It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Texas to Treat Masculinity as a 'Mental Health' Issue

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   

So, now there is a thing called a “healthy model of masculinity,” which apparently demeanizes men who act like strong, self assured individuals, because they're more prone to be bullies and become violent.

This doesnt even make sense......I was bullied all through Highschool, and I delt with it and them, which is why I am a Strong, Self assured, driven individual......

These idiots keep trying to "save" people from pain, and all they are doing is making them where they will not be able to handle the world or even function.

Even IF the WHOLE of the US turned into this fantasy they have, the rest of the world doesnt give two sh!ts about how fragile you are, and would run you over....

Good..........GOD........and in TEXAS where i was born and raised of all places........

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: shawmanfromny

What in the name of god did I just ####ing read?

A bunch of conservative billionaire-supplied pot-stirring bulls#.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yeah, but on the internet everyone is tough manly man.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
The cause of this issue is people who themselves feel inferior and weak. Instead of improving themselves or accepting their conditions, they attempt to enforce weakness on those they subconsciously feel intimidated by in order to compensate for their own weakness and inferiority.
Find me a heterosexual woman who wouldn't be interested in a man on the grounds that he's successful, strong, active, able and willing to provide for his family, able to stand up for himself, and able to sexually please her. That list is a joke.

If you're a man and you feel pressured to "act like a man", whatever that means, then in reality you're just a weak-minded suggestible sheep who has no actual strong self-identity.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

How? you can go read it on the University website........the fact that this "class" is even taking place is absolutely asinine and ridiculous.

People need to stop trying to tell other people how to live, how to be, and how to feel......that goes for both sides.

If they dont like it, dont be around them, both sides.....

link   

originally posted by: Swills

hmmmmmm....

pjmedia.com...

Treating masculinity as if it were a mental health crisis

cmhc.utexas.edu...

The MasculinUT program does not treat masculinity as a “mental health issue,” and any such statements are simply not accurate

What is PJ Media?

PJ Media Pjmedia.jpg Type Privately held company Industry Online media Founded 2004 Founder Charles Foster Johnson, Roger L. Simon Headquarters United States Key people Aubrey Chernick Roger L. Simon Products PJ Media, PJTV Website pjmedia.com PJ Media (originally known as Pajamas Media) is an American conservative news, opinion, and commentary collaborative blog that was founded in 2004. Its majority owner is technology entrepreneur, billionaire,[1] and angel investor Aubrey Chernick.[2]'

Ah, a conservative blog run by a billionaire. It all makes sense now. Keep drinking that conservative billionaire Koolaid!

I guess they got a little flack from the people in Texas and had to do a clarification..

link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

Scooter, I'm the baddest ass in size 14 4-inch pink ####-me pumps you'll ever meet.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   

I can understand in a way.

Honer, bravery, those are types of healthy masculinity.

While jealousy, destruction, can be seen as unhealthy masculinity.

Be interesting to see where this leads.

+4 more 
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

So, now there is a thing called a “healthy model of masculinity,” which apparently demeanizes men who act like strong, self assured individuals, because they're more prone to be bullies and become violent.

This doesnt even make sense......I was bullied all through Highschool, and I delt with it and them, which is why I am a Strong, Self assured, driven individual......

These idiots keep trying to "save" people from pain, and all they are doing is making them where they will not be able to handle the world or even function.

Even IF the WHOLE of the US turned into this fantasy they have, the rest of the world doesnt give two sh!ts about how fragile you are, and would run you over....

Good..........GOD........and in TEXAS where i was born and raised of all places........

You were misled on this one (thank PJ)

What they're (UT outreach) trying to get it across to guys that there's no one singular, rigid Male Archetype to follow, so don't spend your life wasting time & energy trying to pound the square peg in the round hole -- you're fine the way you are, one of the many shades of Man.

link   

originally posted by: Scrubdog

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
They ALL flew over the cuckoo's nest!
Feminism was a good thing to a point, like all movements they have no clue when to stop.
Somebody gets power or money, groups are created and they consider themselves indispensable to society.
So they end up creating new paranoid schemes they must protect womenfolk from.
Men are too....manlike.
God save us from the Estrogen Stormtroopers.

No, it doesn't say that.

