It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bart Ehrman?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   
So it seems like a few non Christians have just recently discovered Bart Ehrman and have decided to run with him
So who and what does Bart represent
Let's do a bio on the man, explaining who he is, his argument, why Bart turned from Christianity and why I see his argument is a failure
So Mr Ehrman is a New Trstament scholar, professor an NC Chappell hill, renounced evangelical Christian
Mr Ehrman has written or edited 30 odd books to date and many other articles
A true scholar of New Testament literature

In a nutshell

So,with all this knowledge (gnosis) studying the bible, Bart noted a few errors, what! errors in the bible
What, you can't say there are errors in the bible🙀
Well yeah there are, many Christians deny the bible has errors.
What are they, just search the net, there are plenty of sites...
Why does the bible has errors, well it's written in a couple of languages, thousands of years ago, by people, and people are notorious for making mistakes, eye witness accounts and those eye witness accounts never match up when people are involved.
I am sure you can think and add a few different reasons why the bible has errors

So these errors in the bible plagued Bart and caused him to turn away from his faith
Yes, Mr Erhman had faith, sadly Erhmans faith wasn't in Jesus, Erhmans faith was in the bible not having errors, the bible being a perfect book

So many in the Protestan church have put the bible in Christs place, defending it, calling it perfect, idols ing the bible and it's stupid. It's a book, only Jesus was perfect

The bible is a book, pointing to the perfect Jesus, our Lord and Savior (Obviously for Christians only). Some Christians look at the biblelike Catholics look at the Pope, like it passes on decrees, like it is perfect and pure, like its Gods perfect word in the world, it's not. It's a sign post, a street directory, an instruction manual, you need a modem of common sense and help to use the bible

It's funny, true Christians should have the Holy Spirit, God inside of us, expressing the fruit of the Holy Spirit and yet we never learnto listen and trust Gods Spirit in us, we place a book on a pedestal

So, Ehrman was more interested in knowledge (Gnosticism) than living the Christian life, he placed the bible before Christ, his faith was in the written word, not the living word.
The problems with the bibles accuracy lead him away from his faith and now Ehrman, once a teacher of the New Testament is an advocate against Christianity, very hostile to the gospel and Christians

So if you see Bart Ehrman used around here, listen, comprehend, understand the argument, remember
Our faith as Christians is in Christ, not the bible
The bible is only a good book pointing to Jesus, it's not our pope, it holds no papal bulls, it's not perfect it didn't die for us, its not where we put our faith, it's not Jesus

Don't be a Bart

edit on 2-4-2018 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

What a silly post....without the Bible there is no Jesus

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Jesus built my hot rod.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

What a silly post....without the Bible there is no Jesus

Silly post

I didn't say that the bible didn't exist, that without it anything
I said it wasn't perfect, that it points to Jesus, not that it didn't exist

Apply some common sense

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   
If it were not for that erroneous book, what would tell new men and women about the 'miracle' of jesus? Why is there 'bible study'?

I don't need your stinkin' jesus... I've got my own personal one.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   

He didn't leave Christianity just because of the obvious contradictions in the book...

it was mainly because he couldn't resolve his issues with how the bible explains why we suffer in this life

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

That's true, because?

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf
If it were not for that erroneous book, what would tell new men and women about the 'miracle' of jesus? Why is there 'bible study'?

That's great but not really relevant to the topic

There is bible study because the bible needs to be understood, people get it wrong to often

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Jesus built my hot rod.

My Father does art in Heaven...

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

That's true, because?

He's said it many times in his videos and interviews....

You can easily find them if you search

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Coudos for giving Bart a shot..

A) Hopefully, you can tell why I site him so often..

He is just a scholar relating the historical account of the New Testament in what ever way the evidence takes him..

There is a reason both sides quote him.. it’s because he is the closest thing to an unbiased (critical rather than apologetic) source.

People will argue the interpretation, but no one argues the facts with him.

He has a sterling academic reputation.. maybe the only person who both sides view as credible..

At least that I have seen..

B) Bart left Christianity, not because of the contradictions and errors.. he could live with that..

He left because of the problem of suffering.

How could a good god allow meaningless suffering.. suffering that doesn’t teach a lesson.. that doesn’t lead to growth..

Just monumental endless suffering with zero point..

C) if all of Christianity looked at the Bible for what it is.. there wouldn’t be a problem lol..

It is the blind adherence to a man made book that doesn’t have a whole lot of historical crediblity that leads to religious based laws and atrocities..

If people view the Bible for what it is...

A book with a bunch of random accounts of the life of jesus, some more credible than others. All differing POV’s of the same guy who do not agree with each other...

Then They don’t try and force their opinion on others, because no one really knows for sure..

edit on 2-4-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Nice someone else familiar with Bart’s work.

He sold me...

Is there ANYONE else on the planet that both sides of the debate respect and even quote????

Anyone else?? Lol

He is the Stanton Friedman of religious historicity.. lol

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   

It is likely the question he gets asked the most.. he is constantly invited to give lectures at churches..

He is firmly in the “jesus really did exist camp”, but not an apologist willing take the Bible’s word for it.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf

That's great but not really relevant to the topic

There is bible study because the bible needs to be understood, people get it wrong to often

Because it's full of errors and contradictions.

And it's written by men who wanted to control stupid people.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

That's why I don't rate you Josh
It is not about blind adherence to a book
Any further discussion is pointless as you can't comprehend the written word in a post, never mind comprehend the bible

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Well wanted to control everyone lol..

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   

I think you really mean I am unwilling to except nonesense as evidence..

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

I think you really mean I am unwilling to except nonesense as evidence..

Josh it's not my buisness what you want to believe, it's irrelevant
I am explaining to Christians why Ehrman chose atheism
Ehrman was more interested in theology, gnosis, reading and idolising the book than walking the Christian life
It's a trap for many Christians, we have to live as Christians with our faith in God not a book, any book, not a man any man

Please feel free to believe what ever you want
I don't stand in your way

If Ehrman wasn't smart enough to understand why bad things happen to people then he doesn't understand the human mind

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 04:16 AM
link   

It's funny, true Christians should have the Holy Spirit, God inside of us, expressing the fruit of the Holy Spirit and yet we never learnto listen and trust Gods Spirit in us, we place a book on a pedestal

This is something we can agree with.

Probably, the book was intended to be imperfect to provoke discussions, debates, investigations etc, through out centuries. Culture, literature, sosio-economics, languages, ideology and many other things changes or elvolve through time. It's not probable for a book to survive perfection as time goes by.

For example, a book maybe perfect to bronze age Egyptian people, but it could be seriously flaw for modern man anywhere on Earth, because we no longer share the same understanding bronze age Eygptian people did.
edit on 3-4-2018 by EasternShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Double post due to network error.
edit on 3-4-2018 by EasternShadow because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join