It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massachusetts State Police Overtime Scandal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I've been keeping an eye on this story as it develops because I've got a couple of acquaintances that were/are MSP Troopers, and it looks like the story is only getting bigger.

In 2017 an investigation was started into reports of MSP Troopers from Troop E (the troop tasked with turnpike patrol) filing for overtime pay without having worked overtime shifts during 2016. The troopers were signing up for targeted traffic enforcement on the turnpike known as AIRE patrols; AIRE patrols consisted of either four hour shifts or six hour shifts, and the purpose was to increase presence on the turnpike to deter violations as well as issue citations. The program was only active on the turnpike, and was only open to Troop E troopers.

What initially appeared to be a handful of troopers working out of one barracks has now grown into an investigation involving over 30 troopers across four barracks. The investigation has identified literally hundreds of shifts that were paid but not worked. The troopers involved range from the rank of trooper all the way up to lieutenants. The number of shifts not worked is as low as one (as in a trooper did not work one shift) all the way up to a hundred (as in a trooper, by him or herself, was responsible for dozens and dozens of unworked but paid shifts).

Several troopers involved in the investigation have retired or resigned their position since the information became public. Other troopers have been suspended pending the end of the investigation and duty status hearings. So far MSP has not released a "who did what and when" report but thanks to some journalists involved, we have names for several of the troopers, as well as how many OT shifts they "worked" and how much OT pay they "earned." Hundreds of thousands of dollars are connected to this investigation, just with a cursory glance. Decent recap here

MSP has implemented some changes in the wake of the investigation. AIRE patrols have been stopped entirely. Troop E is getting disbanded, and turnpike patrols will be the responsibility of other Troops to do within their patrol areas. Troop E Troopers still on active duty will be reassigned to other Troops. Troopers will be required to wear body cameras. GPS locators, which have been installed but not active on MSP vehicles, will now be active. The state Attorney General has opened an investigation into the overtime abuse. Unsurprisingly, the State Police Association of Massachusetts (the union for MSP Troopers) has complained about the GPS locators and body cameras being implemented. MSP announces changes

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

There are some really nice troopers but the troopers who work at the airport suck...or at least the troopers that move traffic...they are rude and purposely intimidate..I'm so glad they are getting ousted..They are called F Troop and thanks to the Governor they are dissolving troop identifiers...the walls are tumbling down around some of these thief's...I will say that I have been pulled over twice by troopers who work the Pike and they were extraordinarily polite.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Sounds like a bunch of officers didnt get the memo with the "E" on the end of AIR...
Turned into "AIR" patrol...

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

My experience was the exact opposite, to be honest. The guys that work Logan are extremely overworked because of staffing issues, but I never had any real issues with any of them. The fellas I knew that were turnpike Troopers were, by and large, dickheads.

Just goes to show I guess

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
This is the kind of crap that erodes the public trust in the police.

Certainly if they are stealing from tax payers. Then what else are they doing that's illegal.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Staffing issues because You have 100 cops putting in chits w/out working.. simply: THEFT.

Better go hit the ghettos and get some of that Fed $$$ to make Your bills.

PATHETIC!!! and #ty LEADERSHIP. How could a "Supervisor" let their troops go unchecked for so long?
They're probably working their own angles at HIGHER costs... Lining up jobs to 'double/triple dip'

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Mass staties are known for being elitist pricks so it's not surprising.
They even treat other cops as garbage. Generalizing, yes, are they all like that, no, but it's an earned reputation.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Same never had a problem at Logan.

posted on Apr, 17 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

I would think it'd be a lot harder to not show up for an OT shift at Logan, where people can actually see you, than it would be to not show up for a turnpike shift.

As for the supervisors, that's pretty easy to figure out: when you've got sergeants and lieutenants involved in the fraud, they're sure as hell not going to call out troopers for doing it.

One of the guys I knew on MSP was E Troop, and even way back when I had somewhat regular contact with him I had my suspicions about all the OT he was "working." Guess I know why now.

new topics

top topics

join