It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump says let guest workers into the country

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

It happened in Georgia here. They salvaged the situation by bussing in unpaid convict labor and essentially used slavery for two years (still legal in the US in the case of prison labor) while the state reversed the laws and bought time for the farmers to start bringing people back in.

This was after the farmers tried taking the states first suggestion which was to pay the field workers more. They were offering $30 and in some cases more per hour to anyone, and still had over 75% of positions going unfilled.

The farmers like the current situation much more. They were able to leverage prisoners for 2 years of unpaid labor, and then go back to offering migrants minimum wage.

Wow again!
Britain wouldn't be doing that any time soon, the government knows we need the migrant workers. Some plan will be hashed out to keep them.
I had an idea, what about offer some scheme to existing illegal immigrants where they get citizenship after doing a couple of seasons working farms? Too left field?

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Its a lifestyle decision. A US dollar goes pretty far in mexico.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Its a lifestyle decision. A US dollar goes pretty far in mexico.

Same here, 1£ GBP goes a long way further in Hungary, heck if I was Hungarian I'd do the same. The issue here is what happens when we leave the EU, and my gut instinct is the government will just offer easy to get work visas. We certainly can't do without the workers from poorer countries.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
I had an idea, what about offer some scheme to existing illegal immigrants where they get citizenship after doing a couple of seasons working farms? Too left field?

Migrant farm workers aren't really interested in citizenship. They come from Mexico where they have families. They spend 6 months of the year in the US working crops during the growing seasons where they save money. Then they go back to Mexico with their savings and lead upper middle class lifestyles due to the value of the dollar relative to the peso. While I think they could stand to make a little more money, given the importance of their work, by leveraging the different economic zones they're able to lead pretty nice lives and support a family.

That's why it costs so much more to get US workers into the fields, no one wants to do that labor unless they're getting a pretty nice lifestyle out of it, and it would take a very high wage to provide that lifestyle to someone living in the US full time.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

the biggest issue is that many immigrants do apply for citizenship but the government takes too long approving it, as a result of it taking so long, legal immigrants become illegal even if they do everything correctly, and once they are deported they can't return for 10 years.

just fyi if you were curious.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Thanks again for the interesting reply, it seems similar to the UK's need for foreign workers from poorer countries. Many seasonal workers come to farms for a summer which provide accomodation and everything except food/clothes. I've known a few save up a few grand then go back to their village with a stack of cash worth loads more spending power there.
I'd definitely do it if I was from a poorer nation, and could speak the language of course. English speaking nations have the biggest lure I reckon because most people's second language in the world is English.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

it's about assurance not jobs, you should realize how indirect americans can be about their reasons, they don't want to look racist or whatever so they use "jobs" as an argument, but what they really want is assurances by leadership about our national security and personal security.

while some are not even opposed to immigration, but people misunderstand and confuse "immigrant" and "illegal immigrant" because emotional investment blinds them to why people oppose open borders.

while others like me keep an open ear and is open to change according to the information and the situation, being unyielding on one direction or another makes you inflexible and slow adapting to ever changing situations. if you don't adapt you will fall behind and start making bad decisions which don't match the current situation or the evolving situations.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd It's interesting to speculate just what Trump means by saying he's going to let farmers have their guest workers in.

there is no need to speculate if you just actually listen to his own words, watched the event myself, its all over youtube, due diligence?

trump said farmers who cannot find needed staff will be permitted to bring in immigrants under a work visa that will expire when their job is done.

if you wanna speculate then lets speculate how does the government determine which farmers cant find american employees, and which farmers just arent even trying too

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Are these "guest workers" brown people perchance?

Coz last time i looked Trump was still up for building walls to keep migrant workers out.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I don't get it. One minute some of you folks are applauding Trump for keeping out these illegal immigrants since they're taking our jobs, then the next you're applauding Trump for letting migrant workers in to take our jobs....

That's probably because you're still thinking in black and white, while the rest of us are looking at full 32-bit color.

Illegal = bad. That's the problem with illegal immigration. Legal =/= bad. Legal immigration is a good thing. The difference between legal immigration and illegal immigration is that legal immigrants abide by our laws and illegal immigrants don't. I'm all for changing the laws, but dammit I expect people who want to live here to abide by them!

People are desperately trying to turn this into something else. The wall will not keep a single legal immigrant, legal migrant worker, legal tourist out. Not one. If someone is walking through the area where the wall will be without trying to go through immigration, then they're breaking the law. If they are going through immigration, then they get to walk through the door and the wall means nothing.

A good example is the 'caravan' in Tijuana. Here we have thousands of immigrants who claim they are fleeing Guatemala over persecution and want asylum in the US. But in order to get here, they walked over a thousand miles through Mexico. Did they ask for asylum in Mexico? Why not? Add to that the sheer number of them asking for asylum at the same time has overloaded the immigration system and made it impossible to let them all in. Now consider they are climbing the fence and sitting atop it, taunting us that they are going to just slip down the USA side and come in whether legal or not.

