It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why It Shouldn’t Matter If We Repeal The Second Amendment

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Apologies if that came across as crass - it was more a call to apply your thinking towards US government motivations and intentions.

I totally get where you're coming from - totally.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
a reply to: RickyD

Talking about the second amendment rights gets you the right to a second post.

sometimes those 2nd posts yield little gems don't they???

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Apologies if that came across as crass - it was more a call to apply your thinking towards US government motivations and intentions.

Ah behave with apologies, I was just wondering what you meant fella, all good.
And yep, it's different worlds over there, I'd move to Australialand before the US, any day, even with like every animal can kill you except kualas?

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
So if 100m Americans own guns how many do you think would just hand them in if the second amendment was repealed?

You have to keep in mind how much most people would have to lose if they were faced with the choice to become a criminal and face losing job and all the rest that comes with being a criminal.

When you really think about it your op is senseless in this day and age.

Especially if givin the choice to be a criminal or just turn only semi-autos.

We need the second if we want to keep them bang bangs.

link   
these natural rights are really just made up constructs when you think about it

and whether things should change they will. not sure which way they will go or if it will be for the better things will be different in another couple hundred years.

link   
American privately own arms keep the whole planet safe from absolute catastrophy. We protect the planet from our own government

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

And yep, it's different worlds over there, I'd move to Australialand before the US, any day, even with like every animal can kill you except kualas?

The US ain't so bad.
Don't fall for all the hype!

Repealing the second won't happen or amending it or whatever, IMO, and can't.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

pistols are apparently legal in the UK as long as they have a barrel longer than 12″ and a total length longer than 24

Big old pistols in the UK

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

The author is not incorrect at all. The inclusion of the 2nd amendment was an afterthought, several years later, when nervous folks started to think the Constitution was not clear enough on those 10 (or 12, depending...a couple were not ratified) items, the Bill of Rights was crafted to make doubly sure.

His assertion that the 2nd derives from natural rights is also correct. The same as the 1st. People who assert it derives from English law are mistaken or misinformed. In fact, the tendency for kings to disarm the populace was a driving force behind the 2nd to begin with.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
So if 100m Americans own guns how many do you think would just hand them in if the second amendment was repealed?

You have to keep in mind how much most people would have to lose if they were faced with the choice to become a criminal and face losing job and all the rest that comes with being a criminal.

You're forgetting the 3rd choice my friend. Give them hot lead wrapped in copper.
edit on 30-3-2018 by PraetorianAZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   

what do you hunt with that giant #ing monster in the back?

not asking to talk # im just curious

targets?

whales?

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

The US ain't so bad.
Don't fall for all the hype!

Repealing the second won't happen or amending it or whatever, IMO, and can't.

Haha I'm teasing to be fair, but there is a legal framework which could abolish the 2nd, it requires a big majority in the senate blah, but the framework is there.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   

38 states or something or another...
Can you imagine 38 states agreeing to anything???

I should bow out now cause I'm a guessin'

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

It's how I understood the OP sentiments.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
these natural rights are really just made up constructs when you think about it

and whether things should change they will. not sure which way they will go or if it will be for the better things will be different in another couple hundred years.

Perhaps. But think of it like this:

Lions, wolves, etc, are equipped with claws and large bites to defend themselves with. Snakes have venomous bites. Porcupines have quills. Even plants get in on the game...almost all plants make toxins to fend off insects and/or animals (trichomes are simply a plant defense mechanism for cannibis, actually). It stands to reason that all creatures, plant and animal, have some sort of defense. Its a natural part of our order, and being put on the planet without defenses is a death sentence.

With humans...its obvious that we are physically outmatched. Weaker, pound for pound, than almost all other animals. No claws, no real bite strength to speak of. Slow, no jump, poor constitution, highly responsive to pain....humans are at a gross disadvantage. Except...our minds. And we have created tools for defense instead of trying to rely on wrestling bears and whatnot.

We are put here completely defenseless against the majority of predatory animals, and have to fashion our own defenses.

This is the natural law that is referred to. It derives from the way nature works. We don't create that law...we observe it, and then make it so within our civilizations.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

38 states or something or another...
Can you imagine 38 states agreeing to anything???

I should bow out now cause I'm a guessin'

Haha don't bow out, it is legally possible for the 2nd to be killed...it is a thing.

EDIT
For the record I'm neutral, not my country, but I do see where the OP is coming from though.
edit on 30-3-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

what do you hunt with that giant #ing monster in the back?

Home invaders.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

You obviously hunt big monsters with it.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ

originally posted by: howtonhawky

You're forgetting the 3rd choice my friend. Give them hot lead wrapped in copper.

That was my point how many would choose that route?

Would it be enough?

How many serious gun grabs around the world have been stopped after fully enacted?

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

That is for saying F you to the bad guy, his friend behind the truck and 6 people between you and the county line...

Or hogs.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join