It says there's more than one way to be a man and not conforming to what society tells you is not cause for believing yourself to be a failure.

That's all.

Yeah, this is basically all it says. I see a bunch of people very insecure in their masculinity having very stereotypical girl-like conniption fits over their own misunderstanding of the outreach, though.

No, it really doesn't.

I'd look into reading comprehension outreach efforts if I was in your shoes.

Yes, you do see a bunch of people very insecure in their masculinity having a conniption fit about the fact that this program exists to help people, you seem to be one. I'm wondering what about it threatens you?

Not a thing about it threatens me or who I am, so I am wondering who you're pointing out? If you're trying to "be a man about it," I'd again point out that reading comp is quite manly, and could help considerably.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Feminism was a good thing to a point, like all movements they have no clue when to stop.
Somebody gets power or money, groups are created and they consider themselves indispensable to society.
Men are too....manlike.

No, it doesn't say that.

It says there's more than one way to be a man and not conforming to what society tells you is not cause for believing yourself to be a failure.

That's all.

Yeah, this is basically all it says. I see a bunch of people very insecure in their masculinity having very stereotypical girl-like conniption fits over their own misunderstanding of the outreach, though.

No, it really doesn't.

Yes, you do see a bunch of people very insecure in their masculinity having a conniption fit about the fact that this program exists to help people, you seem to be one. I'm wondering what about it threatens you?

Not a thing about it threatens me or who I am, so I am wondering who you're pointing out? If you're trying to "be a man about it," I'd again point out that reading comp is quite manly, and could help considerably.

Sarcasm is not your thing, is it? Have a cookie and go powder your nose.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Men are too....manlike.

No, it doesn't say that.

That's all.

In my defense, what do you expect, I worked construction with a bunch of guys for over twenty years.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

I don't think anyone is forcing students to take this class right?

If not then it's not a big deal.

link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

Scooter, I'm the baddest ass in size 14 4-inch pink ####-me pumps you'll ever meet.

When the hell are you going to start making bumper stickers? I'm waiting, DB
XD

Edit: Congratulations DB, it took over 7 years to find a worthy quote to put in my sig. You dun gud.
edit on 4/29/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: trollz

Find me a heterosexual woman who wouldn't be interested in a man on the grounds that he's successful, strong, active, able and willing to provide for his family, able to stand up for himself, and able to sexually please her. That list is a joke.

Exactly, add to that, those characteristics to a woman are in the feking DNA to find attractive. It continues the survival of the species...

Youre not going to suddenly make women like or be attracted to men who are extremely effeminate, get their feelings hurt too easy, or are push overs.......no matter how many classes you want to have , or what agenda you try and push.....

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

How? you can go read it on the University website........the fact that this "class" is even taking place is absolutely asinine and ridiculous.

People need to stop trying to tell other people how to live, how to be, and how to feel......that goes for both sides.

If they dont like it, dont be around them, both sides.....

Where does it say they're telling people how to live?

What it actually says and is geared toward, are toward men who feel like society is telling them how to live and it's not working for them, and this program seems to be geared at doing nothing more than telling them to "not let other people tell you how to live, how to be, how to feel" - to use your words perfectly. Ironic, that what you're wanting is exactly what they're saying.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

While jealousy, destruction, can be seen as unhealthy masculinity.

That has nothing to do with "masculinity" , thats just poor coping mechanisms that are displayed by every gender, regardless of how "masculine" or "feminine" they are......

Them trying to lump that into "masculinity" is false equivalency......

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Men are too....manlike.

No, it doesn't say that.

That's all.

No, it really doesn't.

Sarcasm is not your thing, is it? Have a cookie and go powder your nose.

If I missed you being sarcastic, than my apologies. I can do that.

But, I neither need a cookie nor need to powder my nose, thx.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   

You were misled on this one (thank PJ)

What they're (UT outreach) trying to get it across to guys that there's no one singular, rigid Male Archetype to follow, so don't spend your life wasting time & energy trying to pound the square peg in the round hole -- you're fine the way you are, one of the many shades of Man.

Well said.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Or tired of online conservatives lying about them and made a clarification for those who aren't so closed minded and judgemental. I think a lot of these online conservatives should fly down to Austin and enroll in this class. They definitely need it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join