It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six planes flying together extremely high up - explanations?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

I suspect stopping somewhere for crew rest and Customs, but one of the tankers went into Gander.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

What do you mean? You already said they were heading to the US?

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

They are, and two of them are in US airspace. But all three tankers were reported to have fighters with them. One of the KC-10s went into Gander, and one climbed above refueling altitude as they were crossing Prince Edward Island. One KC-10 can't take that many fighters very far, so either they're landing somewhere for Customs and crew rest (either Bangor or Pease), or they're meeting more tankers and continuing all the way, which would be a brutal flight for the fighter guys.

Looks like the fighters dropped off as Retro31 over Maine.

edit on 4/26/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
not unusual to see three planes involved in refueling; the tanker, one or two planes receiving, maybe a chase plane

these pics I took local

edit on 26-4-2018 by ElGoobero because: add pic

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Actually that one is extremely unusual. The E-2 only recently started testing air refueling.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Actually that one is extremely unusual. The E-2 only recently started testing air refueling.

hope I don't get an unexpected knock at my door...

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Nothing anyone isn't supposed to see. They even released pictures of the testing when they started. Not THAT big of a deal, but a pretty cool catch.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Interesting, I thought 1 KC-10 could drag at least 4 fighters across the pond easily, but I guess not. Luckily we maintainers always flew commercial from Lakenheath to Nellis. Nothing worse than no windows for 10-12 hours and a grumpy load master who wont let you sleep on the cargo!

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

It depends on the fighter type. We could send them across with 6 F-15s or F-16s and they'd have fuel left over. Put AV-8Bs on the wing and they could take 2, and would be low on fuel going from Hawaii to California.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
A few weeks back, I stood in the backyard and watched a KC-10 leading five F-16s eastbound. We're near Barksdale, so I just assumed they were headed that way.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

They were flying 4-3-4. Blue81 and Blue91 were dragging the Typhoons, one cell of 4, one cell of 3 (one might have broke in Germany), and Blue13 had 4 Tornados on tow. The 13 flight are heading to Holloman, the other two will either hit China Lake first, and then Red Flag, or Green Flag, then Red Flag this summer.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Ok, finally figured out what happened. The four Tornados were flying with an Italian KC-767 that didn't show up on the tracking, as well as Blue13. Blue13 was the primary tanker, and ran "dry" near Gander, so landed there for fuel and probably crew rest. The KC-767 and four Tornados went into the Pease Jetport (formerly Pease AFB). Blue81 and Blue82 were crossing with the 7 Typhoons, which were flying as Retro31 flight. Blue82 dropped off over Prince Edward Island, and continued on to McGuire AFB in New Jersey. Blue81 dropped Retro31 flight off after they crossed in to Maine, and the fighters and tanker landed at Bangor International for Customs and crew rest. Blue13 is supposedly a positioning flight for return jets out of Holloman.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Nevermind, just saw post above. Sorry mate and thanks for clarifying.

edit on 27-4-2018 by Wide-Eyes because: ☝

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Bangor and Pease are common places to stop for fuel and Customs checks before continuing on to their final destination. Beyond that, there's pretty much nothing that happens there that fighters would go all the way from Germany for. As far as the Tornados go, Germany has a permanent base, that they're about to close at Holloman in New Mexico, so they're probably swapping aircraft out. The Typhoons are either heading to Green Flag, and then Red Flag, or training at China Lake, and then Red Flag this summer at Nellis.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Excuse my ignorance Zaph - what are Green Flag & Red Flag? Exercises?

Cheers, DS

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Oh, edit was too late lol.
edit on 27-4-2018 by Wide-Eyes because: Thanks for the additional info ☝

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: D4rk5t4lk3r

Green Flag is a large scale interoperability exercise involving ground forces and air, usually with the Navy and Marines as well as foreign allies. Red Flag is similar but on a grander scale, and is more intense. Green flag is more Close Air Support heavy, while Red Flag includes more large force counter air and air interdiction.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Thanks Zaph - always in awe of your knowledge of all things flying

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: D4rk5t4lk3r

Thanks Zaph - always in awe of your knowledge of all things flying

He just googles it ... lol just kidding

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Ahh, that makes more sense then, I thought it was 3 tankers dragging 4 fighters. I work TA here in the UK and get to see some cool stuff run through.

Red Flags were so awesome in the day! I was a weapons loader on F-15E's and every day was a different loadout. I particularly liked the 12x Mk82 AIR's. Getting to go into the control room to watch the x's and o's on the board was pretty cool as well. I gotta say though, I could only stand about 3 days of Vegas though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join