It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farewell, No. 16: scientists left 'miserable' after world's oldest spider dies aged 43

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Dear ATS Readers, Writers,

The world’s oldest known spider has died at the age of 43, outliving its nearest rival by 15 years, Australian scientists have reported.

Affectionately known as “Number 16”, the female Giaus Villosus or trapdoor spider had been under observation in the wild since its birth in 1974.

The arachnid is believed to have survived for so long by sticking to one protected burrow its entire life and expending the minimum of energy.

Previously the oldest known spider was a tarantula in Mexico, which died at the age of 28.

Farewell, No. 16: scientists left 'miserable' after world's oldest spider dies aged 43

Holy smokes.... a bloody spider living 43 years?!?!?!?! WOW... and of course right here in good ol Oz... land of all them creepy poisonous snakes too..Ha!

Stuck to one "protective burrow".... "expending the minimum of energy"....

Granted, it is a trap door type of spider...

I had no idea Arachnids invented being a couch potato; or were the original "computer trolls in momma's dark skanky basement".

Seriously, an amazing long term observation, and in the wild no less!!!!

Pravdaseeker

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: pravdaseeker

That is amazing! Oh and...thank you for not providing a picture. Spiders freak me out. lol

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: pravdaseeker

Holy smokes.... a bloody spider living 43 years?!?!?!?!

She was probably bitten by a radioactive Aussie.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:09 AM
link   
It probably is not the oldest spider in the world, but it is the oldest known spider in the world. I wonder how tame the spider was after all those years. I wonder if it watched TV or got to play any games with the scientists.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

It was 'observed' in the wild.

It's like ant watchers, they don't do anything but watch the creature(s) and observe it's significance, beauty, brutal nature, and peacefulness. Whether or not it was the oldest, it goes to show how a stress free life can lead to a long life.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: pravdaseeker So Perhaps these glum Scientist's can focus on the upside
of this.
The second oldest spider just got promoted!

hurray!!
edit on 28-4-2018 by grubblesnert because: minus e

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Whats?!?!?!?!

I thought spiders only lived like a single year and died after laying eggs. I see them dead all the time. Am I seeing the old-timers?

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Hey there Narco..

I thought ok "maybe" where it NEVER freezes, etc... maybe a spider could live for 4 or 5 years; but nothing the likes of this one.

It surely was living in an area it never froze..Oz has a lot of places like that.

Depending on where you live, if it is a colder place, those spiders are as you said...a very short lived spider..Ha!

Pravdaseeker

a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:07 AM
link   

ahh makes sense.

We experience some pretty dramatic temperature changes with the seasons in my neck of the woods. Thanks for the clue

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   
At least large chunks of Australia are warm all year round - that way the horrible buggers don’t head indoors for the winter. Not so bad in the UK but an annual winter home invasion of funnel webs - no ta!

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I outlived the oldest spider in the world.
So...I've got that going for me.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 02:50 AM
link   

a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Hello again Narco... YEP!

As some of my mates would say... "Well, there you go mate." When you got something all figured out..Ha!

We got one called a huntsman that get pretty enormous.. they look far more scary than the really dangerous spiders.

The huntsman has been known to make some men scream like a girl...HA! My vocal cords are still hurting from that one...

It was only 4 inches from my face and EATING another fairly large spider... Hey, you would scream too I bet...

Pravdaseeker

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Holy smokes.... a bloody spider living 43 years?!?!?!?! WOW

I agree , Wow , had no idea arachnids could live that long , wonder what Number 16 taught us other than some creepy crawlies can outstay their welcome for so long.
I may think twice before I reach for the rolled up newspaper next time .... but probably not.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Oddly enough,
that spider is wiser than
most of the "people" I encounter
these days.

"Surviving so long by sticking
to its one Protected Burrow".

One would infer reclusiveness
from the above quote,
but that would be more of an
assumption than fact.

SAVVY?

Great Thread!

S&F

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Good to see you
are still shining.

Shine on like the
Harvest moon...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

RIP Number 16

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Hyperbole ? ... "scientists left 'miserable' after world's oldest spider dies" More like Asylum escapees .....No ? If your metal capacity is that affected, then you are crazy.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: rickymouse

It was 'observed' in the wild.

It's like ant watchers, they don't do anything but watch the creature(s) and observe it's significance, beauty, brutal nature, and peacefulness. Whether or not it was the oldest, it goes to show how a stress free life can lead to a long life.

See, that spider lived so long because it looked up stuff on the web.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   
If scientists become miserable over an old dead spider, they dont have much problems in the real world lol

RIP creepy creature.

I hate spiders..

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   

a reply to: Elementalist

Hello Elementalist, you got a point there...

Headlines for news stories are a lost art. In todays world it is all about making it good enough for someone to click on it, right?

Then again scientists get attached to odd things... some get all "hot and bothered" over something called string theory; some get all absorbed with spiders? Ha!

If that scientist was relying on that spider for future money to fund their research... then they would be devastated I suppose. The gravy train derails for scientists when their subject of study no longer exists...

Pravdaseeker

top topics

<<   2 >>

join