It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air as energy storage

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

originally posted by: pteridine

originally posted by: pteridine

a reply to: pteridine

For an individual household, it is probably more economical and efficient to get a bigger battery array.

Batteries are producing much chemical waste.

This would be like a battery but without the waste.

Are you aware that storage batteries are recycled?

The scheme you propose is complex and expensive to build and maintain for an individual household. A high pressure compressor is expensive and requires a significant amount of power to operate. High pressure gases must be handled and stored safely. From your own link, commercial power plants have to burn fuel to heat the compressed air.

Unless you have a household of engineers and a large budget, this is a bad idea for an individual.

no not all batteries are recycled

no this is not hard for the average person

we are talking less than 1000psi

most commercial air compressors could be adjusted and used

small scale

the larger the tank the longer the run

air motor doesn't require but 10-100psi to run at 1hp+

Storage batteries that would be used for this scheme are recycled.

Some people could build this system but most would have to buy a system. How would one heat the gas to use it? Commercial plants use natural gas. [See Joule–Thomson effect]
It would probably be better to use the capital outlay for solar heating and cooling and passive efficiency improvements. One could begin easily by replacing all light bulbs with LED's and improving insulation of the house.

i just do not think we are on the same page here

there is no gas

i used that for comparison cause most people have used a 5 gallon propane can before

imagine one already has a working pv system off grid

currently when the batteries are full then the excess solar is burnt off in order to not overcharge the batteries

what i purpose is that instead of burning off that excess you just use it to run a compressor that fills a large tank to 200-300psi then put an outlet on the tank run it to an air motor that powers an alternator that is switched on at night when your battery bank is low

that would be one design

less than 1000$ and you could also benefit on those cloudy days

I worked in mines and there are a lot of tools that can be run on compressed air.

I had a chain saw and arc welder that both ran on compressed air from the mine air system.

www.csunitec.com...

<< 1  2   >>

join