It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Texas to Treat Masculinity as a 'Mental Health' Issue

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Treating masculinity as if it were a mental health crisis, “MasculinUT” is organized by the school’s counseling staff and most recently organized a poster series encouraging students to develop a “healthy model of masculinity.”

The program is predicated on a critique of so-called “restrictive masculinity.” Men, the program argues, suffer when they are told to “act like a man” or when they are encouraged to fulfill traditional gender roles, such as being “successful” or “the breadwinner.”

“If you are a male student at UT reading this right now, we hope that learning about this helps you not to feel guilty about having participated in these definitions of masculinity, and instead feel empowered to break the cycle!” the program offers.

University of Texas to Treat Masculinity as a 'Mental Health' Issue

So, now there is a thing called a “healthy model of masculinity,” which apparently demeanizes men who act like strong, self assured individuals, because they're more prone to be bullies and become violent. This school's counseling staff is probably made up of Liberals, who are concerned about "Beta" males low self esteem issues. Perhaps "Beta" males are just spineless and emotionally weak individuals, who get intimidated and upset, when they're in the presence of "Alpha" males. So let us pat them on the back and come up with a program that teaches men to be less empowering, so they don't hurt the "wimpy" guy's feelings. MasculinUT states that “traditional ideas of masculinity place men into rigid (or restrictive) boxes [which]... prevent them from developing their emotional maturity.” This is ludicrous. Perhaps the wimpy "Beta" males are experiencing this, but show me proof that the majority of confident, masculine men experience this. The fact is, in life, you're going to run into respectful and kind people, as well as, mean, arrogant and disrespectful people...irregardless of gender or race. There's no evidence that "Alpha" males tend to be more violent or aggressive and it states that in this article.

Though the school seems to justify this by claiming that masculinity can cause men to lash out at other people and themselves, the school did not respond to a request for comment to clarify.

There is no evidence that masculinity itself contributes to violence. Universities that run similar programs, such as UNC-Chapel Hill and Northwestern, have admitted that their programming isn’t supported by any evidence.

pjmedia.com...

However, if you go to the MasculinUT (Voices Against Violence/Healthy Masculinity Project) at the University of Texas at Austin's webpage, you'll find this diagram:

The best comment I've read on this topic so far, sums it up perfectly:

This is a program for effeminate male Democrats and masculine female Democrats to help them transcend the boundaries of stupidity into insanity.

pjmedia.com...

edit on 4/29/2018 by shawmanfromny because: added info.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Ha! I've been waiting for a couple days to see how long this story would take to arrive here.

*grabs popcorn*

The sad thing about it is that they acknowledge this has not actual scientific basis at all, but they're going to treat it as if it is a mental health thing. Oh, and one of the things about masculinity that's bad? The desire to care for others ... so, you know, being a responsible father figure is bad now, fellas. You should hit it and leave and let the woman deal with it all on her own.

You know there are men who will read that image into things.

What a disaster in waiting this is turning out to be.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   
That is more of a hormonal and male dominance thing. I know teens get all wound up in their hormones and are a little nuts, but that is normal behavior. I thought when over half of the people did something it is considered normal. Women hyped up on estrogen can be much worse than guys on testosterone, nothing was said about that from what I see. The rules must have been created by women....overpowering estrogen driven women.

Yes, teenagers are not thinking with their brains half the time. But to call it a mental illness is so wrong. Call it temporary insanity or something like that.

By writing this I know I may be attacked by some of those ED women.

edit on 29-4-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I wouldn't even call it temporary insanity ... just hormonal imbalance from typical adolescence.

This is more like something cooked up by a woman who cannot conceive of the idea that men are just different. Let's face it - men have trouble understanding women, and woman should just accept that we have trouble understanding men instead of attempting to call them mentally ill.

This is like packing Thelma May off to the sanitarium for a bout of feminine hysterics back in Victorian Days. "Now be a good Thelma and take your laudanum or we might have to lobotomize you ..."

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Seems right on que when the antigun people are now screaming for everyone in the US to be tested for "mental illness", with a zero gun policy for "such persons".

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Sounds like the perfect course for 3rd wave toxic feminism and beta-males or anyone else programmed to have the TVs thinking for them because of poor parenting and upbringing and a total reliance on the state for 'ethics & standards'

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   

This is Stupidity at it's height. Holy Crap!

What are they gonna do about people who change genders? Who the hell is running the place? Are they all wacked?

+12 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Does someone want to show me where it says they are treating masculinity as a mental health issue?

