It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Handmaid's tale

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Is anyone else watching this? season 2 just started.

I don't usually watch shows like this, I like my sci fi and fantasy, but I gave it a go when I was in a emotional slump and just wanted to pass time. I recommend it for anyone curious, though it is rather depressing and sometimes hard to watch, not in a gory sense or anything, more of a ''this is utterly #ed up'' way.

The plot follows a dystopian future following a Second American Civil War wherein women, called "Handmaids", are forced into sexual and child-bearing servitude.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I enjoyed the original book and movie but not so much the show. Probably because I do not really enjoy Elizabeth Moss as an actress-plus, she seems too stiff for the emotional role. I stuck out the first season but I'm just bored now. She seems much overshadowed by her fellow actors and their talent.
edit on 25-4-2018 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I read the book and found it horrific in a "Johnny Got His Gun" manner. Never read either book again (and can never erase the experience) so no I didn't nor will watch the movie or the TV series.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 11:57 PM
link   
My wife watches that. I don't care for it much. She watches a lot of similar British shows too. I do like Doc Martin.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Meh, looks stupid.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Yup I like it a lot.
People who want to force women to carry kids should watch it to see what they are supporting.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: valiant

Mike Pence's evangelical American dream at it's best!

America needs more evangelical Christianity, because all us heathens who don't believe in "The Law" don't understand and don't know right from wrong!

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I tried it.
One and a half episodes and i switched off.
But tastes are different, there is a lot of stuff i don´t like but others love it, like GOT or stuff like that.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

I had a hard time watching the Alienist new on netflix, very graphic but it was very good.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I watched the first season. What a horrifying and disturbing concept that this show is set on. It's hard to watch because of that. Good show though, just kind of disturbing....

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

It is showing a little more on how they end up with that type of society in the 2nd season so far.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

It is showing a little more on how they end up with that type of society in the 2nd season so far.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
Meh, looks stupid.

What an ignorant statement.

It's actually quite good and creepy at the same time because that crap could actually happen.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I just finished the new episode last night and the beginning had me in tears, FOR REAL! The song didn't help as it tends to always make me cry so added with what was going on, yea not a good combination.

The show is terrifyingly great. The thought of living like that to just be a baby maker is just horrible. I dont know if I would rather die or live that life.

What creeps me out is how this could actually happen in the world. People always love to say "oh no that could never happen" but why not? They seemed to have a pretty normal life before and then little by little rights were taken away. It is down right creepy and disturbing to think of!

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

I had a hard time watching the Alienist new on netflix, very graphic but it was very good.

Should i give the Alienist a try, is it good? Because, there is a german actor in it... xD

I am kind of a hoarder, guess i am suffering of a kind of "digital-messie-syndrome", if it comes to documentaries, movies and series. And i don´t stream, i "lend" me all that stuff from the web and save it on harddisc´s (hey, i pay a lot for my internet access, that must be must be enough xD). I can give it back at anytime, but the web didn´t ask yet...

It could be that there is no internet, as we know it now, in the future anymore. Maybe to expensive for some people, maybe forbidden for some people to use the web(thinking of China and their social blablabla system, critical voices not wished), so i am collecting and saving everything that sounds nearly good. And i have the first season of The Alienist on disc, but didn´t watch it yet.

If you say it´s good, even if Daniel Brühl plays a role there, i will give it a try tonight!

edit on 26 4 2018 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   

I've heard of the show but I can't say I have much interest in the premise. Not to mention my wife and daughter probably wouldn't like it.
It feels to far fetched kind of like the purge movies.
Never saw one of them either.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

It's very good but as I said hard to watch because of the subject matter.
I only realised it was Dakota Fanning after I googled it she is great.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

It's very good but as I said hard to watch because of the subject matter.
I only realised it was Dakota Fanning after I googled it she is great.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
didn't know season 2 is out - yay!

I read somewhere that everything that's happened in the book has happened somewhere in the world before - crazy!

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: knoxie

Still happening

top topics

<<   2 >>

join