It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The First Amendment is Not Enough

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I wasn't really referring to you, you're more like landscaping surrounding the exhibits. Nice and flowery but lacking in substance.

Ouch. Now that one hurt.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I'm just funning you man. You're like our prized dinosaur, the Verbasaurus.

Or is that TrueBrit, hmmmm......

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I'm just funning you man. You're like our prized dinosaur, the Verbasaurus.

Or is that TrueBrit, hmmmm......

Don't worry, I like it, bananas and all.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Yeah, thats TrueBrit.

LesMis is the Thesaurus. Slightly smaller, but still (interestingly) more volumous.

eta: must be smaller print
edit on 4/5/2018 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Yeah, thats TrueBrit.

LesMis is the Thesaurus. Slightly smaller, but still (interestingly) more volumous.

eta: must be smaller print

I haven't used a thesaurus in a long time. But given the criticisms, I have been trying to cut back on the big words without fully impeding my love of writing and word play.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   

If you want to make an argument do it, but your many question fallacy is virtually impossible to respond to, not to mention read.

Actually, nothing in my response would constitute a many questions fallacy. A many questions fallacy might go something like this:

How often do you rape your goat?

It's a fallacy because I'd be implying that you have a goat and that you rape it without either being proven and expecting you to answer a question about the frequency, which presumes both to be true.

What we were doing is discussing a hypothetical and you balked at me expounding on it with a couple of perfectly plausible propositions. You also ignored that I pointed out your hypocrisy. Responding with words is still responding and the truly unaffected wouldn't be compelled by ego to argue with a rude house guest.

In the spirit of lively discussion I'll reformulate my response:

1. What happens if you can't outwit your rude house guest?

2. What happens if the rude house guest doesn't acknowledge you when you're attempting to "light him up" and continues to talk unabated no matter what you say?

3. What if what the rude house guest was saying wasn't insulting but obscene?

Why not just admit that there are circumstances under which you'd ask a guest to leave your home as a result of that person's speech?

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   

First Amendment Issues aside...

We expect civility and decorum within all topics.
Go After the Ball, Not the Player!

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I wouldnt. If nothing else you can lift people up in knowledge of their own language. That is a good thing imo.

I like it myself.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Actually, nothing in my response would constitute a many questions fallacy. A many questions fallacy might go something like this:

It's a fallacy because I'd be implying that you have a goat and that you rape it without either being proven and expecting you to answer a question about the frequency, which presumes both to be true.

I was wrong. Thank you for the correction. The name confused me. I meant "Gish Gallop" fallacy.

What we were doing is discussing a hypothetical and you balked at me expounding on it with a couple of perfectly plausible propositions. You also ignored that I pointed out your hypocrisy. Responding with words is still responding and the truly unaffected wouldn't be compelled by ego to argue with a rude house guest.

True, but what I meant was they want to get a rise out of us, meaning, they want to make your blood boil, make us angry, to respond in a way we usually wouldn't. I'm not saying I would stay completely frozen and silent. Sorry for not making that more clear.

In the spirit of lively discussion I'll reformulate my response:

1. What happens if you can't outwit your rude house guest?

I'm not sure. What would you do?

2. What happens if the rude house guest doesn't acknowledge you when you're attempting to "light him up" and continues to talk unabated no matter what you say?

I can handle talking unabated. He would get tired of talking before I get tired of letting him talk. What would you do?

3. What if what the rude house guest was saying wasn't insulting but obscene?

Not much is obscene to me. I'm certain I could manage.

Why not just admit that there are circumstances under which you'd ask a guest to leave your home as a result of that person's speech?

Oh yes, I would have asked him to leave. My point was I wouldn't censor him.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Ahhh, when it dresses provocatively?

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Ahhh, when it dresses provocatively?

When it burns the meatloaf.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

But then it was just asking for it.

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

I wasn't really referring to you, you're more like landscaping surrounding the exhibits. Nice and flowery but lacking in substance.

Ouch. Now that one hurt.

I thought words couldn't hurt people!!

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join