It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Koreas: Pyonyang to reset its clocks on May 5

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   

North Korean dictator Kim Jung-un has has promised to advance the time in Pyongyang by half an hour in order to synchronize his country with its neighbor to the south.

During the summit with the South Korean president Moon Jae-in on Friday, April 27, the South Korean dictator promised to of his nuclear site in May. The "Supreme Leader" made another, more symbolic, promise to advance the time in Pyongyang by one half hour in order to synchronize it with its neighbor to the south, Seoul announced on Sunday.An announcement Monday by the by the official North Korean agency KCNA confirmed this, specifying that the date May 5 has been set.

The two Koreas have not shared the same time since 2015, when the North suddenly announced that all clocks in the country would be set back thirty minutes. Pyongyang had explained that it was to end the time zone imposed a century earlier by the Japanese colonizers and to mark the 70 th anniversary of its liberation from Tokyo.

Le Monde [Trans. DJW001]

This is just one of the many "symbolic gestures" Kim has made to show his desire for the peaceful reunification of the peninsula. They cost him nothing, and create favorable "optics." If the "denuclearization" talks fail, he can claim that it was the unwillingness of the United States to remove its forces from the region that is to blame. In fairness, Kim has good reason to fear that the United States may not be bargaining in good faith; he need only look to Libya, where its leader's concessions did not prevent American aggression and the removal of the regime.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Ummm...with the possible exception that...North Korea already stated that removing the US forces is no longer a precondition to disarmament and reunification talks...

Linky

With that being your only card played in the OP...and my removing it from play...

I win...now pay up...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Cool, now the US can import real kimchi from North Korea. I heard its the best.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...with the possible exception that...North Korea already stated that removing the US forces is no longer a precondition to disarmament and reunification talks...

Linky

With that being your only card played in the OP...and my removing it from play...

I win...now pay up...

YouSir

Disarmament and reunification talks. They can talk all they want but Kim is not about to actually disarm so long as there is an American presence on the peninsula. He would have to be an idiot to do so.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

Linky

I win...now pay up...

YouSir

Disarmament and reunification talks. They can talk all they want but Kim is not about to actually disarm so long as there is an American presence on the peninsula. He would have to be an idiot to do so.

Not true. The US State dept. said he can stay in power if he agrees, if not, fried kimchi at midnight doesn't go to well with dog meat.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   

I wouldn't trust that porky little terrorist as far as I could throw him.

You guys do realize this is the same guy who executes people with anti-aircraft cannons or dogs just for fun, right?

The same guy who lets millions of his own people starve to death in prison camps...

The same guy who indiscriminately launches ballistic missiles over other countries...

The same guy who defies worldwide nuclear test bans and nukes his own country...

...and now, all of a sudden, he's had a change of heart and suddenly wants peace????

Yeah, right!! I've got some oceanfront property for sale in Iowa too!

Bottom line: Porky Douchebag is up to something! He has no intent of peace whatsoever.

P.S. Maybe he did more damage with those nukes than first thought, and now he's sitting on an environmental catastrophe and wants the world to help him clean it up. He's definitely up to something.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Let's think about that for a moment...

The population of NK is approximately 25m. 24m of those would light him on fire and toss him in a pit of human excrement to die...if they didn't think they'd lose their head for it. The only way he can stay in power is if he can rule his people with an iron fist (and an anti-aircraft cannon). Consequently, he's going to stay on the World's hit list, if for no other reason than human rights violations. What, he's going to just magically stop all that and suddenly become this hero??? It's not even possible. He, his despot father and grandfather have exterminated millions of people, entire generations. He and his family have tortured, raped and brutalized his people to the point they have been reduced to eating sticks and bugs. There's no way the people are just going to suddenly forgive this guy. There's no way he can stay in power! And, Kim knows all this; don't be fooled.

Secondly, Kim also knows that if he were to magically open his doors he would have a humanitarian crisis on his hands the likes of which the World has never seen. It would make Darfur look like recess at grade school.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

Linky

I win...now pay up...

