It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The stages of Empire collapse and why.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

You didn't say country, go read your statement, get back to me longshanks 😁

Every country existed, you brought nothing to the planet but death, looting and violence, trumped up with arrogance and selfishness
Not much more than an oppressive lil kim was Great Britain, modern guns not modern hearts

Human pollution with a desire for greed

Well with all respect, just some, not all
edit on 30-4-2018 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

You didn't say country, go read your statement, get back to me longshanks

What you on about ?

you brought nothing to the planet but death, looting and violence, trumped up with arrogance and selfishness

If you dislike Britain that much, then stop using our language. Or is that the only language you can speak?

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Even though the British Empire tended to go after the less organized areas, there were some countries around. The less organized areas had kingdoms.

It's difficult really to know what existed in the past exactly. History is so confused and mixed up. But we know for sure that there was Rome and all of the political entities that existed back then. After that we had the greatest empire the world has ever seen - Tartaria. This lasted from the 1200's right up until America was being formed. It was the largest country to ever exist in the world to date. Genghis Khan not only ruled this large area directly but also exacted tribute from the European powers like Byzantium (which controlled Italy.) European nationalism was born partly from a desire to wrest their territory from empires like Rome and Tartaria. India was controlled by the Tartars and the Islamic middle east mostly maintained their independance because they were allied with Tartaria.

This great empire eventually divided due to infighting and much of it was conquered by Russia. Then you had the rise of the British Empire. Many of the British holdings in Asia like India were remnants of the Great Tartaria empire.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I took a class in Chinese history in college, and they went through the Empire Cycle many times. It goes like this:

1. Smaller states form. They fight amongst themselves.
2. One of the states manages to beat all the others, creating an empire.
3. The empire seeks to expand to gain more resources, ends up fighting with outlying areas. Very expensive.
4. The empire increases taxes to fund the fighting with these smaller outlying states / areas, but at the same time starts giving tax breaks to religious organization and government insiders, shrinking their revenue sources.
5. Increased crime and banditry result when ordinary citizens / subjects are no longer able to pay their taxes.
6. Empire stretches to the limit. More crime happens, and sometimes the army goes without getting paid.
7. Eventually one or more of the outlying states / bandits beats the empire to a standstill, gaining resources and a larger army.
8. Smaller states fight the empire and gain independence. The empire collapses from attack from these smaller states, loss of the military, loss of revenue.
9. Empire breaks up into smaller states.
10. Repeat from #1.

There doesn't seem to be a way to get out of the cycle, and many large empires continue to play it out to this day.
edit on 30-4-2018 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Yea, so it's not like a bunch of hippies start a giant commune that grows and grows until it gets corrupted and fascists take over and ruin it for everybody.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: toms54
Yea, so it's not like a bunch of hippies start a giant commune that grows and grows until it gets corrupted and fascists take over and ruin it for everybody.

Not quite. It's all about armies, expansion, taxes, and bandits.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

English language, ha ha, just stolen words from every other language,mfrench, German, Italian, Latin, nothing unique about stealing from others and claiming it your own.

Anyway, if you are whining about your language and me using it, I figure you know you have lost, well done

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

English language, ha ha, just stolen words from every other language,mfrench, German, Italian, Latin, nothing unique about stealing from others and claiming it your own.

Anyway, if you are whining about your language and me using it, I figure you know you have lost, well done

I never realised William Shakespeare was anything but English. Never heard of him being a German, Italian etc.

Shakespeare added 1.700 new words to the English language ( and other English poets and writers also added new words )

Blows your argument out of the water.

shakespeare-online.com...

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Judging from this conversation, I'd have to say our empire is collapsing as we speak.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

I never realised William Shakespeare was anything but English. Never heard of him being a German, Italian etc.

Shakespeare added 1.700 new words to the English language ( and other English poets and writers also added new words )

Who gives a toss, Shakespeare, boring crap, pretty much like the rest of what comes out of the U.K.
As the wise man Arthur Daly once said, England, Europes shopkeepers

Shakespeare, who cares that's pathetic

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Who gives a toss, Shakespeare, boring crap, pretty much like the rest of what comes out of the U.K.
As the wise man Arthur Daly once said, England, Europes shopkeepers

Shakespeare, who cares that's pathetic

Looks like i have been replying to an idiot.

Ta Ta

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Judging from this conversation, I'd have to say our empire is collapsing as we speak.

At the moment, the American Empire is fighting expensive wars in far-away places and taxing the crap out of its citizens. All it needs is for Michigan or Montana (or Texas again) to start getting organized by a charismatic leader, start building a functional guerrilla army and beefing up their borders and the US will start to tip over into that decline phase. It seems like a big jump, but it's not as fantastical as you might think.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Funny, to say Australia, Canada and New Zealand didn't is exist till they were colonised by England, well, I don't have to explain anything about you

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:39 AM
link   

I thought California was supposed to be next to secede.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

What nation in history has not brought death looting and violence to the planet lol?!?

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: toms54

Lol only according to hard right conspiracy sites lol..

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Naw those specific countries might have formed there but since there were already people there I think “would not exist” is a bold claim..

Maybe”wouldn’t have that name lol”

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I thought California was supposed to be next to secede.

There's a long list. Actually, Texas and California probably have enough resources to function as independent countries. And California has the barrier of the Sierra Mountains, which would make fighting an insurgent ground war nearly Afghanistan-level difficult.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Never happen..

Sure we might have a terrorist attack or 10 , but you would never get a state wide consensus..

Never, ever ever..

The civil war had a dividing line. The vast majority of pro-slavery people were in one region that could be fortified and defended..

We don’t have that dynamic at all now.

The reddest of red states still has 40% of the population being democrats/liberals..

And the exact same thing with the bluest states..

You can’t have state level rebellions when you don’t have a consensus.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

What nation in history has not brought death looting and violence to the planet lol?!?

colonisation is about profit, exploitation and economy so I don't imagine there has been anywhere violence hasn't occurred, there is always the off chance
The Brits have always been aggressive in expansion but for the most part they spread the better parts of Western Culture to third world countries
Better the Brits than the Spanish, seems that just about every country the Spanish colonised is still in a development process
I have met many Indians who are grateful for what Britain achieved in their country, many bitter people in India as well.

So grateful to our pohmie friends as opposed to disgruntled

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join