It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High school senior suspended, arrested after posting a toy gun on social media

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Much like Middle East issues, there's no solution.

Shirly people realize that.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I know it's a dead horse... But maybe one day it will stick for the ones who don't yet understand...
It's a mental problem, not a gun problem...

If there weren't any guns, there would be mass stabbings...
If there were no knives there would be mass chainsaw incidents..
No chainsaw's...? mass clubbing incidents.

Boys are supposed to think guns are cool... well.. because they are

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
Wow well they have officially gone full retard . A high school senior was Arrested and suspended for posting a picture of an air soft gun he got for his birthday on snapchat.

He posted it showing the sticker in full view saying it was a toy gun with the ominous message " have a nice day" and a smiley face.

There was no threat and it is an obvious toy gun yet they pulled him out of class , searched his belongings, arrested him, then called his parents to tell them what happened and the police were on there way to search the house.

And they came and searched the parents house.

I would be livid and how the hell do they have any right at all to search him or his parents house over a toy.?

No...sorry a picture of an effing toy.

OODBRIDGE, Conn. (WTNH) – A high school student was suspended and arrested after posting an image of a toy gun on social media.

Zach Cassidento, a high school senior at Amity High Regional School was suspended and arrested as a juvenile after he posted a picture of a toy gun, or what’s called an “airsoft gun,” on Snapchat.

wtnh.com...

It looks real. No one has the time you have to inspect stickers. Get over yourself. I'm pro gun, but this idiot played stupid games, and.... shake your own hand for being on par with an intellectual "maybe someday you'll be smart." Seriously, what's wrong with You? You're honestly defending an idiot who thought the differentiation between the placement of an obscure sticker and a credible threat was gp9ngnto be their saving grace. Seriously, don't reproduce. Ever. Please. I promise the world will be a better place

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

I think people should always look for solutions. Never give up. I saw a recent thread that argued more kids are killed by everything but high-school shootings. By extension, the tragedies are relegated to "Eh, it happens." That isn't to say there's an easy solution and will probably take a bunch of actions to reduce the frequency. Depoliticising the issue would be a great start and telling the media to stop exploiting the crap out of it.

a reply to: odzeandennz

Cruz' behavior, along with most American mass murderes always begin and follow the same paradigm- I'll try to get attention, im just joking with toys, then radical views, then another possible good old American crisis.

There's a lot of truth there. Attention seekers.

There was a gun incident in a UK high school this year. It was smothered completely and didn't even leak onto social media. Some will call that 'censorship' and say 'freedom of speech' was infringed. The point is that nobody got any attention, the kid was expelled and the school stayed open for the day.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 03:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack

Shirly people realize that.

Don't call me shirly.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Youre right there's solutions but .. everyone's got a different one. That last one was from a movie I saw a few years ago 'shirley valentine' so I threw it in for a laugh.

But on a serious note, yes the media is to blame no doubt about it. Exploit is their middle name and crapping on people is their game.

edit on 31-3-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Ok
I enjoyed the movie though, I cannot lie.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: bender151

Uh....no.

If i have a picture of lines of babypowder on a mirror that is not probable cause to search my home.

Its an airsoft rifle. I have a few myself, including the full auto AK. Poesession of a plasric BB gun is not probable cause to search someones house, and still would be a violation of your rights.

If police cant investigate and detect better than that i have no use for them

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I think you guys have done to yourselves... With all the endless threads I saw on ATS alone, after the Parkland shooting, of (apparently) freedom loving Americans claiming it was the fbi/police's fault because they didn't illegally detain Cruz or take his gun, simply because he made a disturbing post on social media.

What did people think all that criticism of the authorities not taking enough 'pre-cautionary' action, on social media and by the alt-right MSM was going to result in?

“The haft of the arrow had been feathered with one of the eagles own plumes. We often give our enemies the means of our own destruction.”
― Aesop

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreenGunther
I know it's a dead horse... But maybe one day it will stick for the ones who don't yet understand...
It's a mental problem, not a gun problem...

If there weren't any guns, there would be mass stabbings...
If there were no knives there would be mass chainsaw incidents..
No chainsaw's...? mass clubbing incidents.

Boys are supposed to think guns are cool... well.. because they are

Agreed.
London youth are stabbing each other to death at record levels this year.
Ban knives...oh yeah, carrying is already a crime depending on blade length...doesn't stop the tragic loss of young lives though.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: bender151

Wow well they have officially gone full retard . A high school senior was Arrested and suspended for posting a picture of an air soft gun he got for his birthday on snapchat.

