It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nothing is faster than light - really?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: moebius

originally posted by: bluesjr

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: luthier

But it's not transportation at all.

There is no movement.

Your saying something moved when it didn't.

The particles change each other without moving.

The speed of the particles is zero.

The problem here is that you are looking for something to move. When information moves, something moves. There is no such thing as particles, everything is simply different forms of energy. You want an electron to move, but there isn't really an electron when you break it down, it's just a packet of energy. Mass is an illusion that we are just beginning to see through. Quantum entanglement uses a form of energy transfer that we do not yet understand but can measure.

Quantum entanglement does not transfer energy.

Are you sure? Do you kow how dark energy works? Do you know how quantum entanglement works? Could information be energy? I'm not talking about classical definitions.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

Shamelessly steals your analogy and moves you a billion light years away (yeah that's a big water reservoir you've got out there) sees water hitting my face (cor its bloody cold) but is using telescope to see the water all the back to you.

Now I can see all the water that's been travelling for the last billion years (the stuff hitting me now left 2 billion years ago but the stuff just leaving 'now' would have left a billion years (to keep the math simple i'm pretending the water is moving at LS)

Does that make my question any more understandable ? As how can i be seeing a billion years of 'time' at once ?
(I know that we cant see light in that way but if we could/when we can, would that change anybody's previous reply?)

-----------

Hadn't thought about it all being in the brain and it interfering with perception but that just leads me down the rabbit hole

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: johnb

Light isn't actually that fast. It takes 8minutes to reach Earth from the sun.

Sunlight travels at the speed of light. Photons emitted from the surface of the Sun need to travel across the vacuum of space to reach our eyes. The short answer is that it takes sunlight an average of 8 minutes and 20 seconds to travel from the Sun to the Earth.Apr 15, 2013
How long does it take sunlight to reach the Earth? - Phys.org
phys.org...

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Light isn't actually that fast.

Compared to what now?

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I thought I read 20 years ago that magnetic flux could be faster than light, underwater.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: lostbook

Light isn't actually that fast.

Compared to what now?

Compared to the size of the solar system, universe...

If it takes 8 minutes for it to reach Earth then that's slow in comparison to a cosmic timeline.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
Quantum entanglement is faster than light and has already been used in communications.

Correct, however for a spacecraft it's a pipe dream.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I open my eyes and can see stars from billions of light years away instantly.

What you see when you look at the sun is the position it was in 8 minutes and 34 seconds before you looked. It took 8 minutes and 34 seconds for the light produced by the sun to reach you. The stars much further from you are not in the positions that you see in the night sky. The stars are not fixed.

Average distance from the sun with respect to Earth's orbit is between 149*10^6km to as far as 152*10^6km. Using a median of 150 million kilometers over the exact speed of light in km per second gives us the following:

150*10^6km
-----------------
299,792km/s

You get 500.346s which = 8 minutes:3391 seconds or 8 minutes 34 seconds.

Scale those numbers any which way you like and you will get the positions of those really distant stars from your perspective.

When you open your eyes you instantly see everything from the close to almost infinitely far away with no lag from distant objects. This might just be sophistry but it's something I have occasionally pondered for years.

Your eyes perceive light. It is no faster or slower than light.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

Every point is the center of the Universe.
No other locality is feasible.

No matter where you plot this graph, there is infinite distance in all directions.
Infinite distance along +X or -Y is the same exact distance no matter which way you point to.

If the distance along +Y or -X is the exact same, than clearly you are in the "Center".

So therefore all locations are the center of the Universe.
There is no other location plausible.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

If you could insta travel your age in light years away from earth.. and you pointed a HUGE telescope the size of our solar system back at earth.. you could see yourself being born.

And no matter what zoom setting you use.. you will always get hit by the light from that time.

And if you travel 60 million light years further away.. and did the same, you would see dinosaurs walking around

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
If you could insta travel your age in light years away from earth.. and you pointed a HUGE telescope the size of our solar system back at earth.. you could see yourself being born.

And that is where the mathematics fails. In reality, time is personal. There's no real way to do any of the things you suggest because you can't change your "now."

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

And that is where the mathematics fails. In reality, time is personal. There's no real way to do any of the things you suggest because you can't change your "now."

