It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey's First Multiple Purpose Amphib is making progress

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

The construction of Turkey’s first indigenously built “multipurpose amphibious assault ship,” the TCG Anadolu, which can be configured as a light aircraft carrier, in Istanbul is gathering pace, according to the head of a Turkish business body.

“Approximately 90 percent of the [building] blocks are at the end of production,” Metin Kalkavan, who is the chairman of Istanbul, Marmara, Aegean, Mediterranean and Black Sea Chamber of Merchants, told state-run Anadolu Agency.

www.hurriyetdailynews.com...

I guess we need to include Turkey in the list of nations with jeep carrier aspirations. The difference is, I think, they will get there ahead of the Japanese. Unless the Japanese outright convert the Izumo. Even then, it'll be a tight race.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Is that the one that has wings and can fly?

It'd be awesome to task a classroom of elementary kids to try and draw these Turkish craft based only on the descriptions...

...and perhaps let them have Turkish Star Wars playing at the same time.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Interesting configuration with low center of gravity.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Turkey doesn't have a plane capable of operating off that carrier, so I don't imagine there's much to that other than semantics at the moment. The -B needs customers, so I'm sure they're all ears at LM. Still going to be of limited utility.

(I should probably be clear that I mean limited utility from a "carrier" standpoint. For my money amphib ships represent better value than a fleet carrier)

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

They want the B and haven't been shy about it, but I am sure you know that. Just putting it up for others to see.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   
LM is waiting and doing it's best Jerry Maguire impersonation in the meantime. Maybe they figure if they buy the ship first, the bean counters have to let them get the planes for it. Going for the sunk cost argument.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert
Turkey doesn't have a plane capable of operating off that carrier, so I don't imagine there's much to that other than semantics at the moment. The -B needs customers, so I'm sure they're all ears at LM. Still going to be of limited utility.

(I should probably be clear that I mean limited utility from a "carrier" standpoint. For my money amphib ships represent better value than a fleet carrier)

I( agree; the F-35 have many small fleet carriers dreaming of a more cost effect ship that can launch the VSTOL F-35.. Japan has certainly taken the cue... It will be interesting if the VSTOL F-35 gets delivered to Turkey IMO. Money talks unfortunately..
edit on 727thk18 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Well, Turkey's already buying the F-35As...sooo...it is plausible. just whether or not the US will part with them for Turkey given Turkey and the US not quite getting along as well as we used to.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

What a stupid looking piece of junk. They are lucky it floats. It looks like a cargo freighter with the containers welded together.

They should just sink it and use the lifeboats to go back home for a better ship.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

It's an aircraft carrying cargo freighter. That's exactly what a modern amphib is. except the cargo happens to be Turkish marines.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Not nearly as cool looking as our amphib classes... Oh...

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

a reply to: anzha

It may look like every other one like it. I say that because Turkey built 60% of it, that the 60 % will suck as a consequence.

edit on 3 27 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I wonder why the Sultan want to extend the capabilities of his air power?

www.express.co.uk...

edit on 27-3-2018 by solidshot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
That's a nice cutaway model they have there. I'll believe the ship when I see it floating. Erdogan is pushing to be the new Islamic war lord for the 21st century but he will get a rude awakening especially if he actually tries to attack Israel.
As with all ships a well placed missile will end it's lifespan.
edit on 27-3-2018 by crayzeed because: added.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Isn't it just a modified Juan Carlos/Adelaide class? Every time I hear that one of its operators has aspirations to fly B model F-35's off it whilst it is still plainly fitted out as an LHD I laugh. In order to properly operate the F-35 off that hull you are going to have to build it dedicated to that role in order to have any hope of having useful below deck hangars, workshop spaces, deck lifts, magazines and aviation fuel bunkers. Otherwise you are just using it to transport them from A to B and not many at that. Why else does anyone think the US built the USS America class the way it did?

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The deck has to be specially adapted to stop it from melting from the B models downward exhaust as well.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Hopefully it'll do a better job than Australia's Canberra class LHDs, pretty much the same size as these. They have serious engine issues, caused by Navantia, Siemens and BAE Systems not being able to integrate their components of the total propulsion system. Engineers have found temporary workarounds, but speak to anyone in the know and you will hear a stream of vindictive on how this issue of getting 3 very different companies with different engineering approaches work together was a near guarantee of this mini-disaster happening.

As always, if there's a way to screw something up, the defense contractors will find a way...

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Borys
Its the same Borys as the Canberra class/Juan Carlos class (sorry did I say Adelaide class above? Thats night shift for you). I'm pretty sure its using the same Siemens azipod system so who knows? I'm well aware of problems with the CAnberra's, I was informed that the "cracking" that was found in the hull an attributed to the sea-lift ship that brought them to Australia was in fact caused by incorrect operation of the azipod system.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

Both LO1 and LO2 ships are now back in port, about 600m away from me, and the word here seems to be two steps forward, two steps back: some azipod issues fixed but now issues with generators, inconsistent oil pressure, climate control problems and more time in port. Whilst issues like this are all too common with new ships, these two seem to be definitely at the upper end of problems.

Wonder when the warranty runs out...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join