It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Epic Mistake About Manufacturing that's Cost Americans Millions of Jobs

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

... There is a whole section in phone books for plumbers, they are not a scarce commodity, therefore they are not skilled labor.

Since when does resource availability equate to level of skill????

Resource availability may have a bearing on price, but it has little to do with level of skill required to perform a task.

So, you can run a natural gas line all by yourself? Install a bathtub? Unclog a drain line under a house? If it requires no skill then anyone (you) can do it, right?

edit on 5/7/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
I can not trust a single thing you say, ever... I have worked on CNC machines you didn't learn G-code and how to run all the machines in day it's complete nonsense what you're saying

Why do you think that? I'm not the only one who did, several others in the class I was taught learned it in a day too.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Yea of course he can learn it in a day

The only skilled job is coding of course

I learned how to program and operate a 4 axis CNC job in 4 hours and now I can easoly create any part on the planet with no help at all

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I've done a lot of my own plumbing, electrical work, and carpentry, etc. However, it's taken me years to learn the little bit I know, and I don't know NEAR what a pro does about it all. So I certainly respect such skilled occupations.

I only wish I would have decided to do any of those BEFORE plunking down the money for college, and going into debt for the privilege.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I learned how to program and operate a 4 axis CNC job in 4 hours and now I can easoly create any part on the planet with no help at all

Not at all, there are many skilled jobs, being a successful musician for example takes a lot of skill. Most programming isn't skilled either, 80% or more of programming positions only need the most basic of experience, that's why bootcamps have been successful.

If someone with your abilities is easily found, by which I mean you do not fill a unique hole, it is not skilled. If you are interchangeable with anyone else in a job search, you do not have skills.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Not at all, there are many skilled jobs, being a successful musician for example takes a lot of skill. Most programming isn't skilled either, 80% or more of programming positions only need the most basic of experience, that's why bootcamps have been successful.

If someone with your abilities is easily found, by which I mean you do not fill a unique hole, it is not skilled. If you are interchangeable with anyone else in a job search, you do not have skills.

That's true. However, there is a big difference between doing the job and doing it well. That's where the "skill" come in, and that's not something you can learn in a day. After all would you rather trust the wiring of your house to an electrician who has studied and worked for 30+ years, or the 16 year old kid from down the street who who just finished his first day of work with an electrician? The basics of the job can be learned in a day after all.
edit on 8-5-2018 by looneylupinsrevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

... There is a whole section in phone books for plumbers, they are not a scarce commodity, therefore they are not skilled labor.

Since when does resource availability equate to level of skill????

Resource availability may have a bearing on price, but it has little to do with level of skill required to perform a task.

So, you can run a natural gas line all by yourself? Install a bathtub? Unclog a drain line under a house? If it requires no skill then anyone (you) can do it, right?

Skills are exclusive, when they are shared, they are no longer a skill. When an entire section exists in the phone book to find someone, it is no longer exclusive.

If what you are bringing to the table is not unique, then how can you say it's a skill you developed? Copied, maybe... but then it's not yours, and therefore unethical to charge for.
edit on 8-5-2018 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

You have a very strange (and incorrect) definition of "skill".

Look, a lots and lots of people know how to swim (i.e. shared and not exclusive). Very few people make any money at swimming. The phone book is chocked full of people who know how to swim, literally thousands of them.

Not knowing how to swim can cause you to drown (i.e. bad)

Swimming is a skill.

Define 'skill' again?

edit on 5/8/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   
DP

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Cooking; millions of people know how to cook. Over half the people in the phone book know how to cook. Some people don't know how to cook...and eat crap from McDoogle's as a result, then have an aneurysm.

Some people die from eating food they cooked wrong, or hack their faces off with a kitchen knife while cutting onions. (i.e. bad)

Cooking is a skill.

You seeing the theme here yet?

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Don’t use external shipping. Hire a guy with a panel van or straight box truck to gather full bins of parts and drop off empty bins on a route for final assembly and packing. Then use bulk rates from FedEx/UPS business pickup to consumer door of final product. Otherwise Joe is going to sit all day at the USPS Bulk Mail Center for unloading the truck. I know I did enough times in Dallas. You didn’t enter the gates hungry, that’s for sure.

This is assuming each party does their own material supply purchases, otherwise old Joe will get expensive for $100 a day delivering them as his route should be less than 3 times per week. Otherwise it would be cheaper to handle the truck purchase, fuel, maintenance and driver for less than $700/wk if it is a daily route. Of course the product has to worth the decentralized manufacture, otherwise a single building operation is cheaper despite the taxes, rent, utilities, etc. Of course as consumer demand requires larger production, single house operation makes more sense too. Joe better learn to work a forklift and labeling software.
edit on 8-5-2018 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Hire a guy with a panel van...

I have a panel van. It's white and windowless.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Does it have "FREE CANDY" spray painted on the side?

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   

"Puppies and Pokemons".

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Naturally, he bought it off me.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

LOL!

I figured you'd ask who Candy was!

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
LOL!

I figured you'd ask who Candy was!

Candy is not the showgirl that DB, TAT and I didn't bury yesterday when all three of us were not in Vegas.

edit on 8-5-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   

I didn't think so.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Vegas is totally overrated, they did build a lot though apparently
edit on 8-5-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Another facet on the globalization of manufacturing is that it takes energy to ship all this stuff back and forth over the oceans. Thus demand for energy increases raising the prices of energy for everyone. When you factor in how these higher energy prices effect the prices of every item we buy, then there isn't even any cost savings coming from globalization.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join