It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawaii Volcano Forces Evacuation

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
There was a large explosion at Halema`uma`u this morning.

PAHALA, HAWAII (HawaiiNewsNow) -

An explosive eruption from Kilauea's summit on Thursday morning sent an ash plume soaring some 30,000 feet into the air, and officials are warning that ash emissions will cover a large part of the Big Island.

www.hawaiinewsnow.com...

posted on May, 17 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
The plume looks like a pimple in the satellite image.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I talked to my sister, who lives in Kona, this morning.

Our house at Volcano took no damage from the earthquake(s). The house has a catchment water system and due to the activity from Halemaumau, we've diverted the gutters so they don't feed the water tank. There's only been a light dusting of ash so far.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I saw it on the German News today, stay safe over there (everyone)!

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
This situation is foremost in my thoughts each day. My sincere concern for you Phage, for your family and extended community in Hawaii.
edit on pm531pmTue, 22 May 2018 17:17:52 -0500 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I do have a question abut the possibility of explosions at the geothermal power plant. I have read many different areas of speculation and understand that over 2000 residents have been given gas masks, but my question is the reality and not the internet rumor and chatter about what might happen if the lava flow does breach the plant? I read that they have taken some or most of the liquid out in preparation yet youtube videos are saying that it could erupt causing a massive tsunami as well as toxic gases and aquatic killing possibilities.

What reality-based information have you discovered Phage?

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Ten wells were "quenched," which cools them with enough cold water to counter the pressure of volcanic steam coming from below, said Hawaii Gov. David Ige. The last well was plugged with mud because it had remained hot despite the infusion of water. Metal plugs in the wells, which run as deep as 8,000 feet (2,438 meters) underground, are an additional stopgap measure.

"All wells are stable at this point," said Ige. County officials are also monitoring various gases that may leak into the atmosphere.

Puna Geothermal, owned by Nevada's Ormat Technologies, was shut down shortly after Kilauea began spewing lava on May 3. The plant harnesses heat and steam from the earth's core to spin turbines to generate power. A flammable gas called pentane is used as part of the process, though officials earlier this month removed 50,000 gallons (190,000 liters) of the gas from the plant to reduce the chance of explosions.

CNBC.com - Geothermal plant's wells are plugged as Hawaii's volcano sends lava nearby.

BBC stated the plant also has hydrogen sulphide (link) which is a deadly gas. In general, when chemicals burn it is not a good idea to go inhale them!

And when they tell you to evacuate, it is generally a good idea! From also in the same article...

Underscoring the eruption's dangers, a Hawaii man was hit by a flying piece of lava over the weekend said the molten rock nearly sheared his leg in half.

Darryl Clinton told the Honolulu television station KHON that he was on the roof of a home helping to put out fires from flying rocks when an explosion a couple hundred yards away launched a "lava bomb" his way. It hit him above the ankle.

Clinton says doctors saved his leg, but he must avoid putting weight on it for six weeks.

Clinton was the first to suffer a major injury because of the eruption.

Oh how the MSM loves new and creative terms. I already hate it: lava bomb.

I can't believe it has been 3 weeks!!

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

BOMB

Volcanic bombs are lava fragments that were ejected while viscous (partially molten), and blocks are solid rock fragments; both are larger than 64 mm in diameter and are ejected during an explosive eruption.

Source: USGS Glossary: Bomb

Huh. Learn something new everyday!

2.5 inches is not that big to qualify as "bomb" in my book but who am I to argue with the USGS?

Thanks!

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

BOMB

Volcanic bombs are lava fragments that were ejected while viscous (partially molten), and blocks are solid rock fragments; both are larger than 64 mm in diameter and are ejected during an explosive eruption.

2.5 inches is not that big to qualify as "bomb" in my book but who am I to argue with the USGS?

Thanks!

I can of agree but then i would probably change my mind if a 2.5 inch one dropped on my leg!

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

BOMB

Thanks!

I can of agree but then i would probably change my mind if a 2.5 inch one dropped on my leg!

Good news is, that guy is going to keep his leg.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join