It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all ATS writers and others

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Dear mods if this has been placed in the in correct forum please move it to the correct forum.

Let me start off by saying I love my little sister and really don’t want to do this.
Her first thesis in college is going to be about how woman are being exploited in Hollywood for money. She has asked me to come up with a counter argument to better her thesis. I am no writer so I Ask for your help. And with your permission I would like to put this on paper. Names redacted of course.

So lets get started. Her thesis starts with women “being forced” to wear cloths that are very revealing. After that going into having to do sexual acts to gain attention. IMO this does not count as used for sex purposes. She feels that woman are forced to do what ever it takes to makes on the big screen. And I can’t argue that women are being forced to do things that are not cool to get there. At the same time I have to come up with a counter arguement. WTF do I say? I need help.
I almost want to bring up the fact that men were used in the same form after WW1 by Hollywood but that just makes me look sexist. This task is freaking difficult and I hate it. Like I said I am no writer and would really like your help. I will not print what you post without expressed permission. If you receive no PM from me I will not put this on paper.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

A lot of women may have been "forced" but there are plenty
who will do whatever they have to to get a part,willingly!
The woman has choices,SHE makes the final decision on what
she does.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Men are forced to go to war..

No one isn’t forced to be in a movie..

There is your comparison..

I think basically all the stars who have used sex to get ahead. Knew exactly what they were doing, and made that decision knowingly..

It only even effects women to the level it does because of men dominating the workforce and management positions..

If women dominated manager positions. They would be promoting the ones they wanted to sleep with too..

I do t even see how we would police people not giving jobs to people they are sleeping with..

Hopefully it hurts long term, because of “nepotism “, but lots will sacrifice skillin one area for loving in another lol.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
The official feminist line about prostitutes is that they are "sex workers", exercising their right to earn money any way they choose. They are not being "exploited", they are just doing their own thing.
She can ask why the same logic should not be equally applicable to everything else women do in Hollywood.

The logical options are that both sets of women are being exploited, or both sets of women are doing their own thing.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   

What are you talking about, with men being used for the same purposes after WW1?? Can you give an example or two?

As far as women being "forced," I don't think its a strong argument. They make the choice. Maybe they won't get as noticed as those women who dress sexier.....how is that really any different than other career fields? That's our society in general; we value looks and sex. People will argue with that, but if one takes a good look at society, and they're being honest, they'll have to admit how favored sex and sex appeal is. But the bottom line is they have a choice. Their choice to not perform "favors" might take them out of the running, but they aren't forced. Unless there is some thing in Hollywood where women are literally forced to do things, and in that case we're talking rape.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Around the time that WW1 ended there are several movies that made it to the cinema that used men and female. Have you ever watched an old movie before? If so then you would know what I am talking about.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Forced at gun point?

How are women forced?

Isn't it arrogant to presume to speak for all women in that manner? Some may enjoy wearing clothes that makes them more attractive. Some may enjoy or desire to wear revealing clothes or act on erotic fashion.

It's up to the individual.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I'm not sure I would propose the word "forced", because there is not a good case for that. Rather look at how the Hollywood climate solicits nudity, conformity to exposed sexuality, and compliance with sexual objectification.

The environment at times, has made such a conformity mandatory for those with a passion to succeed in the business.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

In the old days men were paraded around more than the lady. Thus leading to the point that when the lady was presented it was sexual.
Does that mean that the man was not used in a similar manner?

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Her thesis starts with women “being forced” to wear cloths that are very revealing.

Thats hilarious!!
I never knew all those hot women walking around in yoga pants had a gun to their head before they left the house.

Poor Meryl Streep having to do all those nasty things to get all those awards too.

I'll be shedding a tear for all of them later.

That is going to be a mess of a thesis.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well I didn’t use the words of forced at gun point. And no woman are not forced. YOUR NOT HELPING DB. Help

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Yoga pant....Gods gift to man

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

How are women forced?

Define "force".

Are they being pressured, blackmailed, threats to safety?

Are they being beaten?

Or is "force" a presumption on the part of your sister?

edit;

When you start a thesis with the presumption of a conclusion already in place then it isn't a thesis. It is a manifesto.

edit on 12-4-2018 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Well she is young (not saying that all young people feel this way) so she feels that woman are are forced into a role. I have tried to argue to argue this. She will not listen. My sister is so bad at debating that she asked me to come up with a writing to counter her super feminist ideal.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Perhaps a better approach would be to actually ask a question (a premise of any good thesis) instead of justifying a statement.

Are women being forced into roles that are sexist in nature?

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   

When I try to just ask a question she gets really upset hence her asking me write a paper. Like I said she can not debate. She gets too emotional.
edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
For every girl being forced to do something there are a dozen willing to sleep their way to the top.
Ask any athlete about the sacrifices they put on their bodies to succeed.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

When I try to just ask a question she gets really upset hence her asking me write a paper. Like I said she can not debate. She gets too emotional.

Perhaps she should switch topics.

Debating from an emotional standpoint is a bad way to be.

Have her argue for the other side.

Maybe that will help her out.

If she's incapable of that, then brah, dunno what to tell you!

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Ya she can’t do that dude. I have tried to encourage her to do that but she just can’t. I guess my only option I have is to try as her much older brother and fix this. That’s going to be a bitch.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

If she has already made up her mind without even considering the other side then she has already failed the project.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join