It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you feel disillusioned?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I spent my life watching tv and playing games. I used to think the attention politicians and celebrities got was in part because they were better/superior people.

Since social media tools like twitter and Instagram came out and they
Started showing their personalities I feel very let down

They sure don’t seem like great intellects whose opinions we should consider more than others when determining what civilization should do in various scenarios.

Do you feel like you’ve awoke from severe delusions?

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Tyred

We all need to "wake up" from childhood/immature beliefs at some point. Those who don't are like the Will Ferrel's in that movie Old School, where he lives with his mom watching sitcoms all day and yelling "MOM! Where's the MEATLOAF??"

I woke up from the belief that A) either presidential candidate is actually "for the people" (hint: they're not)
B) the global economy is not going to implode in a single day, nor will TPTB begin forcing civilians into FEMA camps (at least not at the current moment :devil

and C) I have control over what I spend my time and research on, and I choose to no longer spend so much effort on the more disheartening subjects that help to illustrate the monsters that human beings can often times be - there are also a lot of subjects and scenarios that help to illustrate the positive contributions of people for other people, animals, and nature (although in general, we are LACKING in those departments)

As you get older you will learn more about yourself and the world you live in. If you aren't learning, you aren't doing something right...
that's my .02 anyway

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Disillusionment with public figures is much older than social media. You won't remember the "satire boom" of the Sixties. Here is an excerpt from "That was the week that was" (affectionately known as TW3).

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Yes. I resisted coming to the internet until 2011. When I finally arrived I thought that UFO disclosure would be common knowledge by now, spirit world would be understood, JFK, 911, trials for crimes against humanity would all be revealed, plain as day, for all to see.

After all, the internet is world wide instant dissemination of information, the truth is reality available, all you have to do is google it, riiiight?

What I discovered is the same control freaks that control the information airwaves in the past via radio newspapers and TV have controlled the interwebz too.

Go ahead 'n bury your head in an avalanche of misinformation, lies and cover up. There will be millions of 'hits'.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

First mistake, thinking ANYONE is any BETTER than you.

Second mistake, putting ANYONE on a pedestal other than your spouse.

Believe it or not, there was a time when people didn't want their daughters marrying an "entertainer".

Actors are only entertainers, and politicians are suppose to work for YOU.

No need to give them any more power. Just go and enjoy a movie, and who cares what they think?

And hold your politician accountable, no matter your views. Vote.

And don't write ALL politicians and ALL entertainers off. Just like "the real world", there are a few smart ones mixed in. You just have to figure out which ones you might listen to.

That would be my advice to you. Not that you asked. But you did post!!

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I woke up in stage one , the illusion of religion around 14 years old in 1978.

Stage two happened a few years later in not trusting any authority figure.

Stage three happened when I truely questioned the world around me and joined ATS.

Stage four happened when I rediscovered myself.

Stage five, that is when all those other stages came together and I learned how to research and vet out my own news sources.

Stage six is when I found true love and the truth about how the world works.

It takes awhile, be patient, it will come.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tyred
I spent my life watching tv and playing games. I used to think the attention politicians and celebrities got was in part because they were better/superior people.

They sure don’t seem like great intellects whose opinions we should consider more than others when determining what civilization should do in various scenarios.

i'm trying to figure out how you managed to get the impression that celebrities and politicians were great intellects. you're not much older than me and i've known since high school that most of them were average or worse.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tyred

All t.v. and games are the deluded-illusion you grew up /with. Out your front door is the place called the "REAL WORLD"....and it's not the MTV show.....

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 02:22 AM
link   

hmmm Personally I feel wide awake thanks to celebs like Roman Zolanski , Rainman and Shasha fierce.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
You don't put people up on a pedestal because of their credentials. Or their social status or just for them being famous.

A movie star is just a better actor than us, It is their other actions that should lead to respecting them, not their career. A famous singer is just another person, they are good at what they do, but that does not mean we should give them extra respect unless they prove they are honest and decent people.

Politicians are just people, kind of dumb to want that job, they might be considered mentally ill to desire to work there, so we should treat them with the same respect we should be giving to all the mentally ill. We shouldn't feed their delusion too much and watch that they do not give our tax money to scammers and people who make us think we need things we really don't need so they can profit from it.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

My first disillusionment began when, after graduating high school and returning to the US, around about 1980 or so, I realized that since having returned, nothing ever got any better, everything was slowly deteriorating. The song "Allentown" best summed that disillusionment best.

My next disillusionment began about 18 years ago when I stopped watching TV news when I realized that there really are only about 400 or so "news" stories. So that means its all a re-run with different people's and places names. Once in a while you get a spectacular newbie like 911 but that's really pretty rare.

My next disillusionment was the election of George Bush and the resulting stupidity of the Iraq war and a do-nothing Republican controlled Congress. That's when I learned that Republican's can't govern.

My next one was when the Democrats passed Obamacare. That's when I learned the Democrats can't govern "well" and always come up with the absolute worst solution to any problem.

My final disillusionment will be when, due to out of control spending by Congress, the US is forced to default on its debt and the currency is rendered worthless and we're all reduced to third world poverty conditions resembling Venezuela.

This would best sum up the final disillusionment:

new topics

top topics

join