It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul Ryan to step down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   
So, in another turn of events in the quagmire that is the US political sector, Speaker of the House Paul Ryan announced this morning that he will not be seeking re-election in January.

thehill.com...

There's speculation when it comes to the vast number of Republicans that are stepping down or leaving, that they just do not want to be part of a Pelosi congress.

Where will this lead? Well, only time will tell. Hopefully we end up getting some republicans who are able to speak confidently, lead decisively, and make some changes to the lameduck congress.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't mind seeing someone willing to become bully pulpit of the house, and leading our House to a new era of progression.

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) is retiring at the end of this Congress, ending his speakership a little more than three years after it began and as the GOP faces a possible loss of its majority this fall. Ryan said during a news conference that he will serve out his term and retire from Congress in January.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Iconic

Swamp = draining

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Swamp = draining

That's not how the GOP see's it....

www.rawstory.com...

www.axios.com...

Ryan isn't stupid and he is privy to WH leaks and the word is that Trumps cheese fell off the cracker.

www.rawstory.com...
edit on 11-4-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

What do you mean by "trumps cheese fell off the cracker"?

Ryan was a bit of a lame-duck. He wasn't a very good SotH, and lead a group of people who refused to get anything done. If that's what Trump's cheese was, then we'd be better off if Trump became lactose intolerant.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Swamp = draining

www.rawstory.com...

www.axios.com...

Ryan isn't stupid and he is privy to WH leaks and the word is that Trumps cheese fell off the cracker.

www.rawstory.com...

Is this your feeble attempt at saying the President has a mental issue? I don't really comprehend the " cheese has fallen off the cracker" saying.

Care to elaborate?

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
He is clearly taking some distance from the government to run in 2020

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
He is clearly taking some distance from the government to run in 2020

I don't think if he retires from the Congress if he is able to run. It's like retiring as a police officer then getting a job as a Chief of Police.

I'm not sure though. It may just nix his retirement bonuses and stipulations.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I think a lot of ats members have already posted our thoughts on this in the other thread.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Swamp = draining

Swamp draining.... of course it is. It's not as if Trump has willingly surrounding himself with Swamp creatures like Bolton, Giuliani or Pence. How about his administration willingly getting cozy with wall street elites like those from Goldman Sachs?. This administration is also willingly continiuing the so called swamp policies such as the Patriot Act, NDAA. He's given more power to the CIA for use of drones for christ sakes. He's just announced he's going to bomb the hell out of Syria. The list goes on.

What swamp draining are you talking about?? Have you and others here being paying attention at all? All we're seing are rats jumping off a sinking ship.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I had to check Politico to see if this was true and oh my, it's happening. Gowdy, Ryan, my lord, they must know something is coming for them to jump so easily. Ryan has a good number of years still ahead of him. This kind of move doesn't make sense unless he's being spooked or something.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

It's not Pelosi that is causing people to say they no longer want to be part of our government.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

It's not Pelosi that is causing people to say they no longer want to be part of our government.

If the problem was the President, 2008-2016 would have depleted the entirety of seats.

The problem is with partisan hacks. The problem is with people on either side of the isle never giving an inch, and slowly bloodletting the country and destroying our rights in the process.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   

If the problem was the President, 2008-2016 would have depleted the entirety of seats.

That makes no sense. It is not 2008-2016 and Obama is not comparable to Trump.

This is 2018 and you have a man in the White House that is completely different than any president we have seen before.

Not sure if you know this or not, but Trump is a joke within his own party and he does not instill any confidence with his lack of leadership skills.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Oh you mean he's not bought and paid for by the same shakers that control the entirety of the right wing?

Not sure if YOU know this or not, but the two party system is two wolves deciding dinner when we're the sheep. Trump is just another one of the sheep.

No wonder he isn't supported by the right. I don't want anyone that is, honestly. You think someone like Dr. Paul was supported by the Right base?

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Oh you mean he's not bought and paid for by the same shakers that control the entirety of the right wing?

No. I mean his incompetence and lack of leadership is frustrating for people and they may not want to be part of it.

Not sure if YOU know this or not, but the two party system is two wolves deciding dinner when we're the sheep. Trump is just another one of the sheep.

No. Trump is the poison mushroom that both wolves and sheep know not to eat.

No wonder he isn't supported by the right.

That is true. His support came from people that do not seem to actually hold a solid political ideology. They vote based on single issues and feelings.

Funny fact: Many people that voted for Trump are the same "Hope and Change" believers that voted for Obama. They admit it.

You think someone like Dr. Paul was supported by the Right base?

Of course not. Ron Paul was/is a libertarian that believed in freedom. The Right believes in authoritarianism disguised as wannabee conservatism. That is why Trump represents them nicely. But some cannot stand it anymore, i guess.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

No. I mean his incompetence and lack of leadership is frustrating for people and they may not want to be part of it.

No. Trump is the poison mushroom that both wolves and sheep know not to eat.

No wonder he isn't supported by the right.

That is true. His support came from people that do not seem to actually hold a solid political ideology. They vote based on single issues and feelings.

Funny fact: Many people that voted for Trump are the same "Hope and Change" believers that voted for Obama. They admit it.

You think someone like Dr. Paul was supported by the Right base?

Of course not. Ron Paul was/is a libertarian that believed in freedom. The Right believes in authoritarianism disguised as wannabee conservatism. That is why Trump represents them nicely. But some cannot stand it anymore, i guess.

And the left represents fascism while claiming to be antifascist. They're all the same. Rich lying cheaters that line their own pockets at the demise of the citizens.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   

This was reported widely back in December. Ryan declined to make a public announcement on it when he was asked at the time, saying "it's speculation" but not saying yes or no at that time. The story then, from "insiders," was that he was dealing with a family (wife and kids) who weren't happy with him being gone all the time and reminding him that his acceptance of the Speaker position was initially predisposed on it being a one-term thing done purely because of the major disaster that the Speaker role and finding a replacement for Boehner had become. Ryan has had retirement rumors swirling since losing the VP position when Romney lost in 2012. Add to all of that Ryan's family history of losing loved ones in their 50s to heart attacks... he's 49, so I'm sure he's starting to become stress adverse to protect his own physical health and I'd imagine Congressman is a fairly stressful job.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Too many Republicans are RINOs and are liberal, globalists just like their Democratic counterparts. So, maybe some in the GOP care about Ryan stepping down, but real Conservatices see him as just one more swamp monster.

Good riddance.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   
That POS needs to go, he is a key part of the problem in congress... Now we need McConnell, Pelosi, schumer to leave as well and we will finally be making headway to a better congress.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

top topics

join