He posted it showing the sticker in full view saying it was a toy gun with the ominous message " have a nice day" and a smiley face.

There was no threat and it is an obvious toy gun yet they pulled him out of class , searched his belongings, arrested him, then called his parents to tell them what happened and the police were on there way to search the house.

I would be livid and how the hell do they have any right at all to search him or his parents house over a toy.?

OODBRIDGE, Conn. (WTNH) – A high school student was suspended and arrested after posting an image of a toy gun on social media.

Zach Cassidento, a high school senior at Amity High Regional School was suspended and arrested as a juvenile after he posted a picture of a toy gun, or what’s called an “airsoft gun,” on Snapchat.

wtnh.com...

It looks real. No one has the time you have to inspect stickers. Get over yourself. I'm pro gun, but this idiot played stupid games, and.... shake your own hand for being on par with an intellectual "maybe someday you'll be smart." Seriously, what's wrong with You? You're honestly defending an idiot who thought the differentiation between the placement of an obscure sticker and a credible threat was gp9ngnto be their saving grace. Seriously, don't reproduce. Ever. Please. I promise the world will be a better place

it wouldn't matter if it were real. it is not against the law (nor should it be), to post a picture of a gun, or yourself with a gun. it is not a sure sign of a person going to shoot anyplace up, if they post a picture of a gun, or even them with a gun. it's something a lot of people do. and there is nothing nefarious or sinister in doing so. it is definitely not a matter for police or school officials to deal with. sure it can be a sign, but so can many other innocent things. seriously. how many of us are still around from when we had a member do a school shooting way back in the early 2000's? after that people were digging around and piecing together that person's postings from here as well as other sites he was on. how many people at that point looking at everything put all together could not believe we had missed what seemed so obvious, as signs of the problem? yet until it was all put together in one place, it was nothing to really consider. i recall many comments from people about how they couldn't believe we had missed such major signs of problems. and yet all those pieces on their own, did not point to there being a problem. all could be considered innocent. and very easily could have been innocent. and that is the problem. here we have ONE picture causing the system to freak out. yet that one picture is just as likely, if not more likely to be nothing. the most that should have happened if they felt they had a legitimate concern. would be to do a proper investigation. to see if there was actual cause for concern. not jump the gun and arrest and pull what is really an illegal search and seizure based solely on one picture (that happened to be a toy at that). and if you want the honest truth. doing as they have done has actually made it much more likely that this kid might decide to go on a killing spree. this could be just one more piece of bullying, and public shaming that could very well push a person over the edge.

at the rate we are going at how soon will it be that no picture being posted is even needed to jump the gun? when all it will take is, "he is a loner". "he is scary. or even "that kid has been bullied, better arrest him now, before he kills someone". welcome to having the "thought police", deciding someone might be a risk in the future, so better to take them out now. this is the danger actions such as this. when all it takes is a remote possibility of something happening in the future based upon nothing at all.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
I think you guys have done to yourselves... With all the endless threads I saw on ATS alone, after the Parkland shooting, of (apparently) freedom loving Americans claiming it was the fbi/police's fault because they didn't illegally detain Cruz or take his gun, simply because he made a disturbing post on social media.

What did people think all that criticism of the authorities not taking enough 'pre-cautionary' action, on social media and by the alt-right MSM was going to result in?

“The haft of the arrow had been feathered with one of the eagles own plumes. We often give our enemies the means of our own destruction.”
― Aesop

you have a point. what he had posted more than likely only deserved to be quietly checked out. who knows what they might have found and pieced together. and what it could have meant. i apologize as i am not familiar with what exactly he had posted. the honest truth however is that it is actually more likely that someone who was going to do this would NOT give such warnings out. i remember when i was FALSLY accused" of threatening to kill everyone in high school. (the purpose being to just get me kicked out of class. just one more form of the bullying that goes on. and thanks to things like this we can expect more such setting up of classmates they don't like as part of bullying them. just another form of "swatting" really). the first thing a thought was that IF i was going to do such a thing, i certainly would not have warned them ahead of time.

the real truth of course is almost no one is willing to actually DO something that actually can stop such things. it's as easy as setting up entry points with security. both checking to make sure those going in, are supposed to be there. as well as making sure no one is bringing in things they should not be. like guns, knives or other weapons. everyone shows their valid school ID to get in. and then have their bags checked. very simple and really not all that expensive to hire a couple security guards to run the gate, checking those things.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack
a reply to: notsure1

If this catches on, all teenagers will pull this stunt to avoid having to go to school.