YouSir

Over here in the UK, the newspaper articles talk about his nuclear test mountain site having collapsed from too many nuclear explosions. He can't do any more development there and if he fires off any more missiles, all imports would be
blocked. He only stays in power because the capital city has the luxuries of the West while everyone else lives as peasants.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Well, I 'm personally sending a bunch of Corona's and seventeen cases of Dos Equis.........IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

Viva la Mexico
edit on 30-4-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

Their timing is dynamite
edit on 30-4-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Secondly, Kim also knows that if he were to magically open his doors he would have a humanitarian crisis on his hands the likes of which the World has never seen. It would make Darfur look like recess at grade school.

China will never allow genuine reunification; it would remove a military.buffer zone. What Kim is angling for is "special economic zones" that would allow direct investment by South.Korean firms which would take advantage of cheap labor there. Moon would definitely go.for that, provided South.Koreans could visit with their kin in the North. Limited reunification. Unfortunatelty, denuclearization is not in the cards.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

I win...now pay up...

Win what? Please explain. Your post makes absolutely no sense.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Unification the border comes down many millions pour into SK, war won.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

Unification the border comes down many millions pour into SK, war won.

What makes you think that's a "win"????

It's more like a nightmare...logistically, economically, socially and politically.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

You guys do realize this is the same guy who executes people with anti-aircraft cannons or dogs just for fun, right?

The same guy who lets millions of his own people starve to death in prison camps...

The same guy who indiscriminately launches ballistic missiles over other countries...

The same guy who defies worldwide nuclear test bans and nukes his own country...

...and now, all of a sudden, he's had a change of heart and suddenly wants peace????

Bottom line: Porky Douchebag is up to something! He has no intent of peace whatsoever.

P.S. Maybe he did more damage with those nukes than first thought, and now he's sitting on an environmental catastrophe and wants the world to help him clean it up. He's definitely up to something.

I could never imagine a true "peace" but a détente like we had with the old Soviet Union, I could live with that.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   
If they're yakkin', they ain't shootin'. I choose to see that as promising.

These past couple of weeks have had more promise than I can recall just off hand.

As for China not allowing it? They've nothing to say in the matter, unless they want to invade, and restart a war that they damn near lost. ...and I doubt they want to start a war. As military buffers go, an 850-900 mile border isn't all that impressive, really. Worth going to war over? Doubt it.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Any time where we aren't shooting at each other is a plus.

You could call "peace" just the periods between the times where we're shooting each other.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Agreed.

Some peace's are a bit more, well, peaceful than others, though.

While I"m not totally onboard with trusting Un, I like the direction.

"Trust, but verify."

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   

What difference is there between how you describe what they do, and what the United States does? All because Red, White, and Blue, right?

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

As for China not allowing it? They've nothing to say in the matter, unless they want to invade, and restart a war that they damn near lost. ...and I doubt they want to start a war.

Invade? Who said anything about invading? All those Chinese advisers are there to help the legitimate DPRK government to defend itself against American aggression. They held a referendum and everything. Welcome to the 21st century.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

What difference is there between how you describe what they do, and what the United States does? All because Red, White, and Blue, right?

Uhhhh....No. You're not serious are you???? The difference? ...

1. The anti-aircraft cannon and packs of snarling dogs are commonly accepted forms of punishment in the US??? Yeah....no.

2. I could have missed it, but last time in the I checked in the US I didn't see 3+ generations of family names going to prison for life in concentration camps because a single family member said something negative about the president!

3. The US regularly launches ICBM's, with no idea where they are going to land, over Russia and China? Like NK does over Japan? Nope.

4. The US regularly violates international nuclear test ban treaties by detonating full strength nuclear weapons inside mountains, collapsing them and creating such environmental nightmares even neighboring countries are scared??? Uhhhh...NO, no they don't.

Yeah, the US regularly does all that stuff all the time, right? I don't think so. Not even close!

top topics

join