It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roseanne revival premieres to massive ratings

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Looks like Roseanne Barr (and also ABC) was smart enough to figure out the "secret sauce" needed to launch and succeed with a Sitcom these days. That is, go with an anti anti-Trump theme!

The revival of Roseanne premiered to massive ratings Tuesday night.

The return delivered an incredible 18.2 million viewers along with an equally impressive 5.1 rating among adults 18-49.

According to ABC, this is the highest-rated comedy telecast on any network in nearly four years (since a premiere episode of CBS’ The Big Bang Theory from 2014).

In this series re-boot, Roseanne's character voted for Donald Trump...which naturally creates all kinds of tension within the extended family.

But surely taking this tac could not possibly outpull the highly anticipated Sormy Daniel's sallacious expose on 60 Minutes...the American public wants to remain fixated on all things Trump-bashtastic, right?

In the adult demo, it also trumps Sunday’s blockbuster 60 Minutes episode which featured an interview with Stormy Daniels.

Sorry CBS/Cooper/CNN...

Roseanne Arrives Back with a Bang

The media has all but ignored...except for the shaming of, and lecturing to...the 50% of America who wanted "hope and change" of another kind, known as MAGA. It will be interesting to see if the new Roseanne keeps up the ratings momentum - and if Hollywood, the Networks, the Media, and the Advertisers finally figure out that demonizing Trump (and all of his supporters) is not the best possible business plan.
edit on 28-3-2018 by mobiusmale because: typo

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: mobiusmale
Looks like Roseanne Barr (and also ABC) was smart enough to figure out the "secret sauce" needed to launch and succeed with a Sitcom these days. That is, go with an anti anti-Trump theme!

The revival of Roseanne premiered to massive ratings Tuesday night.

The return delivered an incredible 18.2 million viewers along with an equally impressive 5.1 rating among adults 18-49.

According to ABC, this is the highest-rated comedy telecast on any network in nearly four years (since a premiere episode of CBS’ The Big Bang Theory from 2014).

In this series re-boot, Roseanne's character voted for Donald Trump...which naturally creates all kinds of tension within the extended family.

But surely taking this tac could not possibly outpull the highly anticipated Sormy Daniel's sallacious expose on 60 Minutes...the American public wants to remain fixated on all things Trump-bashtastic, right?

In the adult demo, it also trumps Sunday’s blockbuster 60 Minutes episode which featured an interview with Stormy Daniels.

Sorry CBS/Cooper/CNN...

Roseanne Arrives Back with a Bang

The media has all but ignored...except for the shaming of, and lecturing to...the 50% of America who wanted "hope and change" of another kind, known as MAGA. It will be interesting to see if the new Roseanne keeps up the ratings momentum - and if Hollywood, the Networks, the Media, and the Advertisers finally figure out that demonizing Trump (and all of his supporters) is not the best possible business plan.

Why wouldn't the show come back with a bang? The original show connected with every day, working class, broke people. They touched on issues that no other show would mention. They connected with their audience on a level that the majority of these new age shows can't. Even without Trump in the picture I'm certain the show would have done great. I've yet to watch it, but I've been anticipating it for quite some time.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
But I thought Hillary won the popular vote?

Are you sure you aren't confused with Modern Family?

KEK.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Was the pro-Trump theme known about in advance? Or were the ratings just reflecting the popularity the show previously had. Not to mention the lack of decent content today.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

It was no Real Housewives of Atlanta but they tried.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: imthegoat

Why wouldn't the show come back with a bang? The original show connected with every day, working class, broke people. They touched on issues that no other show would mention. They connected with their audience on a level that the majority of these new age shows can't. Even without Trump in the picture I'm certain the show would have done great. I've yet to watch it, but I've been anticipating it for quite some time.

Exactly right, and why Roseanne felt it was important for her to portray a Trump supporter in the reboot.

It’s just realistic,” she explained. “I have always … attempted to portray a realistic portrait of the American people and working class people. And, in fact, it was working class people that elected Trump so I felt that was very real and something that needed to be discussed.

