It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google defeats lawsuit claiming YouTube censors conservatives

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

a reply to: Southern Guardian

Your oily defence of a massive multi-national corporation’s censoring of someone’s free speech proves none of this is about principle, and we can put free speech in the growing pile of things you do not believe in.

I'm sure you've heard the saying "your rights end where the rights of others begin", correct?

Apparently you do not believe in private property rights, because if you did, you would not have said such a thing.

Your oily defence of a massive multi-national corporation’s censoring of someone’s free speech proves none of this is about principle, and we can put free speech in the growing pile of things you do not believe in.

Ahh, I see.

You're one of those folks that thinks repeating something over and over makes it true.

No wonder propaganda works so well. People even use the techniques on themselves.

No, I just treat all would-be censors the same.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

But corporations also have a right to free speech. By saying that the government should mandate how YouTube operates on day-to-day basis, you are the one actually arguing against the 1st Amendment.

Good to know you hate free speech.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I'm sure you've heard the saying "your rights end where the rights of others begin", correct?

Apparently you do not believe in private property rights, because if you did, you would not have said such a thing.

Ahh, I see.

You're one of those folks that thinks repeating something over and over makes it true.

No wonder propaganda works so well. People even use the techniques on themselves.

So those that exercise their rights are considered censors. Ok.

If only you would treat/respect all rights the same.

People such as yourself are the reason we have rights to begin with. Our rights are protection from those that pick and choose which freedoms are acceptable.
edit on 28-3-2018 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   

You make it sound like you believe that the judge made the wrong call in this case. In which case, yes you are advocating for the government to strip YouTube of their 1st Amendment rights.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

You make it sound like you believe that the judge made the wrong call in this case. In which case, yes you are advocating for the government to strip YouTube of their 1st Amendment rights.

No, you make it sound like I believe that. I never mentioned a judge, the government, nor the first amendment.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

No, you make it sound like I believe that. I never mentioned a judge, the government, nor the first amendment.

But you do a STELLAR job of telling other people what they believe as you've done throughout the thread. Seems like turnabout is fair game to me.
edit on 28-3-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Ahh, I see.

So those that exercise their rights are considered censors. Ok.

If only you would treat/respect all rights the same.

People such as yourself and the reason we have rights to begin with.

No those who censor and support censorship are censors.

Don’t worry, I wouldn’t stand on your property knowing that my human rights end there.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   

So then why are you saying that the people who support this decision hate free speech?

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Yeah I figured your copy pasta would be your response.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

I don't see how you can consider what YouTube is doing censorship. As far as I'm aware, every video or channel that has be removed did violate the YouTube T&Cs. These people agreed to those rules when they made their channel. So no, they are not being censored.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I don't see how you can consider what YouTube is doing censorship. As far as I'm aware, every video or channel that has be removed did violate the YouTube T&Cs. These people agreed to those rules when they made their channel. So no, they are not being censored.

PragerU did not violate anything, as is evident by their content. Either way, this is not a question of laws and contracts, but in principles.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   

And it's videos were not removed.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

LesMis thinks that you should be able to say anything whenever or whereever you want customs, T&C's, EULAs, etc be damned. If you want to yell fire in a crowded theater that is A-Ok with him. Saying you aren't allowed to do that is censorship to him and infringing on that person's free speech, and there is NEVER any room for nuance in this discussion. That is why he is just merely copy pasting that weak ass ad hominem in response to anyone who talks to him.
edit on 28-3-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Yep, I say this every time--private companies should be able to do with their product what they will. (and before everyone freaks out, "private" as I used the word means "non-government owned.")

That doesn't mean that YouTube isn't censoring right-leaning content, though, it just means that they have no legal justification to treat all content the same.

I would agree, and hope that it stays that way.

I will say this, though--the more that it acts this way, though, and the things that they're doing with gun videos and the like, the bigger the chance that they will eventually go the way of Toys-R-Us, as its business model pushes more and more people to other places that offer the same products/services. Let the free-ish market sort it out.

edit on 28-3-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Xcalibur254

LesMis thinks that you should be able to say anything whenever or whereever you want customs, T&C's, EULAs, etc be damned. If you want to yell fire in a crowded theater that is A-Ok with him. Saying you aren't allowed to do that is censorship to him and infringing on that person's free speech.

I believe in free speech, yes.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

And it's videos were not removed.

To be honest, I know little of the specifics of the case. What worries me is the flippant excuse-making of your average citizen around such matters, especially because it effects them more than they realize.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I know. I was clarifying your beliefs. I've talked to you enough to know that you have a crazy unrealistic idea of applying free speech, but others may not have realized that yet.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join