My first thought when I saw that was, honestly, was just shoot them off the top. Wouldn't take more than one or two and the rest would change their attitude real quick. I know that sounds cruel, but they put themselves into that situation.

If someone is actually being persecuted, I'm fine with letting them in. No problem. That's why we have asylum. But these fools have proved they don't want asylum; they just want to live here without following the law.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: NobodiesNormal

originally posted by: Byrd It's interesting to speculate just what Trump means by saying he's going to let farmers have their guest workers in.

there is no need to speculate if you just actually listen to his own words, watched the event myself, its all over youtube, due diligence?

trump said farmers who cannot find needed staff will be permitted to bring in immigrants under a work visa that will expire when their job is done.

if you wanna speculate then lets speculate how does the government determine which farmers cant find american employees, and which farmers just arent even trying too

But Trump's speech contradicts his earlier actions and the "build the wall" furor that he fostered.

I wonder just how sincere his recent statement is, personally. I rather doubt he's going to follow up on it because it will be greeted negatively by many at his rallies (as it was this time.)

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Are these "guest workers" brown people perchance?

Coz last time i looked Trump was still up for building walls to keep migrant workers out.

Who knows what he intended. Although I don't think many Russian models will be lining up to work in our fields.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

I don't get it. One minute some of you folks are applauding Trump for keeping out these illegal immigrants since they're taking our jobs, then the next you're applauding Trump for letting migrant workers in to take our jobs....

That's probably because you're still thinking in black and white, while the rest of us are looking at full 32-bit color.

Illegal = bad. That's the problem with illegal immigration. Legal =/= bad. Legal immigration is a good thing. The difference between legal immigration and illegal immigration is that legal immigrants abide by our laws and illegal immigrants don't. I'm all for changing the laws, but dammit I expect people who want to live here to abide by them!

People are desperately trying to turn this into something else. The wall will not keep a single legal immigrant, legal migrant worker, legal tourist out. Not one. If someone is walking through the area where the wall will be without trying to go through immigration, then they're breaking the law. If they are going through immigration, then they get to walk through the door and the wall means nothing.

A good example is the 'caravan' in Tijuana. Here we have thousands of immigrants who claim they are fleeing Guatemala over persecution and want asylum in the US. But in order to get here, they walked over a thousand miles through Mexico. Did they ask for asylum in Mexico? Why not? Add to that the sheer number of them asking for asylum at the same time has overloaded the immigration system and made it impossible to let them all in. Now consider they are climbing the fence and sitting atop it, taunting us that they are going to just slip down the USA side and come in whether legal or not.

Actually there's just around 100 of them (in spite of many inflated reports) and a lot of those are children.

And Mexico has taken some of them in. Immi gration officials are letting some in

...just FYI

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Actually there's just around 100 of them (in spite of many inflated reports) and a lot of those are children.

Good to know. I stand corrected.

I know a lot of it was probably media hype, but the caravan was reported at one time to have 1500 members in it.

And Mexico has taken some of them in.

Your link says nothing about Mexico allowing any of them to receive asylum. I hear reports that Mexico has refused to hear asylum cases, and the members of the caravan have not even asked for asylum in Mexico officially. I'm going to need something to refute that.

Now, you show me where they applied for asylum in Mexico and overwhelmed their system, and the remainder came to the US to try here, and I'll have a lot more compassion. But when someone is leaving their home asking for asylum, it is the height of stoopidity to travel 2000 miles through a foreign country without asking for asylum just to get to another country to ask for asylum. No, actually, it is an indication of dishonesty.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Depends on what they would be paid i suppose.

Good money is where you find it these days.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: namehere
a reply to: Xcathdra

the biggest issue is that many immigrants do apply for citizenship but the government takes too long approving it, as a result of it taking so long, legal immigrants become illegal even if they do everything correctly, and once they are deported they can't return for 10 years.

just fyi if you were curious.

That's not correct.

Once a naturalization or LPR petition is filed, the immigrant is protected until a decision on that petition has been made.

edit on 2-5-2018 by AnnaThema because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 03:17 AM
link   

it does not contradict the wall or border security, the only reason you would assume that is if you believe a wall is anti immigrants, when in reality it is only anti illegal immigrants.

hint, illegal immigrants take advantage of a system that benefits legal immigrants, in that way one is the enemy of the other. so assuming the wall is bad for both is nonsense.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
This is nothing new. Partisan hacks would see to it that Trump hates illegals.

Naw, he hates that they break the law emtering. Its all been about legal entry. Course, the leftist would have you believe he is anti immigrant and such, comical and simply wrong.

I want stronger border protection and solutions for revising our immigration system, tougher penalties for those that break the law trying to enter illegally.

What happens when these legal immigrants decide they want to stay.?

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Then kill them?

Wouldn't put it past him.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

Just like Trump, his supporters backflip in the same manner, it would be comical if it didn't affect all of us in one way or another.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join