip.

Breakfast has always been a moneymaker for restaurants, I cannot understand how come the costs of breakfasts is so high.

You can make just as unhealthy a meal at home as you can buy at McDs or other fast food restaurants. Highly processed food dominates the supermarkets.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Can't do a greasy spoon fry up???
I'd die of shame if that was me, a man should be judged on his quality of a full English breakfast!

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Evidently people have forgotten to teach their kids how to cook.

Maybe the parents weren't taught either, and it's a generational thing?
I smiled at my mates the other day when his 12 year old cooked his first omlette by himself. My mate cooks with fresh ingredients all the time and he is equally annoyed with people bleating that being poor equals eating crap food.
It's a lame excuse for being lazy.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Can't do a greasy spoon fry up???
I'd die of shame if that was me, a man should be judged on his quality of a full English breakfast!

No argument from me. All my kids can cook, but a huge number of their mates can't

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Evidently people have forgotten to teach their kids how to cook.

Maybe the parents weren't taught either, and it's a generational thing?
I smiled at my mates the other day when his 12 year old cooked his first omlette by himself. My mate cooks with fresh ingredients all the time and he is equally annoyed with people bleating that being poor equals eating crap food.
It's a lame excuse for being lazy.

I buy my eggs from a woman who does free range chickens, they eat the best quality of stuff, the eggs are medium sized, because of the breed of the chickens, but delicious. Three bucks a dozen is what I pay her for the eggs. I can eat six breakfasts with a dozen eggs, just ad a slice or two of homemade toast. It costs me about a buck ten for a one pound loaf of bread plus four rolls or buns or a smaller loaf of bread. For less than a buck I can have two eggs, toast, bacon or sausage, and coffee. I mix the bread in the bread machine, it takes about twenty minutes of work to put in the ingredients, take out the dough and make it into loaves or buns, and stick in a warm oven to rise, then turn it on and take out the bread when done.

The wife and I eat pretty darn well at about ten bucks a day, three hundred a month, for the two of us. Our overall food bill is higher, I make soups, pasties, and rolls and breads for the daughters and their kids sometimes, plus I give them eggs I buy from the woman I know. I also give out grassfed beef for the kids and make jams for everyone. We also cook about two holiday dinners here a year. I will also buy string cheese or other healthier snacks for my oldest daughters kids, they love smoked fish too. I used to buy both daughters fish from an indian but he has died now, no buck fifty a pound fish anymore. If you add all that extra into our monthly food bill, it is probably about five hundred bucks a month total. Still feeding the kids and grandkids. We usually bring homemade cookies over to them too, you can make pretty healthy cookies that taste great, they do not need to taste like cardboard if you put the right ingredients in them.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Blinkin' heck, I'm coming round your place for dinner!
...actually on that note, I often mooch around my mates house when I know a dinner or fresh soup is being prepared, nothing like real cooking, and now my chickens have flown the nest it's not the same cooking for one lol.
Mate is a fantascic cook, he's a member on ATS as well so probably reading this, nice one buddy, same time next Sunday!

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: filthyphilanthropist

originally posted by: Raggedyman
To make white bread they take out the fiber, bread makes you very fat
They sell the fiber from what's removed in health food shops

Win win for the industry
Stay away from white bread

Like me some junk food occasionally, don't ever eat bread though, well very rarely
I hear Americans like their sugar
Yeah, we pretty much have sugar in everything. I'm a fat man. I never stood a chance. Now I'm trying to get off the junk, but it's an addiction. Laugh if you must because I know it is laughable, but it's an addiction of sorts. I want to want better food. Anyway, I digress. Yeah, we not only love our sugar. We love our processed foods, syrup drinks and chemicals. It's dog food for humans, but we love it.

You are no orphan there. I just forced myself to drive past KFC, they have 9 pieces of hot and spicy chicken for $10 on Tuesdays, it was an effort.
Some of my friends are on diets, no bread, grains that kinda thing, I have lost a considerable amount of weight, lotsa dancing as well.
Feel better for it
Sucker for some diet cool drinks, they can't be good for you though

Mind shift, takes effort but worth it

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   

So why the difference? For sure McD's are a business and will get away with whatever they can, but for whatever reason feel the need to add more to US fries than UK fries.

Because the UK palette is about as bland as senior citizens, and they are notorious for their horrid food?

Seriously, going to a British restaurant should be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

KFC is my favourite as well, their gravy is actual drugs I tell thee, just add a corn cob and I can pretend I've eaten healthy!

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

One thing I have noticed about buying our beef. I get it right from the farmer, grass fed organic half a cow. I can polish off a half a store bought roast, it has little flavor. If I eat four ounces of grass fed naturally aged beef, I am satisfied. Before we started buying from this guy, he originally was not certified grass fed or organic, even though he grew them the same, we bought from three different farmers. The cows were pastured with minimal grains, they were crosses between different kinds of cows. They finished the cow for a month on partial grains, just like this farmer originally did when we started buying from them.

The biggest difference I noticed is the aging process and that the older cows had more flavor. A cow or steer that is over two years old seems to have more good flavor. The hanging for two weeks increases the flavor over hanging nine to ten days too, and because it is hung longer, chance of freezer burn is less too. We have ours double wrapped in paper, I am not fond of the vaccuum packing plastic that much. Those slippery bags do not stack well in our upright freezer.

The big thing to note is that even though the beef tastes so much better, you seem to eat half as much as those roasts in the store or steaks that are wet aged and commercial.

The same goes for a good local chicken, they seem to satisfy your hunger and you eat less. You aren't going to find that in the vitamin and mineral information. I do not know why it is that way, possibly some chemistry that forms in an older animal after the growth hormones production have subsided. Or just the chemistry formed by the longer dry aging.

I skeptically analyze things, I ran this test with an open mind many times over the year and in my families case it is real. Whether this will be the case with other people, I do not know. I find it strange that when you eat the meat everyone is ooohing and awing about the flavor yet they eat less. If this is true for others, then maybe this can actually help others suppress their appetite.

There is one exception to this, I noticed that the younger kids seem to stuff their faces more, like they crave the meat. Kids can be fussy, but they eat the beef like candy, there is no leftovers if you have two kids under eight sitting at the table. I do not understand why kids want more while adults get satisfied easily with real meat made the way our ancestors used to eat it.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join