Well teleportation would act as a time travel device.. and you could create your own timeline

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

A dream perhaps but mathematically possible according to Harrold White. Given some preliminary results with his em drive experiments it doesn't seem like it's something that is impossible.

Kind of like getting a car to drive over 25 mph in the early days. They thought since that's as fast as horses go it's going to kill humans to go faster.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Well teleportation would act as a time travel device.. and you could create your own timeline

You're already in your own timeline, and can't get out of it because it's linked to your point of view. A teleporter could also be used as a duplicator. If you were to duplicate yourself, which point of view would YOU have? Which eyeballs would YOU be looking out of? Both? How would that work?

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Kind of like getting a car to drive over 25 mph in the early days. They thought since that's as fast as horses go it's going to kill humans to go faster.

Nope. Not like that at all. Even though we couldn't travel faster than 25 mph, we knew there were objects that could go faster. We're pretty sure that nothing in our physical reality can go faster than light.

Maybe someday we'll discover that psychic energy (however that is manifested) can bypass the speed of light because it consists of structured concepts - or morphic fields -- rather than mass. But maybe we won't.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Neutrinos seem to have a slight lead on light and that is only there lower speed limit though they are generally regarded as massless particles and travelling at the speed of light, then there is the speed or rather rate of quantum effect, it seem's that for example that quantum effect is literally a minimum of ten thousand times faster than the speed of light.
And what about inter-dimensional interactions? (though this does one again fall under the quantum umbrella).
newatlas.com...
www.sciencealert.com...

Now how do you move faster than light, the answer is that you can not but you can bypass the speed of light at least theoretically using quantum entanglement at least for information but who knows maybe some day they will crack how the quantum affect really works and understand it enough to allow mass to be entangles - at the moment they believe it can't be done but tell that to psychic medium's in the 1800's with there own frequency theorys and planer worlds as well as apports (spiritual teleportation's of objects and even people though the presumably massless medium of the spirit world - other dimension?)
en.wikipedia.org...

The point is we don't know it is all theory but I would point out that quantum theory now emulates psychic theory's of the 1800's supposedly channeled to medium's from the spirit world?.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Hope this helps.

www.aoa.org... How Does The Human Eye Work.

Unfortunatly sight does not circumvent relativity, if only really.
edit on 25-4-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

Nope. Not like that at all. Even though we couldn't travel faster than 25 mph, we knew there were objects that could go faster. We're pretty sure that nothing in our physical reality can go faster than light.

Maybe someday we'll discover that psychic energy (however that is manifested) can bypass the speed of light because it consists of structured concepts - or morphic fields -- rather than mass. But maybe we won't.

We are certainly not "sure" anything in our physical reality won't go faster than light.

We already observe it in the quantum world and space. If you mean with our eyes than you are correct. If you mean like thowing a baseball again you are correct.

But in qm it's already been predicted and proven. In terms of our reverse engineering of the universe it's getting closer not farther.

Once we started bringing the quantum world into the classical world we began crearing huge amounts of energy.

The bomb was the first glimpse.

Now with that math they predict both warp field and wormholes..I thought I read the em drive at nasa had its first experiment published. I haven't read it but I don't think scientists believe the universe is bound by the speed of light for travel, tranamission, or transport. The neutrino breadcrumb was left.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnb
a reply to: Spacespider

Shamelessly steals your analogy and moves you a billion light years away (yeah that's a big water reservoir you've got out there) sees water hitting my face (cor its bloody cold) but is using telescope to see the water all the back to you.

Now I can see all the water that's been travelling for the last billion years (the stuff hitting me now left 2 billion years ago but the stuff just leaving 'now' would have left a billion years (to keep the math simple i'm pretending the water is moving at LS)

Does that make my question any more understandable ? As how can i be seeing a billion years of 'time' at once ?
(I know that we cant see light in that way but if we could/when we can, would that change anybody's previous reply?)

-----------

Hadn't thought about it all being in the brain and it interfering with perception but that just leads me down the rabbit hole

Yeah wouldn't looking into space be just a bright mass?

Why can we distinguish specific points of light?

All that light from trillions of stars would just blend together?

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
All that light from trillions of stars would just blend together?

Apparently there are stars so far away that their light hasn't reached us yet, and because of the expanding universe they're moving away at a pretty good clip so the light will never reach us in time for us to detect it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join