It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do I need a subwoofer?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Wasn't sure where to put this, I figured Music was as good as any.

I'm working on upgrading my audio system. The subwoofer I intended to use is not compatible with the amplifier. Four of my speakers in a 7.1 system have 15" woofers. Is it worth the money to add a subwoofer?

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

depends on the neighbors

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
Wasn't sure where to put this, I figured Music was as good as any.

I'm working on upgrading my audio system. The subwoofer I intended to use is not compatible with the amplifier. Four of my speakers in a 7.1 system have 15" woofers. Is it worth the money to add a subwoofer?

Dang skippy....
"Toin it up one time"
My sound system is just for PC Gaming . The large sub-woofer is under the desk
The air from it blows my pajama legs back....
Makes for a good leg cooling fan in the Summer

edit on 4/3/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Screw the neighbors.

I don't crank this thing up loud anyway. I just like good, rich, surround sound when I'm watching movies. My Pioneer speakers have LED indicators showing the volume output and I almost never turn it up loud enough to see any of them light up.

Edit to add: I just cranked it up high enough to see the LEDs light up. I couldn't stand it.

edit on 3-4-2018 by VictorVonDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Everyone needs a subwoofer for a pillow.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Then ya, get a sub.
If your not going to be pounding it, then you dont need anything big.
I say go for it.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Its going to really depend on just how the current 15" are being utilized through crossovers, enclosure volume, speaker construction, etc.

You may very well benefit from a separate sub that fully utilizes the LFE channel of your receiver. A 15" in a 3-5 cu.ft. enclosure with 150-300w can be a helluva thing.

At the very least, a dedicated sub will enable proper placement.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Just to clarify, you already have 2 15’s and want to know if you need a 3rd?!?!

Imho anything more than 1, 10 or 12 is just for showing off.

You kinda do need a sub of some kind because the regular and tweeters won’t hit the lowest beats..

Back when it was crazy popular in say 99/2000. I had two of the square kicker solobarics.....in a camero lol..

I never went to competions or anything, but no one EVER beat me at a red light or house party lol..

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Imho anything more than 1, 10 or 12 is just for showing off.

Proper placement alone can be worth its weight in gold, and that's tough when the larger cones are part of the main speakers. Cone size is also a lot more relevant than simply making more noise and just because a system already has two 15" doesn't mean they are giving the full response wanted or needed for full immersion (among other things).

As a relevant side note, the easiest way to find proper placement is a pretty well known trick: put the sub in the main listening position and walk around the room slowly listening to where it gives the best response. When you find it, place the sub there.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Got you covered:

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Do you need them? No. Will it sound better? Yes. The speaker size doesn't have much to do with it if you're sending the same frequency balance to the rest of the enclosure. Now, could you disconnect those speakers and run them through a crossover independently of any other speakers? Yes. Assuming they're part of a factory setup I wouldn't see this doing you any favors, if only because you don't seem to know anything else about them. It could do more harm than good. It could also be a slight pain factoring in residence, etc since any alteration like that is bound to mess up their math. If you have experience with balancing speaker loads, crossovers, etc then it could be a fun project. Personally, I'd just go buy a single sub and call it a day lol.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Oh... he is talking house... my mind went instantly to car stereo stuff..

I don’t know ANYTHING about home systems lol..

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I spent a bit of money turning my first car into the scourge of the streets. I put 2 massive MTX subs in the trunk and covered the trunk with Dynamat. I'd set off car alarms of cars I drove past, and one time I even pulled up to a convenience store with the subs blasting and noticed they were flexing the windows across the front of the store. I kid you not. That thing was an absolute beast. It felt so good sitting inside the car, but it probably killed some of my hearing. Worth it though.

So, to answer your question, yes. You always need a subwoofer. Make those booms count.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I could'nt live without a subwoofer, my Cadillac has a built in one! can't listen to Beastie Boys without one. I have one for my computer and one for my TV, I can't crank the two in my appartment! but i can balance between the speakers and sub & still get a small boom and never had any complaints! to me it just enhances the viewing/listening! so get one for sure, but i'd get a whole new set

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

OMG man those are window breakers, you are gonna put a dent in your trunk lid! still really cool!

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
In the timeless words of one of the greatest componists:

Translation: Sure, why not! More sub = good sub!

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Screw the neighbors? If you live in an apartment building having subs isn't a great way to make friends. If you live in a house, as long as you abide by local noise-ordinances, then yes, screw the neighbors.

I live in a building shared by 3 other families and one of the tenants (who sports a different fluorescent hair color every week) blasts Beastie Boys "No Sleep Til Brooklyn" beginning at 4am until 6:30am when she finally leaves. The landlord is kind of wishy-washy and second childhood subwoofer lady (she's in her 50's!) knows this, so the problem has persisted since November. My windows rattle, items on shelves fall over, my teeth fall out of my head, and I've had to change my schedule because of her subs. I guess I'm getting old, because I can't stand listening to other people blast their subs.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

WHAT DID YOU SAY?

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I would say yes because I enjoy bass loud enough that it crushes your chest and I listen to a lot of music.....but...I guess it's maybe not absolutely necessary unless you listen to bass heavy music. The 15" cones are probably good enough for movies and such.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

Yeah.. people can be rude.

Personally though, I love the sound of a great subwoofer. Sadly, most do not have that..

Victor, if you are looking at getting a dedicated sub, I'd strongly suggest making it a DIY project. Audio is one of those areas with extreme mark ups on everything from speakers to cables.

You can even get a decent premade enclosure, a speaker, and a plate amp (or you could get something like the iNuke series with DSP) and then all you would have to do is connect a few wires and drive in some screws.

For easily under $500, you would have a sub that would never leave you wanting more. Unless, of course, you get some GAS
(gear acquisition syndrome).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join