I read all of that and all I see is a program where males who don't believe they're fitting the stereotype and thus having problems are encouraged to understand that there are all variations of both men and women.

Ricky here above assures us women are "worse" when "hyped up on estrogen" than guys on testosterone, so he apparently he sees problems with conforming to expectations.

And, I'm really sorry that you have such difficulty being a victim in a society where the rules are created for women, Ricky. And, no, I'm not a woman.

This is nothing more than just an outreach to guys who feel inadequate for whatever reason, nothing more. But, take it and run with it for your own purposes if it fits a preconceived perception. I don't see anything in there saying there's anything wrong with masculinity at all. But, then again, I'm not insecure in it and looking for slights, especially in higher education settings, which really throw some for a loop.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I wouldn't even call it temporary insanity ... just hormonal imbalance from typical adolescence.

This is more like something cooked up by a woman who cannot conceive of the idea that men are just different. Let's face it - men have trouble understanding women, and woman should just accept that we have trouble understanding men instead of attempting to call them mentally ill.

This is like packing Thelma May off to the sanitarium for a bout of feminine hysterics back in Victorian Days. "Now be a good Thelma and take your laudanum or we might have to lobotomize you ..."

Yeah, you got that pretty much right on. But they are not attempting to call them mentally ill, it appears they ARE calling them mentally ill.

Does anyone else think this is kind of strange to see this happening in Texas? Of all states, Texas would be the last place I would think it would happen.
edit on 29-4-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Men are too....manlike.
God save us from the Estrogen Stormtroopers.
The fact that any University actually allows this kind of prejudice should disallow them from any government funding.
edit on 29-4-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yeah, you got that pretty much right on. But they are not attempting to call them mentally ill, it appears they ARE calling them mentally ill.

Where?

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   
LMAO. Thats why my sooners keep kicking that ass..

Oh man this has to have those die hard Longhorn football fans screaming.

edit on 29-4-2018 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
They ALL flew over the cuckoo's nest!
Feminism was a good thing to a point, like all movements they have no clue when to stop.
Somebody gets power or money, groups are created and they consider themselves indispensable to society.
So they end up creating new paranoid schemes they must protect womenfolk from.
Men are too....manlike.

No, it doesn't say that.

It says there's more than one way to be a man and not conforming to what society tells you is not cause for believing yourself to be a failure.

That's all.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   
it's getting worse

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   

hmmmmmm....

pjmedia.com...

Treating masculinity as if it were a mental health crisis

cmhc.utexas.edu...

The MasculinUT program does not treat masculinity as a “mental health issue,” and any such statements are simply not accurate

What is PJ Media?

PJ Media Pjmedia.jpg Type Privately held company Industry Online media Founded 2004 Founder Charles Foster Johnson, Roger L. Simon Headquarters United States Key people Aubrey Chernick Roger L. Simon Products PJ Media, PJTV Website pjmedia.com PJ Media (originally known as Pajamas Media) is an American conservative news, opinion, and commentary collaborative blog that was founded in 2004. Its majority owner is technology entrepreneur, billionaire,[1] and angel investor Aubrey Chernick.[2]'

Ah, a conservative blog run by a billionaire. It all makes sense now. Keep drinking that conservative billionaire Koolaid!
edit on 29-4-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scrubdog

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
They ALL flew over the cuckoo's nest!
Feminism was a good thing to a point, like all movements they have no clue when to stop.
Somebody gets power or money, groups are created and they consider themselves indispensable to society.
So they end up creating new paranoid schemes they must protect womenfolk from.
Men are too....manlike.

No, it doesn't say that.

It says there's more than one way to be a man and not conforming to what society tells you is not cause for believing yourself to be a failure.

That's all.

Yeah, this is basically all it says. I see a bunch of people very insecure in their masculinity having very stereotypical girl-like conniption fits over their own misunderstanding of the outreach, though.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

everything is a damm mental disorder now..

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Right on their own website:

The MasculinUT program does not treat masculinity as a “mental health issue,” and any such statements are simply not accurate. It was established to bring more men to the table to address interpersonal violence, sexual assault and other issues.

cmhc.utexas.edu...

If you read the OP and you believed it you are an idiot.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   

What in the name of god did I just ####ing read?

I will caveat that throughout history a certain segment of the male population have always been a bunch of candy-assed wimps.

But to celebrate candy-assedness?

There is so much god-damned STUPID in that, I don't know where to start!

Just nuke us from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   

edit on 29-4-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join