It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any actual Astrophysicist on ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Hello everyone.
I was wondering if ATS has any Astrophysicists on board?

I'm a mine engineer. I make a very comfortable living doing such, but love to be challenged.
I have zero interest in going back to school. and as mentioned the amount of money you make in mining is too good to leave behind for something I'm looking at in a personal development stand point.
However I'm very interested in learning AP.
physics and calculus were my favourite classes in college... and amoungst my strongest.
I've read and understand Hawking's brief history of time, history in a nut shell, and Neil degrasse' Astrophysics for people in a hurry.
These books have greatly inspired me to take the next step and to actually get a complete understanding for AP

So I'm looking for a good intro to astrophysics text and workbook.

As mentioned, I'm well versed in fundamental physics and math.
So perhaps even something intermediate for AP even.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated
Thanks.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

not sure about Astro physics but we do have bonifide physicists here. mbkennel is one...and a damned good one too. not collage professor physicist. A working for big names (corporations) physicist. can even find some of his papers on line from back in the day. he doesn't visit ats that often anymore but he's worth trying to get a hold of.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Good call.
I haven't seen him post in awhile now.
I'll try sending him a pm.
Thanks Bassplyr

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Will get my grandson to sign up in a few years after he gets his doctor degree in that subject at UM. LOL. He and I cannot of other than that. Hell, I was instrumental as I would only watch science shows, not spong bob for us.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Doing a little digging I just found a couple intro courses on EdX and open Yale courses.
The EdX is being offered by Australia U. Has 4 course themes and is 8 weeks long.
The Yale course has 3 themes.
what the hell, I'll take it for now.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Try to contact Brian May, the guitarist from Queen.
He's got a PhD in astrophysics.
Maybe he can help...and show you some smoking guitar riffs.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   

I talk to him outside ats. next time I do I'll tell him about your thread.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I just learnt that last week. Pretty cool.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Just sent you a pm

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

received and responded

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Been meaning to listen to this one for a while, but summer is on and I Just don't have the time. People want cold air so I work 16 hour days now

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

I highly recommend it.
Its very interesting.
Hell, download it off youtube with a converter and put it on your phone.
Then while your driving you can have the book read to you lol
edit on 26-4-2018 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

wondering what colleges give out Astrophysist,CriptzoologyParanormal researcher? lol wonder if they give degrees for proffesional money counters?

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I am a PhD in Physics. Thesis was in Particle Physics, for a Neutrino experiment. Iv mostly worked in hardware and detector development rather than theory.

Much of the courses I took though where in Astronomy and Astrophysics soooo ya, bit of varied knowledge.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ErosA433

Do you recall the text book you used for your first year Astro course?

I have all 4 Physics text books still from college. (15 years ago!)
Was hoping you might had kept your texts books to for reference material as well.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I kept a few, I dont have them with me right now however as iv moved country a couple times and they are at my Parental address.

However, the general Physics Text I had was Serway and Beichner physics for scientists and engineers, but of an all rounder text that one.

On the Astro side it was mostly An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics by Bradley W Carroll and Dale A Ostlie, though i personally didn't own it, the Library kept about 10 or so copies of the main texts held at the library for study purposes. We were also largely lectured from notes, some of which where photocopies of old textbooks.

new topics

top topics

join