It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local preschool banning kids from using the term 'best friend'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

GEORGETOWN, Mass. - A local preschool is causing controversy by banning students from using the term 'best friend.'

Christine Hartwell said she is outraged after a teacher at Pentucket Workshop Preschool told her four-year-old daughter she couldn't call one of her classmates her "best friend."

The preschool defends their stance, saying banning the term promotes inclusion in the classroom, while Hartwell said it can end up having a negative affect on her daughter.

"How do you police a four-year-old from expressing their feelings?" said Hartwell. "It's outrageous, it's silly [and] it hurts."

Hartwell said she first learned of the ban after her daughter Julia came home from school one day acting differently. Julia told her mother she was upset because her teacher told her she couldn't call one of her classmates her "best friend."

"When I asked her what was wrong she said she was really sad about what her teacher did that day," said Hartwell.

Hartwell said her daughter is now hesitant to call anyone her best friend anymore.

Local preschool banning kids from using the term 'best friend'

Seriously....this is just insane. I gotta get out of this state, it used to be normal when I was a kid. Now, the liberal insanity is now infecting the children.

Leave these kids alone to learn how to interact socially, with the guidance of their parents....not pre-schools with an agenda.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Blue State ?

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

no more BFFs. Sorry kids!

SJWs, "political correctness" and the likes of it. This is pathetic and sad.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Lol, 'best friends' change like the wind at that age.
Seems a daft PC move to me, if pre-schools are private businesses like in the UK I guess it's up to them. Equally, it is up to the parents if they choose to spend money there or choose a different pre-school.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

They started with the college kids and have now worked their way down to four year olds. When does the in utero programming begin?

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

#homeschoolforthewin

This is pathetic garbage...the more that happens in public schools, the more I appreciate my wife twisting my arm to start homeschooling almost six years ago.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
It's amazing to hear something like this has and is happening. Children are children. They will go through many best friends throughout their school lives. Just let them be. At that age you need a best friend. Someone like minded as yourself to play and help each other.
To try to change this is just not needed. Having a best friend can be a a wonderful feeling at that age as well.

I fear for the next generation i really do.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   
start using "worst friend" and f&*! the system.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
start using "worst friend" and f&*! the system.

best idea all day!

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

"can lead other children to feel excluded"

Give me a break.... blah blah blah.

You can't ban a feeling, you can't ban an expression.

I hope every parent pulls their child from the school.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

School system-wide failure.

😎

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I'd be banning my kids from going to that preschool.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

If true, I don't see the logic in this, but I also don't see the logic in saying you need to leave a state because of what one pre-school teacher did/said.

That seems to be about just as ridiculous.

originally posted by: xuenchen
A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

School system-wide failure.

😎

It appears to be a private school.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
If children don't learn how to deal with feelings of being excluded, how are they going to deal with it as adults? The real " adult " world is not an inclusive place,and if you have a fragile ego...you are in for a shock. Can't even navigate social media without a thick skin these days.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

"No one is better than anyone, and everyone is the best at everything. " - Principal Skinner

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: AccessDenied
If children don't learn how to deal with feelings of being excluded, how are they going to deal with it as adults? The real " adult " world is not an inclusive place,and if you have a fragile ego...you are in for a shock. Can't even navigate social media without a thick skin these days.

They shoot up their school or work place.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I don't like it one bit on more than one level.

Firstly because you shouldn't single out a single person as a best friend because that could shatter the young fragile soul. I know the feeling of rejection and knowing that your best friend is not really your best friend punches you in the feels and that can't be good for any kids psyche, especially when school is supposed to support inclusiveness.

However I like DC and screw Marvel (deadpool is a ripoff) and I made my choice and surely kids can make their own choices as well, if they want a best friend then who's to stop them?

However I do encourage children to treat all others like friends, because I know what bullying did to me and I know what crimes have been committed due to loneliness and social banishment. Bowling anyone?
edit on 20-4-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Liberals are always finding ‘problems’...even those that don’t exist. I wouldn’t want to live my life worrying about every little thing. That’s no way to be happy.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Looking at college kids. . . ..sigh, no one could be more idiotic.

Leftists:. Hold my beer.

posted on Apr, 20 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I can't wait until they start telling kids they aren't allowed to reject someone because it can hurt their feelings. "Ugly tommy wants to take you on a date, you say yes! and dont' call him ugly he's beautiful! and dont' assume his gender he can be a her, and how dare you be anti female!, not give her a big kiss!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join