It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After disrupting a event, SJWs complained that the audience heckled them

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   
In Duke University, SJWs ended up disrupting an alumni event.

Here are their background and demands:

They decided to contact student leaders from a variety of organizations on campus in an attempt to assemble a coalition. In a meeting among the campus leaders, they began hashing out what would eventually become their “manifesto.” The final document was a collection of a number of priorities that several student groups had been working on in recent years.

“What this document represents is an accumulation of a lot of work that students across the campus in different identity groups and within different marginalized communities have been working on with the administration for many years now,” Cracknell said.

Eventually, the group decided to disrupt Price’s State of the University speech at alumni weekend. Cracknell said the group intentionally chose an alumni event because alumni are often disconnected from current conversations on campus.

The students indicated that disruption was one way to signal to administrators and alumni alike the urgency of their demands—which range from increased worker pay, to added mental health support, to greater transparency in Board of Trustees meetings.

Here's what they did during the event:

As Price was preparing to announce gifts from each alumni class, the students took the stage chanting, and began announcing their demands from their “manifesto.” The protesters received mixed reactions from the alumni in the audience. Some alumni did nothing while others booed loudly or clapped in support. Many alumni stood up and turned their backs to the stage, some shouting vulgarities—the protesters reported hearing racial epithets.

When the audience of the event ended up heckling them, many of the the SJW are surprised by the response:

The protesters noted that they were surprised by the extent of the alumni's negative reactions. Cracknell added that he was disappointed that the administrators focused more on stopping the students than angry alumni, Cracknell said.

“I think when we walked out all of us were kind of shaken by the negative feedback, but so many alumni came up to us and were like, ‘Thank you for what you're doing. Thank you for continuing this work,’” Walk said.

Here's the SJWs' response when admins tried to stop them:

Cracknell added that he was disappointed that the administrators focused more on stopping the students than angry alumni, Cracknell said.

Administrators responded by:

"Duke’s longstanding principles of free speech make clear that we promote both individual and collective rights to express views and to protest; however, they make equally clear that we do not accept doing so at the expense of others’ expressive rights, or by interfering with other’s rights to engage in university work," Price wrote. "Such disruptions are not a sign of our community’s strength, but rather an indication that we, together as teachers, learners and leaders, must do better."

When the administrators tried to punish them, here's what the SJWs responded:

In a group statement, the protesters condemned any potential punishments.

After seeing this article, this makes me shake my head and say that if American Universities keep allowing with these sort of disruptive behavior then they will no longer be relevant.

Source:

www.dukechronicle.com...

edit on 5/4/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

They condemned any potential punishments.

Man I gotta remember to use that one more often. I'm sure it works in the real world.

edit on 4-5-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Well that shows me that their parents never disciplined them when they were children. My mom would have screamed at them if they are her children.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Lol, disrupt an event to protest then whine that the people who had their event disrupted were unhappy about it.
Lame

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Maybe their parents were the type to crash someone else's event, and then whine when no one wanted to listen to their 'manifesto.'

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I condemn any potential punishments from my post!

Farts.

Drugs.

Sex.

Its MY right!

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Ha! So they are upset when the alumnus (you know...the ones that pay for the school and add to the financial aid coffers for education through donations) heckles them?

This is just too ironic and funny.

Haven't these people and schools ever taught or learned that you don't bite the hand that feeds you?

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Sad, perhaps an a world shattering event like an economic collapse will finally wake them up and realize that the real world is a cruel place.

For too long, many of them have known nothing about true hardship. An economic collapse will probably give them the only real education they'll ever have.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

If you're going to rule out drugs and sex we're not going to have anything fun to do.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
All good little communists need a manifesto.

I can't take anyone seriously when they use SJW buzz words such as identity group and marginalized communities. What those phrases actually mean is special and preferential treatment.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I'm against the "hecklers veto" by any party, as it infringes on others' speech. However, recently it's been SJWs that are engaging most often the hecklers veto to stop people from speaking on campuses. I guess this group didn't enjoy experiencing feedback themselves, although alumni disagreeing or admin punishing them does not constitute heckler veto.

The problem is that many of these people are dogmatic ideologues. They believe not only that a huge range of things are hate speech beyond the legal definition, AND that their brand of identity politics is 100% true. Therefore, not only is it okay to shut down others and attack them, it's morally justified. It's also why they don't see any double standards. "Why would we respect and allow literal Nazis to oppress people through hate speech? We are different"

edit on 4-5-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Sad, perhaps an a world shattering event like an economic collapse will finally wake them up and realize that the real world is a cruel place.

For too long, many of them have known nothing about true hardship. An economic collapse will probably give them the only real education they'll ever have.

Ship em to a 3rd world country to survive a few months....those that live would likely have a better understanding of just how good they have it in the US and understand that their issues with, well really anything, pale in comparison with what the majority of earth's population deals with daily.

Cant imagine how many would die in the first few days without clean water, organic foods and Starbucks....most would probably die of dysentery for lack of medical facilities or even their own knowledge of what they could do to sterilize water for drinking.

Instead they would likely bitch about having no access to social media with which to voice the local injustices, be jailed by the local people and die as mentioned above. I hold out little hope for the survival of those that fall into this category.
edit on 5/4/18 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I have issues I care about like everyone else but when people protest like this....acting like self entitled dumbasses,I really just like to tell them how much I really don't care and watch them get worked up.

"so you don't care about animal rights?"
Me:NOPE
"so you don't care about women's rights?"
"so you don't care about insert cause here"

If thats your "style" of protesting,I won't care no matter what it is.

People need to be told when they are being stupid without the politically correct fluffy stuff poured on top.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Since they cry over little things, I really wonder who will be competent enough to run the government in the next few decades. If these youngsters are the future, then disaster will come.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
So what was the manifesto?

Your post failed to mention this part...

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

The students indicated that disruption was one way to signal to administrators and alumni alike the urgency of their demands—which range from increased worker pay, to added mental health support, to greater transparency in Board of Trustees meetings.

This is only a part of the manifesto. The writer of the article failed to put most of it.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Has to be one of the funniest damned stories I've read in a long time!

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Yes!

This is awesome. Let them show up and tick off the school's primary gravy train ... the rich alums, and if they succeed, then no one will cough up funds for all those demands!

That'll show 'em!

Apparently, they have not learned from the example of Mizzou.
edit on 4-5-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Probably because the rest of it is fairly inflammatory in one way or another.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I still hate the term social justice warrior. Because Martin Luther king was a social justice warrior and he changed the world. It seems like a bad idea to lump everyone together into one group. It's okay to be a social justice warrior and fight to change things that need to be changed. These kids did it wrong. Antifa. Doing it wrong. Martin LUther king..doing it right.

We need a new term.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join