Stupid that in the 50's you could show and tell your parent's rifle in class, 20 years ago Westerns were still popular but now just mentioning toy guns will get you expelled from school. Social engineering? Nah..

I finally understand Hope and Change.
They change society and you hope you don't get arrested for things that were normal once.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: generik

Checking out a kid with an airsoft rifle just seems insane to me.

The kids play airsoft wars in the pasture land around the home i just moved from last year.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Fear of firearms conditioning is complete. Hey kids test it yourself, spray paint a rough image of a firearm on your school wall and watch what happens. Shout the word gun in a crowded room.

Lol, don't do any of this , there will be... trouble.

Just making a point.

Que the handwringing

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   
swing by do a check up, sure, talk to the kid and parents looking for clues yup no problem...

Arrest, suspension, home searched over a picture alone with nothing else to corroborate an imminent threat, is lazy police work and stupid because the parents certainly have a case for a lawsuit now.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Yeah true. It makes death so much more enticing, I never thought i'd look forward to that but this generation did it for me.
edit on 31-3-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Life is not black or white. The choice is not either have authorities do nothing or have authorities arrest for anything.

The authorities are not supposed to be machines. I do not expect, nor do I want, Robocop!

There is such a thing as common sense, although it seems it is much less common that it should be. If the police cannot take the trouble to actually think about what they are doing, then they need to be thrown off the force and never allowed to even look at a badge or gun again. It is just as damn wrong to arrest a kid for posting a picture of his present as it is to not arrest a kid for making a credible threat. The part that is scarier than what happened, is that anyone would consider excusing it.

Show a picture of a real (or apparently real) gun with the notation that you're going to school now... yeah, that deserves a second look. Post a picture of yourself holding a gun and claim you want to be a school shooter when you grow up? You got some 'splaining to do. Add in a history of domestic violence, and you got a problem. Post a picture of a toy gun, with the sticker that says so showing, and you're being a kid... no issue, no harm, no foul. Alert the cops? Sure, no problem. Suspend the kid? Hell fire and brimstone, NO! Arrest him? Get a warrant to search his house? GET OFF MY PLANET!

My God in heaven, have we all gone completely insane?

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: bender151

wtnh.com...

Lol what the # kinda guns have you seen if you think that toy looks real in any way shape or form? Cause it sure looks like a toy to me...I didn't even read the sticker.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: notsure1

It's his own fault. If he had simply posted a picture of a loaded AR-15 with a message about shooting students, nothing would have happened to him. Kids these days!

OK, that's enough sarcasm to overfill twenty posts right there.

Is there anyone left who doesn't realize by now that this is an agenda being driven to scare people? Either the loony tunes with a gun will get you or the cops will. What's the difference between the good guys and the bad guys today, anyway? They have the same weapons, they use the same tactics, they wear 'colors' to identify themselves to their victims, and they use physical force to enforce their will on others.

I'm trying to understand how the police can demand to search the home when the toy is clearly identified as such? Illegal search and seizure? Malicious prosecution? Abuse of power?

Someone needs a lawyer, and they need a lawyer fast! Even minors have rights.

TheRedneck

Sadly, you are right.

Extreme overreactions and overreach damage LE as a whole. While it should only reflect on these obviously incompetent and unconstitutional officers/judge who signed the warrant, the public won't see it that way.

Hard to get sympathy for "the good cops" when you have worthless a-holes doing this kind of BS.

Over a damn toy. That is PERFECTLY legal to own and display photos of (just as he could display photos of a real gun, that his parents permit him to have). Time to sue the pants off everybody involved. Only problem? it won't matter. Some genius thought it'd be smart to exempt public servants from personal liability while on the job.

These blatant overreaches and abuses will continue until the individual public servants face personal liability for infringing on Constitutional rights - whether "accidental" or not. Time to start being more careful, I suppose. And well past time to stop being so damn cavalier with CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS. It is NEVER the time to "walk a thin line" between legal/unconstitutional.

Resignations from ALL INVOLVED should be demanded. Where's our lefty friends at when we need 'em?
edit on 3/31/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join