It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Digital Zombies Lurch Forward

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I went to check my Yahoo mail account and this popped up.

guce.oath.com... ull

It's not the first time. I usually opt for "I'll do this later".

This appears to be an authorization for "Oath" to analyse the content of my emails.

This includes: analyzing content and information when you use our services (including emails, instant messages, posts, photos, attachments, and other communications), linking your activity on other sites and apps with information we have about you, and providing anonymized and/or aggregated reports to other parties regarding user trends.

I am not happy with this. We already have too much surveillance going on in our society and to go so far as to request people to sign off on the invasion of their privacy is really too much, I think.

I switched away from using Google as a search engine for similar reasons.

This phenomenon, unlimited intrusion into personal communications, is starting to appear like the military industrial complex in the sense that it is apparent that many, many JOBS in IT depend on the continuation and proliferation of the digital surveillance apparatus, just as many jobs in the military and the defense industries depend on the proliferation of war.

When is enough going to be enough? How sick does the society have to get before the zombie state is opposed effectively?

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

Oops, something went wrong
Please try again later

Interesting , your link and a search of guce.oath.com brings up the above.
If it is what you say it is then yeah , enough is enough and my Yahoo mail account will be left for nothing but spam to gather , I'm sick of internet companies intruding into my private life.

I'm a free man not a number !!!!

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Holy crap!!! Thats some 1984 shyte right there

Im not sure whats scarier, that they are requesting you let them into your personal life so much or that people would click "OK" to this.

On a positive note at least theyre asking permission and being very upfront about what they plan on doing, most of us have known all along that this sort of stuff was going on behind the scenes but its refreshing to see a company being up front and just turkey slapping you in the face with it

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Alcohol poisoning (SNIP) yeah! See ya in the next world!

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Please try again later

If it is what you say it is then yeah , enough is enough and my Yahoo mail account will be left for nothing but spam to gather , I'm sick of internet companies intruding into my private life.

I've been trying to disconnect my private Email addresses from the Internet for the past few months now. Too many recruiters trying to pressgang me into hell jobs. Just about disconnected from everything, except for Linkedin and a couple of recruitment agencies who just won't get the message.

If you let these companies read your Email, you'll start getting coincidental adverts and contacts that correlate to whatever you sent an Email about. Sometimes, it'll sound like they are deliberately trying to wind you up. If you tell someone "that restaurant was really awful last night. The steak had the taste and consistency of a burnt truck tyre dipped in napalm. Thought I was going to explode last night", then you'll get adverts for truck insurance, indigestion tablets, dietary advice, restaurant guides.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The same thing happened to me when I tried to use the link. I did make a screen shot of part of the scrollable page that first appeared when I tried to access my email.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

This reminded me of something. My wife and myself were talking, just talking openly about getting a certain peice of art for our walls. Minutes later she opened her Facebook and lo and behold, the first post was of the artwork we were discussing. This has happened to me also. Mind you, this was talking conversation, nothing being texted or written. iPhones. Verbal intrusion. By the way, we bought the art work.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

It must be a North American thing as I've checked my account and have seen nothing like that , I did get a popup asking if I wanted to upgrade to Yahoo Pro though.

Perhaps it will be coming here too or maybe our internet laws prevent it , IDK.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I am in the process of moving all my emails off these big data servers and on to my own domain and private server. I am so tired of getting a spam email for some crappy product and then have ads pop up for it on all of my platforms.

I am also using Duck Duck Go as my search engine which doesn’t track me. Still looking for a good browser option since they tend to track you as well.

What browser are you all using?

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I'm using Opera, but I have switched to Duck Duck Go as a search engine. It's very depressing. You'd think Google, with its massive amount of traffic, would not need to degrade its users' internet experience by data mining them and targeting ads toward them. I don't want to be targeted and dunned by some merchant to sell me stuff based on Google's perceptions of what I am interested in. Run random ads! I may adjust my interests accordingly. If one of my neighbors started hounding me to buy something I'd be telling him to get out of my face.

Memo to Google, Yahoo et al: Don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs!
edit on 28-4-2018 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I found out how to access my email account without "agreeing" to the new privacy terms. I clicked on the "X" at the corner of their pop up and it closed and proceeded to the email inbox, see below.

I wanted to go to the email "feedback" page to complain about this new level of intrusion into my privacy. Maybe there is an opt out option that I could invoke. When I tried to do that, the "Oath" page popped up again and wouldn't let me proceed to the "feedback" page. This time there was no little X that I could click to get by the pop up. See below.

This is very very annoying and I am telling you that if I was of the "attorney on retainer class" there would be a letter on the way to Yahoo. My email account is connected to my credit card purchases and other business which are important to me and I don't want those things disrupted and interfered with in the name of "enhancing my internet experience".

There is a nasty lawsuit lurking in the wings here. This is shaping up as a colossal "bait and switch" operation where people sign up under one set of terms and conditions, establish their on line identity, including business identity involving transactions, and then have the terms and conditions changed in order to enable greater levels of privacy intrusion by the service provider, and this is compounded by then blocking the user from complete access to the service until agreement to allow the greater intrusion is obtained.

Write to your congressional representatives, people. THIS IS HIGH HANDED AND JUST PLAIN WRONG!

Note: To be more than fair, I was able to access my inbox after jumping through a hoop, so I could access that, but I was not able to give feedback to Yahoo on the situation. I think the situation is still substantially as I have described it above.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Please try again later

I managed to cough this up after some fiddling with the website name. Is it me, or is calling it Oath got a creepy vibe to it?
policies.oath.com...

new topics

top topics

join