It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cashless society starting in Cornwall, UK...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Small cafe in Cornwall...
PirateFM.co.uk

"I think a lot of people have probably not even noticed the change, because, on average, our transactions are 70% card anyway."
Here in Cornwall, many of us will be used to fishing around in pockets at various shops and cafes that only take cash and don't use card at all.

So, why is Emily's changing it up?
Emily said: "The most important thing to us here is that when you walk through the door, you have the best experience possible."
"We have found that when you are stuck at the till trying to find change and you're worrying about those new bills popping out of the till because they're so springy. It just kind of interferes and sometimes you're having a conversation and it stops because now you have to handle the money."

"We have found that if we can streamline it and get rid of all the fluff, it makes it a more genuine experience. "If we only get three minutes with someone a day, we want to make it the best three minutes of their day!"

They also mention that it is boring having to count money, plus some justification due to environmental issues of driving to the bank to deposit cash.
I don't know them but my gut tells me it's just easier not doing cash so it ain't some altruistic reason, just convenience.
Either way, I'm seeing cash disappear slowly by the decade. A mate of mine reckons it's the state trying to make people dislike cash with the issue of the new plastic notes. I hate them, I've lost £35 since they came in, you can't crush them into your pocket, they spring out.

Anyway, these are my musings so share your own thoughts if you have any...and apologies, won't be much replying from me, it's late, just interested in reading the thoughts of ATS.
...help a brother out and reply to the thread not this post, then I won't feel bad not replying lol

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I can see it now...

'Hey, i wanna buy this, this and this'
'Our internet/power is down'
'Bye'

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Oh crap do these places have to display signs saying they refuse to take cash and if so is this even legal?

If i offer to pay by cash as i don't have plastic or a smartphone - are they not legally obliged to take my 'legal tender' ?

edit to add: did a quick search and looks like legal tender is just more bollocks - only banks seem to have to accept your cash and then subject to money laundering rules.
edit on 13-4-2018 by johnb because: ^^

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: johnb
I think you may be right, legally.
Someone would be entitled to say, "I've offered you the cash, so you can't say i still owe the money".

P.S. But that reaction comes from instinct, not knowledge. They tell me I may be wrong.

edit on 13-4-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I don't know them but my gut tells me it's just easier not doing cash so it ain't some altruistic reason, just convenience.

In a cashless society it's also easier for them to track every penny you spend , I see it as handing over more control to the man.

You can take my cash from my cold dead hands.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
They're slowly trying to push out cash here using banking bs in the US too.
Here's the latest from Hells Fargo.

Don't worry, it's for your security.
edit on 4 by Mandroid7 because: added2

edit on 4 by Mandroid7 because: Sp

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Well i might even be annoyed enough to go out and test this is I can find somewhere local.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
You can take my cash from my cold dead hands.

Lol, I'm self employed and only do cash. The only money I pay in to my current account is exactly enough to cover whatever direct debit bills need going out. I look like a pauper if you read my bank statement.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   
It is absolutely legal to insist on other than cash. Airlines, for example, only accept cards when you buy food and drinks. They cannot and will not accept cash. The same goes for my branch healthcare provider. Both the pharmacy and the "front office" accept only cards. No cash = no pills. I would expect this to increase in the future.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
How does

Equate to

Cashless Society

Yes it says Starting but does 1 of something mean complete change?

edit on 13-4-2018 by ATruGod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
We are removing cash to fight criminals, get credit cards for your own safety.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 13-4-2018 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Watch that cafe business fail miserably when the power goes out and no one can buy anything at all.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ATruGod
How does

Equate to

Cashless Society

Yes it says Starting but does 1 of something mean complete change?

A tidal wave starts as a tiny little ripple in the ocean

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   

A tidal wave starts as a tiny little ripple in the ocean

Sometimes ripples die out never having been seen...

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
So guys carry a wallet..... with cash, and where does that wallet go ? In your left or right rear pocket usually. Which is in close proximity to what exactly ?

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 12:48 AM
link   
The place where I work doesn't cut checks.
Payday goes on a card.
Anyone who hacks my account can see how much beer I buy.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnb
If i offer to pay by cash as i don't have plastic or a smartphone - are they not legally obliged to take my 'legal tender' ?

No, they aren't. That's because they are not obliged to accept your offer to pay. That's how it works in English law. The customer offers to buy, and the seller decides whether or not to accept that offer. Sellers are not obliged to sell.

I imagine they are turning down a lot of business from customers who want to pay cash. Their choice, their loss.
edit on 14-4-2018 by lacrimoniousfinale because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Legal tender has a very specific meaning. A restaurant that accepts payment after providing the meal is required to accept cash; a cafe that takes payment first is not required to accept cash. The legal tender rules only apply to situations where a debt has been created.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

Someone would be entitled to say, "I've offered you the cash, so you can't say i still owe the money".

That's not quite what the rules are intended to do. The debt still exists and still needs to be paid, but it prevents the creditor from refusing repayment - or creating deliberately difficult terms, such as only accepting payment in pennies minted in 1986 - and then acting as if you refused to pay.

Edited to add: imagine a situation where you borrowed £100 at a high rate of interest. The creditor could not refuse to accept repayment and then keep adding on the interest/charges. If they did this for a year and then took you to court for £100,000, and you could show that you offered them the cash 10 days after borrowing, you would only be liable for the £100 + interest/charges up to the point where you offered payment in legal tender. The debt would essentially be "frozen" at that point.

edit on Ev29SaturdaySaturdayAmerica/ChicagoSat, 14 Apr 2018 07:29:55 -05005622018b by EvillerBob because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join