It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New technology harvests water from fog

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
This is amazing, remninds me of Star wars how they got their water from the air. Though I still think the best solution is to reduce our population.

www.pri.org...

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   
On a related note, thousands of Brits die of drowning. Bwahahahaha....

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

That sounds like an awesome technology. You know what I’ve always wondered. Why don’t we use ships or some other type of technology to collect the water that is pouring off of the ice caps?

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

We'll need to figure out more than just harvesting it from fog (according to a UN report anyway: Almost 6 billion people will suffer from water shortages by 2050, U.N. report finds )

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   
This is pretty cool. The various methods to pull water NOW is very interesting.

I wonder what technology would be effective for dry and hot climates?

IMHO, this should be all over the place.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Harvesting it from the ice caps seems like the only real fix to the water shortages.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
water from hogg ?

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

We'll need to figure out more than just harvesting it from fog

We don't need to figure it out, the answer is well known and obvoius- decrease our bloated population. We need to provide birth control for everyone on the planet and outlaw religion's from prohibiting it and from pushing large families.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
aThough I still think the best solution is to reduce our population. Ok you first with all you great viewpoints
reply to: CB328

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Not new necessarily. Here's a pic of water from air harvesting in Ethiopia from a few years ago. I have also seen older information for the same type of systems.

www.offgridquest.com...

from 2011:

www.allianz.com...

But it's good to see that the information is reaching new minds and areas.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

We'll need to figure out more than just harvesting it from fog

We don't need to figure it out, the answer is well known and obvoius- decrease our bloated population. We need to provide birth control for everyone on the planet and outlaw religion's from prohibiting it and from pushing large families.

Ummm...you first...I challenge ya...Go on You Tube and decrease thyself...could be the next new fad challenge...

Perhaps that's what the pod people were attempting...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries
water from hogg ?

Ummm...Hogg wash...water...

Yousir

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
On a related note, thousands of Brits die of drowning. Bwahahahaha....

Actually did make me chuckle!

It's foggy drizzle outside right now.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Ummm...so basically...I don't need fog lights on my truck...I just need a cloud fisher net mounted out front of the grill piping water into a tank in the back...
A real fine dual use product there my friend...fresh water to bottle and sell...and...it'll carve a fog free path in front of me as I drive...

YouSir
edit on 30-3-2018 by YouSir because: of those dueling doubles...

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

That sounds like an awesome technology. You know what I’ve always wondered. Why don’t we use ships or some other type of technology to collect the water that is pouring off of the ice caps?

Cost of transport. They looked at hauling icebergs all the way to other parts of the world.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
According to the article each one of the 1,500 panels can produce 300 gals a day on foggy days. That ain't chicken scratch. My question is how often would these nets need washing as pollutants would also accumulate on the nets. Nothing is maintenance free so there is always a trade off somewhere.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
it is funny

reinventing the dehumidifer

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
This sounds great for Morocco where this experiment is done, but if Morocco spent a fraction of its military budget (2014 million per year) on desalination plants they would be much better off.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Yeah, you beat me to the comment. This is hardly 'new' - it has been in use for thousands of years and modern, efficient designs are in use all over the world.

That said, I do really enjoy hearing about this kind of low tech solution to seemingly intractable problems. These things can be built locally, maintained locally, owned locally. You don't need a 24 hour hot line to the Philippines to ask questions or to try plugging it in before you can convince them to send out a service technician.

new topics

top topics

join