It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Really Needs Cops?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Going into the future we will begin to see more and more robotics taking over for some humans.

One role i see greatly filled in the future by computers is the police force.

Of coarse you can't replace them all but to be honest much of their official duties could be done easily and with less conflict carry out ticketing operations.
For that matter i see the county court house more automated soon.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Someone has to program those robot cops. I am sure you will not be able to talk your way out of a ticket with a robot. I am sure they will shoot at anyone that pulls a gun out. I am sure that they will break people's arms if they resist and slam their heads against the hood harder than a regular cop will. And of course, with CGI and precise technology they will be able to produce every bit of evidence they need to justify their killing of someone.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
"Dead or alive, you're coming with me"

edit on 3-5-2018 by Jefferton because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
Going into the future we will begin to see more and more robotics taking over for some humans.

One role i see greatly filled in the future by computers is the police force.

Of coarse you can't replace them all but to be honest much of their official duties could be done easily and with less conflict carry out ticketing operations.
For that matter i see the county court house more automated soon.

I actually think its a really good thing. When it's a robot the idea of deescalation is in an entirely different category (since robots don't need to fear for their lives like cops do). One would surmise that the incident of killings would decrease dramatically as the level of violence needed to carry out their duties would be much lower.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Any form of tech that has the ability to take a human life be it military drone or a police drone I am against. Tech can be hacked, and there needs to be a human making that decision.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Don't know what its like where you are but here in the UK a cop car basically has fire fighting/basic medical stuff in the boot so knowing how to use that will require a hell of a lot of training for any AI and if even to use it as sometimes the best thing to do is nothing to protect yourself as your actions will just end you up dead and perhaps your actions afterwards could save a lot more people.

Asimov's laws do provide a good idea but they're analogue not binary so letting one die to save seven is ok and generally most of those sort of situations always ended up with the robot stuck and is more a question of morality.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Anarchist!

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Robots knocking low-lifes and hillbillies around would combine two very entertaining types of reality shows.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Someone has to program those robot cops. I am sure you will not be able to talk your way out of a ticket with a robot. I am sure they will shoot at anyone that pulls a gun out. I am sure that they will break people's arms if they resist and slam their heads against the hood harder than a regular cop will. And of course, with CGI and precise technology they will be able to produce every bit of evidence they need to justify their killing of someone.

Well, at least people will have to pull a gun out. Now, they're being assassinated for far less.

But no, it won't be perfect. However, at least a robot will not have to respond with deadly force in every situation since no LEO life will ever be in danger with only a robot there. I would rather it break an arm apprehending a suspect than shoot the wrong person out of fear or lack of training.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I am sure they will shoot at anyone that pulls a gun out

Why do you think that? Police shoot people out of fear for there life. Robots would be bullet proof and have no fear for their lives. In fact why would a robot cop need a gun at all?

I am sure that they will break people's arms if they resist and slam their heads against the hood harder than a regular cop will.

No reason to use force when your 10 times stronger than the criminal and can't be hurt. Their hands would be like hand cuffs. Again cops slam people down because they can be over come physically. This is not an issue with robots.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Are you out of your mind?

Robots doing law enforcement?

Do you realize just how much of our tech world gets hacked currently, military drones included?

And you want law-enforcement robots to be able to be roaming the streets and dealing with high-stress situations when suddenly one gets hacked and goes on a rampage.

Lovely.. Now I have to figure out how to carry a mobile emp grenade for when a robot goes nuts AND my EDC kit for when a human looses their mind.

Robots are incapable of empathy, that is one of the biggest flaws.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

3rd rule of robotics would trigger in here and also the building a human like robot would not be like some terminator as the robot would have to switch itself off if the risk to a human became too much but what it could record and replay could be vital

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I doubt robots will take over for police.

Robots are good at repetitive jobs that they can be programmed for. They cannot, at this time, be programmed to communicate with humans, understand the nuances involved in that interaction and how it relates to the law they would be charged with enforcing.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
No more cops period.

That would be wonderful.

Or we can just gather up all the lunatic rednecks that love them and send them off to another planet to live out their fascist jack boot cult lives together.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
No more cops period. That would be wonderful.
Or we can just gather up all the lunatic rednecks that love them and send them off to another planet to live out their fascist jack boot cult lives together.

So I assume you've never been robbed.

link   

Robots knocking low-lifes and hillbillies around would combine two very entertaining types of reality shows.

A properly prepared gang of thugs could confuse a robot with a flashlight and a barking dog. Steal the robots gun and use it on the human cops when they came to collect the disabled pile of junk once known as unit 31.

The prop house still has a robot suit.

thanks for the short film concept. Lends itself to greenscreen and a little cgi tweaking. Casting call coming soon. Who needs a exprod. imdb credit?

edit on 3-5-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

link   

No more cops period.

That would be wonderful.

Yeah, wonderful.

And when the roving gangs that pop up immediately after all law enforcement is shut down home invade you to steal your goods and rape your wife and children come, you are going to call who again?

I sure hope your post was an attempt at trolling and your reality aren't that stupid.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

I read somewhere that Dubai, Tokyo, and another "smart" city that I can't recall, will be replacing 30% of their police with robots by 2020.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Cops are like lawyers,
Nobody likes them until they need one.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

No more cops period. That would be wonderful.

So I assume you've never been robbed.

Yea, it's quite telling when those who promote pure anarchy get smashed by someone wanting to do them harm and the first thing they do is call 911? What is also odd is many of these types are also in favor of doing away with 2nd......hmmmmmm either it's proof our so called educational system is severely flawed or just an example of how MKULTRA is alive and well thru the MSM.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join