It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dylan Thomas reads "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Its been years since I read this poem, recently had this video pop up on my feed and it was interesting hearing Dylan Thomas read his work. Things have been a bit rough for me lately and hearing this made me smile and find a bit of that spark to look forward to my next challenge in life.

So just wanted to share this with everyone that has not considered it recently, if I am in the wrong forum apologies.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on that sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I discovered this last year. I usually quote/yell the last 2 lines when my friends are being buttholes and want to end the party. Sent the whole thing to my bro who exemplifies burn and rave at close of day. That’s why we’re besties. When does the bass drop? I’m sure the poem will take on a whole new meaning when I grow up. Just had to post to this thread. It’s a popular poem in my group of fun lovers and sleep haters. And it’s Friday night in the city.The EDM death machine is rolling through so bedtime is a looong ways off. Can’t fathom going out with a whimper. Glad it brought you inspiration as it has us.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 01:58 AM
link   
This is not time for caution!

Visual - docking scene

This is my go to movie/soundtrack at least twice a year. It is my anti-depressant leaving me feeling like a little child again, sense of wonder, gratitude with my world.

Thank you

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 02:16 AM
link   
This has been an especially poignant poem for me many times. I repeat the last stanza when I feel an extreme loss of a friend; man, woman or animal. I feel rage and want them to rage with me, even though I know "there is a dying of the light."

It allows our emotions to speak so freely about loss. Raging against the inevitable. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   
This poem is about to Dylan's father, who was also going blind and dying. I think it's a plea for his father to be defiant and protest about his forthcoming death. It's a poem about the end of life. Quite poignant. If you research the poem it is quite deep. I did so as part of my English Literature at school many years ago.

Dylan had a short and troubled life. One wonders what he would have accomplished if he had lived a longer term.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I read this to my Mom and recited it in my head while she was passing away. She DID fight I think as very close to the end she seemed to be. It was not gentle or beautiful as shown on TV and movies. Then there was peace.

posted on Apr, 8 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I love this poem, it is quite poignant. It always reminds me of my Dad, this and Danny Boy. Thanks for sharing.

new topics

top topics

join