It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retired Judge fights to release man she sentenced to 241 years.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
This reads like a movie about redemption, but the ending hasn't been written yet. At 39, Bobby Bostic can look back at decisions he made at 16yrs old and recognize them as despicable. He has turned his life around while in prison and looks to creating something positive from his mistakes.
At 20 years after the sentence, retired Judge Evelyn Baker realizes her own mistakes and becomes his biggest advocate. Story

I am curious to see how this plays out and I hope it gets more attention.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Double post.
edit on 5-4-2018 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Vivyinsect

He robbed people who were donating gifts to the poor at Christmas time, then shot two of the guys after they already had their money. Then sexually assaulted a woman who's car they jacked.

Let him rot.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   
This is what happens, in a "Society", when "men",..allow "WOMEN", to "think" to much.. You get "feelings" and emotional boys that aren't properly trained to be MEN. Basically, a society of women and boys.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

this

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I too was inclined to say "let him rot" after reading what he had done, but I suppose her approach struck me. Learning and understanding how a child's brain works, then standing up to criticism because she feels she owes it to a future society. It brings me to question how some criminals get off with a slap on the wrist. I could totally go both ways on this. a reply to: watchitburn

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I agree , Let him rot .... He was 16 then , but highly troubled .. And His growing up now ( according to the judge who wants him freed ) doesn't help The woman he raped , the men he shot , and the famies who Suffered .... Sorry ... No room
For these people in the world ... the guy is wired wrong and would be doing more and more harm if he was free . He is behaving now in jail , but .... He is dangerous .
edit on 5-4-2018 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

He says he's changed. He says he has grown up.

At no point did he say he was sorry.

The sentence fits the crime.

If he wants to benefit society he should die quickly so we don't have to keep paying to feed him.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22
This is what happens, in a "Society", when "men",..allow "WOMEN", to "think" to much.. You get "feelings" and emotional boys that aren't properly trained to be MEN. Basically, a society of women and boys.

Men aren't afraid of a woman speaking up.

You seem worried of the notion.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vivyinsect
At 39, Bobby Bostic can look back at decisions he made at 16yrs old and recognize them as despicable.

Everyone wants a reset button. Sadly, there isn't one.
He will have to simply be a inspiration inside to others who will get out. be an example to those coming in on how to not make the mistake he made. Councilor to troubled people coming in might be his niche. But no, he shouldn't be out..and its not like if he got out he would enjoy life...he would work a low wage back breaking job if anyone would hire him, not have many friends, etc. He has been in there too long, he is part of the system now.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 12:55 AM
link   

I am happy to hear that the judge has retired.

Why, with all the felons with questionable sentences out there, would you want to fight for the release of one where there is ZERO doubt that he is guilty of a despicable, life-ruining act?

Poor judgement, I say.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 01:25 AM
link   

It's been on the BBC website this week too.

Lots of complexities and angles imo. The US penal system can create monsters so is he capable of living in society any more? Is 20 years enough for what he did? Should 'justice' show mercy? Is it right to give young adolescents '241' year sentences? Should extreme sentences be restricted to extreme crimes like murder, rapes and serious fraud?

I think mercy is one way of addressing the growing prison population. Adolescents are still 'fluid' and able to change. The US penal system is an environment that can create evil monsters who are returned to society. Perhaps they also raise the temperature/pressures in their neighbourhoods which leads to more crimes. Not every prisoner can, or will be, a good father, but hundreds of thousands of them can also signify broken homes and vicious circles for young men.

Lots of complexities...

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I think mercy is one way of addressing the growing prison population.

Sure, but where is the logic in starting with a violent criminal, armed robbers, kidnapper, sexual predator like this, when you got people locked up for smoking dope?

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

I don't disagree. The whole thing is like Alice Behind the Looking Glass. So much crazy logic in the prison system and justice system that they might as well be taking acid.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 04:55 AM
link   

I don't care how much he has changed to be honest with you, if he killed somebody and raped another he had the sexual impulse to do it, sexual impulses do not go away no matter how long you are in a cage.

Basically the way I see it is

Genetics, Biology, and Sociology shaped this man and he made the decision to act on his impulses and his victims suffered for that.

He has killed two people and sexually assaulted a third who will most probably never recover from what this person did to her.

A life sentence is definitely justified, and he should not be given the opportunity to act on his impulses again.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22

allow women to think too much, eh?

you sound like a blast to hang out with.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   
My focus was on the judge. I have often wondered how some of them sleep at night letting truly evil people go free. My thoughts in this case went to that “affluence” brat, or the college swim team rapist (with rosacea to boot...why do college rapists always turn up at court with rosacea, I think there’s a conspiracy). Disclaimer-I still think the term “affluence” was brilliant. I would be an awful judge-I’m either too nice or disturbingly cruel.

new topics

top topics

join