It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**BREAKING** 2 x Magnitude 5.4 & 6.9 earthquakes just hit same Hawaii Island as active volcano.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Information on the Hilina Slump.

The chances of the volcano suffering full flank collapse are absolutely infinitismal, but the chances do exist that part of the slump could break off and create a landslide and related tsunami.

1975 Hawaii earthquake

Main article: 1975 Hawaii earthquake
On November 29, 1975, a 40-mile (60 km) wide section of the Hilina Slump slid 11 feet (3 m) into the ocean, widening the crack by 26 ft (8 m). This movement caused a 7.2 magnitude earthquake and a tsunami that reached a maximum height of 47.0 feet (14.3 m) at Keauhou Landing.[8] Oceanfront properties were washed off their foundations in Punaluʻu. Two deaths were reported at Halape, and 19 other persons were injured. The shoreline at Keauhou Bay was dramatically altered.[9]

This is what happened the last time a portion did that, and that was the last large earthquake in Hawaii which was also related to the Hilina Slump.

This 6.9 is also connected to the volcano's flank and as the commenter I quoted referenced shows signs of being potentially part of the toe of the slump shifting. That is not good news and hopefully, this is as far as it goes for now.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
well that is bloody terrifying, here is hoping for the best.

Cannot imagine the terror involved, I mean where do you evacuate to?

I have a sister in Hawaii, shes a little panicky right now..

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Actually 4 EQs.

M 5.4 then a M 4.6, then M 4.9, followed by the big one, M 6.9 according to googles. The 6.9 happened 61 minutes after the 5.4!

Hope the next hour is a safe one!!

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thorsen
Is this normal?
@LynnK awano on Twitter

That is interesting. I wonder where the lava went.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Is this normal?
@LynnK awano on Twitter

It was Vapoorized.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
There was a M5.0 yesterday when Hawaii Volcano Forces Evacuation (Phage).

EQs need to be in the M7.5 range to create tsunamis, typically. Not sure about throwing in a volcano would change that.

A underwater landslide can cause a tsunami without a earthquake or even a small earthquake triggering it. its happened before in hawaii.
walrus.wr.usgs.gov...
en.wikipedia.org...

One of these landslides could be bad news for the west coast of the US.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Pacific's "ring of fire"...never unexpected. In fact...expected eventually as before, as is now, and will be forever...

Hawaii does not lie on the Pacific Rim of Fire which ring the Pacific coast of countries like USA, New Zealand, Japan , Chile, etc

Hawaii lies on mid ocean "hot spot" which has been moving southward over past few million years starting in area of Midway atoll and continuing down leaving string of island in wake

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   
CNN still bashing Trump not much news about the Volcano,sadly you have to research the internet now to find good news on the eruption.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Hawaii could just not be there one day....

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jobeycool
CNN still bashing Trump not much news about the Volcano,sadly you have to research the internet now to find good news on the eruption.

Its literally the main and biggest item on CNN.com

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

www.youtube.com...

edit on 4-5-2018 by firerescue because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

I'd be keeping an eye on the Loilhi Seamount and the area leading to it from the island.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
is it 6.9 or 5.4 thats a huge difference.

Both actually.

earthquake.usgs.gov... %22%2C%22listFormat%22%3A%22default%22%2C%22mapposition%22%3A%5B%5B19.069256656524367%2C-155.3404998779297%5D%2C%5B19.528082992069944%2C-154.827575683 59372%5D%5D%2C%22overlays%22%3A%5B%22plates%22%5D%2C%22restrictListToMap%22%3A%5B%22restrictListToMap%22%5D%2C%22search%22%3Anull%2C%22sort%22%3A%22ne west%22%2C%22timezone%22%3A%22utc%22%2C%22viewModes%22%3A%5B%22list%22%2C%22map%22%5D%2C%22event%22%3A%22us1000dyad%22%7D

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

You know what's odd my man?

There is hardly a mention of it on the MSM in the US........ go figure!

Also someone farted, TWICE!

Not in the MSM.

Agendas right? ?

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

originally posted by: seeker1963

You know what's odd my man?

There is hardly a mention of it on the MSM in the US........ go figure!

Also someone farted, TWICE!

That was me.

I'm on the coast of Oregon and got nervous.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

I think a fissure eruption from a volcano like this one is more like a very hot and catastrophic shart.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: firerescue
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Pacific's "ring of fire"...never unexpected. In fact...expected eventually as before, as is now, and will be forever...

Hawaii does not lie on the Pacific Rim of Fire which ring the Pacific coast of countries like USA, New Zealand, Japan , Chile, etc

Hawaii lies on mid ocean "hot spot" which has been moving southward over past few million years starting in area of Midway atoll and continuing down leaving string of island in wake

I shouldve stated it was out in the basic MIDDLE of Oceana surrounded by the ring... Still not a great place to be not if... but when... all hell erupts and the tectonic plates dance the grind and limbo!

Thanks!

edit on 4-5-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Up to 5 fissures now.

And Hawaii County Civil Defense authorities have issued this ominous warning to households that choose not to heed mandatory orders to leave: "First responders may not be able to come to the aid of residents who refuse to evacuate."

The five eruptions, the latest of which started just five minutes after the large quake, are threatening several homes — and authorities have confirmed that at least two homes have sustained significant damage.

Dramatic images from the subdivision show lava bubbling up from the ground and soaring more than 100 feet in the air. Residents described the sound of the eruptions as haunting — "hissing" and "like a freight train."

So far, oofficials have confirmed breakouts on Mohala Street, Kaupili Street, Makamae Street and near Kahukai Street and Leilani Avenue.

Basically, people have ignored the evacuation orders; they are being told if they don't go, they may be able to rescue them later on; and this latest quake started five new eruptions.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: Jobeycool

Its literally the main and biggest item on CNN.com
I mean you have to go on any internet news to read and learn about it..Or you might find a live stream.....TV just whines about politics constantly.CNN has it as its main article on CNN.com is correct.Might be some live streams about it somewhere.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Is this normal?
@LynnK awano on Twitter

It moved to the lower east rift where it has broken through the surface in the Leilani Estates subdivision. The geologists had been tracking the underground movement of magma for a week or so. The eruption was not unexpected but unfortunately it occurred in a populated area.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join