Roseanne Purposely Pro-Trump

I agree that the show's return would have likely been popular in any event - but I think the pro-Trump angle is likely to give it a turbo-charge in the on-going ratings.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Was the pro-Trump theme known about in advance? Or were the ratings just reflecting the popularity the show previously had. Not to mention the lack of decent content today.

Yes, it was promoted in advance (as early as January) - and then there was the now-famous Kimmel show where she told Jimmy to shut the "farm up" about Donald Trump.
edit on 28-3-2018 by mobiusmale because: typo

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

If I am not mistaken, Roseanne was an incredibly popular show and it's return was highly anticipated.

the 50% of America who wanted "hope and change" of another kind, known as MAGA

About time people admit they fell for similar bull#. Not much difference between the Left and Right these days.

All a bunch of fools pretending to not be fools.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Was it due to Roseanne's views on Trump or was it simply the nostalgia factor? It should also be noted that the show isn't strictly pro-Trump. It seems like it spans the whole political gamut, complete with a cross-dressing youth.

I do find it funny however how many Trump supporters are championing Roseanne after her rendition of the national anthem. What she did is much worse than simply taking a knee.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Must have been pro Trump i heard CNN said it sucked.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
It´s 23.59.59 on the domsday clock, because of the "U"SA, and your only problems are Roseanne.

I have an idea why it could come that far!

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

From the clips I saw, the acting was pretty bad and the jokes were fairly cringey. So I wouldn't be surprised if it got a bad review.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
"I just want to watch football, not watch political commentary by football players!"

"Why can't they just leave politics out of entertainment?"

"Hollyweird is always subjecting their audiences with political undertones!"

Leave it to the same crowd who whines about "having politics shoved down their throats," applaud having politics shoved down their throats because it's a political message they approve of.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
We watched it and loved it!

It's certainly not a "pro-Trump" show. It's not an "anti-Trump" show either. I'd say it's more about families and politics... and I'll bet a whole lot of families can relate.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the characters and plot lines develop. This should be fun!!!

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Roseanne likes to portray herself as speaking for the middle class, average American.

What she actually is doing is parodying poor, uncouth, uneducated Americans. I personally don't think that's very admirable.

Unfortunately, I had the displeasure many years ago when she was with Tom Arnold of showing them mansions to purchase in the Lake Minnetonka area of Minneapolis. (Her cousin was a realtor there and Tom wanted to move there.)

What a cold, rude and disgusting person she showed herself to be-acting like she was too good for a home that would now sell in the 12m range. Tom loved the homes. She sneered, burped and criticized the Minneapolis area as nothing but the boonies.

I couldn't wait to get away from her crude snottiness. Tom was a friendly, talkative happy guy.

Never liked her first crude show and would never watch the new one. She's a liar, a phony and fake. This is all about the money and her ego. She cares nothing about Trump or middle class America. Don't be fooled.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Liberal Hollywood politicises everything -The Right

politicise Hollywood so we can own the Libs - the Right

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: mikell

From the clips I saw, the acting was pretty bad and the jokes were fairly cringey..

Sounds like a sitcom alright.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
what the hell is :

" anti , anti trump " ???????????????

pro trummp - just not prepared to admit it ?

or some orwellian " new speak " ?

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

I agree that the show's return would have likely been popular in any event - but I think the pro-Trump angle is likely to give it a turbo-charge in the on-going ratings.

Especially when she realizes the err, ummm... error of her ways. That will be comedic, sort of. Because every election the people are lulled into believing in "change they can believe in" , one_more_time.

I agree what else you said.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Your question is kind of why it did well. It wasn’t really pro trump, it just wasn’t anti trump. It was real life. Middle class family needs a tax cut, voted for trump. Other people in the family didn’t and don’t like him. Both sides talked noise.

On a side note

The family prayed at the dinner table, when was the last time you saw that???

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join