It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roseanne revival premieres to massive ratings

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I never watched the original series but did the first of the new series. The canned laughter completely turns me off.

It's not canned laughter...the rebooted Roseanne is actually filmed before a LIVE studio audience:

Link

I think people, nowadays, are used to shows that are edited and polished to a point that doesn't reflect anything genuine.

The laughter was real and the acting was not the result of an abundance of takes and careful editing.

edit on 3/28/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

a reply to: Boadicea

I don't think it is a pro-trump theme as several here seem to. Rosanne, the character is pro trump but I likely time will tell that she, the character will slowly come to see him differently. Over time she will be realizing that he is not the working class hero he is portrayed as being and she will convert to anti-trump with the rest of her family.

I think you may be right. Roseanne was pretty clear that she supported jobs -- not necessarily Trump. And Jackie admitting she voted third party already opens the door for outside-the-box perspectives. I expect she'll keep us on our toes and we shouldn't expect anything in particular, but we can expect anything can happen!

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I couldn't stand the original Roseanne. I watched this and it was better, but I still do not think it is great.

I doubt if I will watch it anymore, I did want to see what the old stars looked like and like the comedy about the medicines.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

It was SO refreshing to see BOTH sides of the political issues represented for a change. I had forgotten how I was much more open to the other side when things weren't so one-sided on television. SO glad this show is back on and it is going right after the hot button issues with the humor and irreverence they deserve.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Was the pro-Trump theme known about in advance?

Good question - were any trailer-ads being played in the lead-up to its release? or did it just appear in print somewhere with a time for the first episode and everyone didn't have a clue what to expect?

...asking for marketing purposes.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

I don't think it is a pro-trump theme as several here seem to. Rosanne, the character is pro trump but I likely time will tell that she, the character will slowly come to see him differently. Over time she will be realizing that he is not the working class hero he is portrayed as being and she will convert to anti-trump with the rest of her family.

I think you may be right. Roseanne was pretty clear that she supported jobs -- not necessarily Trump. And Jackie admitting she voted third party already opens the door for outside-the-box perspectives. I expect she'll keep us on our toes and we shouldn't expect anything in particular, but we can expect anything can happen!

I think that, over time, everyone on the show will grow to appreciate the views of the other characters....not just Roseanne.

On that note, I think 'Jackie' is in for the biggest challenge given how easily manipulated the character has always been, and having taken up the cause of 'feminism.'

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

originally posted by: intrepid
Was the pro-Trump theme known about in advance?

Good question - were any trailer-ads being played in the lead-up to its release? or did it just appear in print somewhere with a time for the first episode and everyone didn't have a clue what to expect?

...asking for marketing purposes.

It was reported from the get-go that Roseanne would portray a Trump supporter (as she is IRL) and that Sara Gilbert was signed on to do more than just play the part of Darlene...she is directing and/or producing IIRC. She is an out and proud lesbian and obviously believes in this project.

ALSO, ALL the original ensemble cast signed on knowing the reboot was going to handle a family full of diverse political ideas.

The first article I read announcing it was being rebooted, focused on the political part of the story.

SO....marketed that way...so much, that I believe the ratings were huge because of it.

We are starving for something to bring us together and make it funny and endearing.

edit on 3/28/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Well, I went to Youtube and you are correct. I didn't laugh once. The characters were almost annoying.

Thank you for pointing it out and directing me to the video.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I watched the original and liked it, watched the new one and liked it.

While I agree, that you could tell it was "new" to be back on the set, with some of the acting, I always liked it because really, I have a mom that was that much of a smartass, but yet we could talk about anything. And I became that mom. I could relate to the lower middle class family, and think they portrayed that very well the first time, until that whole lottery BS, and hope they do it again.
And they covered lots of issues, from the end of the last run. I also like that they are tackling current issues besides politics, like with Darlene's son, in an honest way.

And I laughed when they kept telling Darlene she was gay, and she kept saying she wasn't. I wonder who's idea that was.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Hmmmm, just as I suspected - ratings due to preconceived interest ranging from political to historical thanks to marketing strategies.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Hmmmm, just as I suspected - ratings due to preconceived interest ranging from political to historical thanks to marketing strategies.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I think that, over time, everyone on the show will grow to appreciate the views of the other characters....not just Roseanne.

Definitely.

On that note, I think 'Jackie' is in for the biggest challenge given how easily manipulated the character has always been, and having taken up the cause of 'feminism.'

Yes, but I also think it will play out -- both the good and the bad -- more in context of family values than political values. And especially different types of families. Becky is widowed -- and apparently never had kids? Darlene has two kids but no more hubby? (Though I read "David" will be on the next episode.) We don't know what happened yet to Jackie's husband and son. (That's weird) And all of them will have their own perspective on things from their own... well... perspective! Perhaps Jackie has to finally grow up and get over her neuroticism and Roseanne-complex... and Roseanne has to find a little more compassion and understanding in her heart and get over her need to control and her own Roseanne-complex if ya know what I mean!

We'll see...

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

I watched it, simply to show support for her political views. However, I actually enjoyed the show and will be watching again

Always great to support others supporting the things you care about. It is an added bonus when you actually enjoy the material being presented

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

You say that like it's a bad thing.

No - I'm just bringing it home for my friend Intrepid there and the presumptuous splitting of hairs vis-a-vis as to why it was so popular.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   

I do know what you mean.

There are a lot of great places the show can go and I hope it goes there...and not the other way. I am sure there will be hits and misses, but I have high hopes there aren't too many misses.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The "Denial" here by the left is so blinding I need welding goggles!!!

My EYES!!!

Unbelievable!!

ETA...even a shred of losing...."Change the rules, move the goal posts, kill the refs, duck, shuck and jive....NEVER admit the obvious TRUTH!!!"

It's just so laughable it's almost...well...more laughable!!

edit on 3/28/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Watched it during dinner and we all laughed heartily. Acting wasnt great...but theyll get it back together

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Are you serious?
Because there can not be a family on TV that does not fit your views?

SMH I don't even know what to say to post. Must be a writer for the show...

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thirty6BelowZero

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
what the hell is :

" anti , anti trump " ???????????????

pro trummp - just not prepared to admit it ?

or some orwellian " new speak " ?

Roseanne is not pro Trump, just playing a character.

.o2

Rosanne is an open Trump supporter in real life.

Got a "real life" link for that? Because imo, shes never been Establishment. Why people used to love her.

But then again, who can love TV celebrities?

Edit: If people nowadays fully understand what the term "Establishment" used to mean.
edit on 29-3-2018 by intrptr because: edit:

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 12:16 AM
link   
All I know is that it's hilarious that people are extending the success of television shows to.. Trump. Grabbing at every little bone tossed your way right? Pathetic. Only proves to me that most of Trump's supporters are very much like Trump, and will take credit for anything and everything to make themselves look smarter or better.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join