It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Texas to Treat Masculinity as a 'Mental Health' Issue

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Seems right on que when the antigun people are now screaming for everyone in the US to be tested for "mental illness", with a zero gun policy for "such persons".

You'll note there is nothing at all in there about discontinuing all those hyper-violent and hyper-masculine sports like football and basketball and track and field and the rest that expect men to go out and *gasp* sweat and compete against one another and try to be the *best* instead of everyone hugging and taking home participation trophies for showing up at all.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: shawmanfromny

What in the name of god did I just ####ing read?

A bunch of conservative billionaire-supplied pot-stirring bulls#.

How? you can go read it on the University website........the fact that this "class" is even taking place is absolutely asinine and ridiculous.

People need to stop trying to tell other people how to live, how to be, and how to feel......that goes for both sides.

If they dont like it, dont be around them, both sides.....

I agree, there's too much of it. People don't need a nanny Gov intervening on their God given right to be Human. This is over the top, this # needs to stop on both sides of the Gender Train.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   
The only mental health issue I need help with is how to tolerate SJWs and Progressives. They get on my nerves because they want to be in everyone’s business.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

It's an outreach program? Definitely not mandatory.

MasculinUT is a project by Voices Against Violence in the Counseling and Mental Health Center led by a steering committee of UT Austin students, faculty, and staff. We aim to promote healthy masculinities on the UT Austin campus through public events, educational workshops, and other forms of student involvement. Our goal is to impact campus culture to increase acceptance of gender diversity, promote healthy relationships with an emphasis on consent, and prevent interpersonal violence.

What scumbags! AMIRITE?

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

Also on their website:

MasculinUT recognizes unhealthy masculinity as restrictive and exclusionary in the sense that it only affords a narrow definition of what it means to be masculine. This definition of masculinity also restricts what is acceptable in terms of appearance. This also makes it exclusionary, because a restrictive definition of masculinity depends on excluding people from that definition. Students who do not feel what a "real man" should feel, think the way a "real man" thinks, or looks the way a "real man" is supposed to look are vulnerable to violence from others who cannot accept male students who stray from this narrow definition.

cmhc.utexas.edu...

So in essence, let's protect the wimpy, spineless, "vulnerable",intimidated, effeminate males from getting their feelings hurt from "Alpha" males. Grow a set of balls. BOO HOO

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Well, they all play those hyper-beta sports like soccer. All of the men at my school played football and all of the tiny beta boys played soccer.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Having the Male be the breadwinner is so sexist on so many levels! Can't the women earn a decent enough wage?

Women Love Milquetoast Males don't you know?

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I don't know. There were some pretty fine guys playing soccer at my high school, but then, our football program sort of sucked.

I went to a basketball school. That's where the cream of the crop was. Then you were looking at baseball and soccer for the next best.

Guys at my school competed for the spots in the successful programs, and our football coach, while a really likable guy, wasn't that good at coaching football.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Do you have any better examples of unhealthy masculinity?

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

The UT paradigm of masculine. They import only the finest from Cali!

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Add that to a list of schools my kids wont be going to.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Altering the definition of “masculinity” so that it is more inclusive, so that it even includes people who are not masculine, is straight up woo. While we’re at it, we should make the sense of humour more inclusive because it excludes people who are not funny. Complete nonsense.
edit on 29-4-2018 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

While we’re at it, we should make the sense of humour more inclusive, because it exclude people who are not funny.

Excellent and very proficient point that.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny
So in essence, let's protect the wimpy, spineless, "vulnerable",intimidated, effeminate males from getting their feelings hurt from "Alpha" males. Grow a set of balls. BOO HOO

Is this a comment of an actual man, or a boy desperately trying to project that he is?

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

i heard something simular a few months back. Support groups popping up on campaus helping men with thier " toxic masculinity syndrom". Apparently with the discovery of 76, and growing, gender classifications Its wrong to be a normal hetersexual male anymore.

This liberal mindset and idiology that we are being force fed has me ready to vomit. What freedoms and rights are they going after next? I mean if I cant be a beer chuggin, testosterone guzzling, nudy bar hoppin, contact sports lovin red blooded American male. Whats the point?

My presence on a campus today would start a trigger fest.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

No kidding.

So, we're pretty well stuck moving to establish new residency by the time ours hits high school, and now he won't be going to UT (not that I wanted him to go there anyhow, but I was pragmatic over it).

Ours is a very joyful little boy, and definitely a BOY.

He's sensitive and I love that, and I have no intention of shaming him for his fantasies about being a family man someday.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: ketsuko

Well, they all play those hyper-beta sports like soccer. All of the men at my school played football and all of the tiny beta boys played soccer.

Played both football and soccer. Continue to play soccer to this day and I gotta say, the ladies love the men who are used to moving for more than 10 seconds at a time.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

No. They aren't making humor more inclusive. Humor hurts people's feelings, so they're just plain killing it.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Seems right on que when the antigun people are now screaming for everyone in the US to be tested for "mental illness", with a zero gun policy for "such persons".

You'll note there is nothing at all in there about discontinuing all those hyper-violent and hyper-masculine sports like football and basketball and track and field and the rest that expect men to go out and *gasp* sweat and compete against one another and try to be the *best* instead of everyone hugging and taking home participation trophies for showing up at all.

Good catch there, nothing at all about fixing the problem was noted in either article. I never was hooked on sports myself, but I did like hunting, fishing, canoeing, camping, and hiking. Not much competition there. Except with the fish and animals. Skunks always win.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

Where I live soccer and football were both fall sports so it was a pretty binary decision. I did play soccer a few seasons when I was in grade school, but it wasn’t much fun.

Football and baseball were my sports. I also loved basketball, but I played for fun since I have short tyrannosaurus arms and didn’t have the long build needed to excel on the court.

edit on 2018/4/29 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join