It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Point of rain [TRA2018]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
High Point of rain

Tuesday dawned in High Point, North Carolina. April morning was a bit warmer than usually, nevertheless the sky was solid gray, the sun was nowhere to be seen. The McDouglas family was preparing for their day. The father, Alex, sat next to the kitchen table reading the newspaper and sipping coffee. “Jennifer, the weather forecast says it is going to rain all week. This whole family needs a vacation in a less depressing environment, I am thinking Spain” He said to his wife, who was preparing sandwiches for their kid, Michael, for school lunch break. “Sounds nice, but let’s just try to get by until summer holidays and then see what we can afford” Replied Jennifer.

“Michael, you are going to be late, get up from bed and get ready for school!” Shouted Alex from their downstairs kitchen to the upstairs bedroom of Michael. Only some kind of a grunt was heard but soon Michael came downstairs too, all of his appearance was telling that he couldn’t care less about going to school or being told what to do by his “authoritarian” parents. Typical behavior for a 15 year old teen.

Breakfast was over, Alex drove his car to the bus manufacturing plant where he worked as a senior supervisor of staff. Jennifer worked in furniture retail. Michael rode his BMX bike to school. All of them would have liked to stay at home. Or Spain. The windshield wipers of the car of Alex did their best to maintain visibility. Michael rode his BMX so fast that his front was pretty much soaked as he arrived to school but his back was almost dry. Jennifer only had a small walk to the furniture shop and an umbrella did a good job.

Later that day, after their duties were over, Alex and Jennifer were watching TV in the living room. Michael stayed with his friends after school and came home after his parents, with a nasty looking red mark on his cheek. “What is it this time? You rode the bike a million miles per hour and fell, or did you once again get into a fight?” Asked Alex, looking at his son with a judging expression on his face. “Dad, what the… what… I did nothing” Michael defended himself. “Enough. Go to your room. No playstation today.” Alex said firmly. Michael threw his backpack off arrogantly and rushed to his room.

“Alex, come here, some insect or a small bird must have hit the window, there is a bit of blood. Could you go out and check if there is an animal in pain, dear?” And Alex went outside to the pouring rain. As he stepped outside, he immediately started to get red color on him. He realized that it was raining something red. He was a hard but caring man, willing to protect his family no matter what the case was and he tasted it. It tasted just like regular rain, a bit salty. It was not blood and it did not taste toxic or anything. He went back inside, wife somewhere in the garage and son in his room. He took a quick shower and threw away his red stained clothes and put on some clean ones. He was wondering of course, but did not want to upset his family. He went back downstairs, Jennifer had returned from the garage and he told her that he couldn’t find any animals or anything but he cleaned the window.

The morning after had more red in reserve for Alex. It was not an occasional red raindrop here and there anymore, it was severe rainfall and all red. It painted everything like the city was an arena of a genocide. Alex was not sure how to react. “We will stay inside today, I don’t think there will be teachers at school for Michael or customers at your shop anyway” Alex said to Jennifer in the kitchen, simultaneously understanding his mistake from yesterday and how unfair it was to forbid playstation from Michael. He grabbed a cold can of coca cola from the fridge for his son and walked upstairs with an intention to apologize and also calm down the kid if needed.

Kid was gone. Michael’s bed was empty but it had a human shaped moist red stain. Alex squeezed the coca cola can so hard that it cracked open and spilled all over the place. “Jennifer! Michael is not here. I don’t think he rebels against us so badly that he would go outside when it is raining red raindrops. Jennifer!” No reply. Alex dropped the soda can and used some profanity which was way out of his normal character, and rushed back downstairs. Jennifer was gone. All there was left, was a red and moist puddle, half of it on the kitchen table and half of it on the chair and floor. Mentally very strong Alex started to question his sanity and wondering if this is a dream. He understood that this really is not a dream. He picked up the phone and dialed 911. No answer. He turned on the TV, it shortly showed an “Error in transmission” message and then went black and all electrics were gone from the house. Red rain was banging the windows as Alex ran outside and no one, nowhere. Just an endless amount of large red raindrops.

Alex just stood there, in the middle of the street, no cars, no people. Some lights blinking here and there and then they went out one by one. Rain was heavy, as heavy as his heart because he did not know the destiny of his loved ones. Then he realized that raindrops did not hit him anymore. There was a square around him, maybe 5 feet by 5 feet that was free from rain. Almost all the electricity and thereby lights had gone out of North Point. Then a bright light came from above. Alex could not see clearly because the light hurt his eyes but he could see a triangle shaped craft hovering above him. A light beam was all the way from the craft to the ground, and a being descended. Tall, and just as gray as the sky was that Tuesday morning earlier.

Alex started to laugh, still soaked with red rainfall from before the dry area appeared. He did not feel one bit amused, it was a primitive defense reaction. “Ok ok, First came the red rain and now we have some aliens! What’s next? Elvis shows up and sings “hound dog” to me?” “No, not aliens. God.“ replied the being in clear perfect English. “You drove slightly too fast to work yesterday morning in heavy rain, your car started hydroplaning, hit a large stone and you died instantly” said God.

The light beam from the craft took them both, God and Alex to the craft and the craft disappeared. It did not fly away ultra fast, it just disappeared. Next week there was a funeral in North Point of a beloved and hard working family man.

THE END

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

Cool Story Fin. I liked it.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Thanks
Now i am waiting to read other stories that already have been posted. But i am turbocharged with coffee and waiting for it to vanish, then some sleep. Tomorrow when my natural (not caffeine) energy is restored, i will check out the other stories. Should keep me busy for a while.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Have to say that one foxed me until you revealed the truth of it.
Well done.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   

S & F for Finn!

And a song to add to the soundtrack of your story:

(PS: Is Tony Levin not the most awsome bassplayer in Rockdom?)

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Nice job Fin - I really did not expect the ending!

new topics

top topics

join