It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Administration Retreats on Tip-Sharing Plan in Compromise

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I tip at the Chinese buffet because even though I get my own food the waitresses do take away the used plates and refills the soda glasses. It's not what I'd tip the wait staff of a full service restaurant but I leave a few dollars. Buffets only take $25.00 out of my pocket anyway. And that's for two. The cheapest good eats in town. I go for the fried oysters. And the raw oysters and all the sushi I can eat.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

You were here for most of Obama's term...any threads on him? Any critique of his policies?

Changed your tune since this? - www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 07:05 PM

I find it rather bothersom of the willful neglect of the constitution when it doesnt suit the arguments of some folks. Lets not the forget the constitution was not written "by conservatives" for "conservatives". It was not written "patriots" for "patriots". The constitution was written by the people for the people. The constitution represents all americans, in all ethnicities, religions and ideologies. There is gross ignorance of the constitutional rights that apply to all americans among many on here. I tell ya, its rather interesting seeing a thread regarding how Obama should be impeached because of this unauthenticated document or that he should be removed because of this policie or that the "american people want him to leave" even though that really translates to "southern conservatives and disgruntled libertarians want him to".

Or is it ok when Democrats do it?

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

That was a great thread. Thank you for bringing that back up!

Do what? Why don't you tell us what the Democrats are doing?

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   

You were here for most of Obama's term...any threads on him? Any critique of his policies?

Stop deflecting. Answer the question.

And if I have to point out the hypocrisy of Democrats when it comes to Obama vs Trump, you haven't been paying attention.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   

What have the Democrats done David? Since you've made the claim I've been partisan you have to demonstrate where.

What did they do?

Did the Democrats push for a bill stripping tips away from employees and giving it to the employers to do as they please?

Did the Democrats pass a bill giving $1.2 trillion in tax cuts to corporations?

Did the Democrats push for neo-con Bolton to join the Obama administration?

Did the Democrats play moral fibre and family values David?

What did the Democrats do?

The only person deflecting from the OP might I add is you with this post - and I'm entertaining it.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Looks like Trump got over the goal line again with the 10-steps strategy !!

Start on the 5-yardline.

Get 9 penalties back to the 30-yardline.

Throw one pass into the end zone for a touchdown !!

🤣

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Good. I run restaurants for a living and find this proposal to be disgustingly exploitative of small market employees.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   

The only back of house employees that should get a claim to tips are those in chain of service like a sushi chef serving guests his product.

It shouldnt happen regardless. In the end itll create a fuzzy menu costing concept for the customers to guesd at and will make it harder to manage labor costs for ownership

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
a reply to: 3daysgone

Are we still going with the excuse 'it's all part of Trump's master plan' game? We're sticking with this excuse? Because after this recent spending bill he signed in, the deficits set to incur over the next 10 years, his lackluster move on his promises, his appointments of establishment hacks like Bolton, he's not looking too bright at all.

At want point do you concede he just sucks at following up on his promises and commitments?

What page of the 2300 pg bill was that on and who put that in it?

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

Changed your tune since this? - www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 07:05 PM

I find it rather bothersom of the willful neglect of the constitution when it doesnt suit the arguments of some folks. Lets not the forget the constitution was not written "by conservatives" for "conservatives". It was not written "patriots" for "patriots". The constitution was written by the people for the people. The constitution represents all americans, in all ethnicities, religions and ideologies. There is gross ignorance of the constitutional rights that apply to all americans among many on here. I tell ya, its rather interesting seeing a thread regarding how Obama should be impeached because of this unauthenticated document or that he should be removed because of this policie or that the "american people want him to leave" even though that really translates to "southern conservatives and disgruntled libertarians want him to".

Nice find!

lol!

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

What have the Democrats done David? Since you've made the claim I've been partisan you have to demonstrate where.

What did they do?

Did the Democrats push for a bill stripping tips away from employees and giving it to the employers to do as they please?

Did the Democrats pass a bill giving $1.2 trillion in tax cuts to corporations?

Did the Democrats push for neo-con Bolton to join the Obama administration?

Did the Democrats play moral fibre and family values David?

What did the Democrats do?

The only person deflecting from the OP might I add is you with this post - and I'm entertaining it.

Most of the spending bill is from the Dems.

Military only got half, yet you guys got the other half.

And you have a problem wit that?

You want more of the military money?

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

I tip at the Chinese buffet because even though I get my own food the waitresses do take away the used plates and refills the soda glasses. It's not what I'd tip the wait staff of a full service restaurant but I leave a few dollars. Buffets only take $25.00 out of my pocket anyway. And that's for two. The cheapest good eats in town. I go for the fried oysters. And the raw oysters and all the sushi I can eat.

Oh is that YOU?!

lol, You should be tipping 25%.

Restos can add a service charge. We had a 17% Service charge back in the 90's.

Here, 10% is standard and you don't tip.

We saved the service charges and split them up at the end of the month for the floor and kitchen.

The house got it, back in the states.

So I'm not sure what the problem is. Oh yeah, Trump!

Waits are not hurting. They usually make more than anyone in the kitchen, per diem.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I would say the big national chains had this in the works well before Trump's Presidency. The other side was listened to...by Trump and a proper decision was made. Rather simple.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

If trump was looking out for the “little guy”, they don’t have to back off this policy change.. they don’t try and change it in the first place..

He ran from this due to push back, not because he didn’t want to do it..

If he didn’t want to do it he doesn’t change the obama policy that stated “all tips belong to the server..”

Duh...

That is like saying ..

“Trump is such a hero... he set up nuclear weapons all around the planet, so he could destroy the planet. Then he decided not to use them.. what a hero..”

Lol

here is a summary of the 2010 and 2011 rulings.

"In 2010, a federal court ruled that if an employer pays tipped workers at least the federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, it can require that gratuities be shared among the entire staff. In effect, this meant such tips belonged to restaurant owners, not servers."

"In response, the Labor Department decided in 2011 that tips are the property of the employee, and that "the employer is prohibited from using an employee's tips" to pool funds for kitchen staff."

Remember, waitresses often get a reduced wage because they make tips. A good waitress can make thirty bucks an hour on a good day in the right restaurant, even with only making three fifty an hour on the job. I have known a lot of waitresses in my lifetime.

The 2010 law only applied to those making the federal minimum wage. Nowhere in these laws does it say that the owner makes more money off the tips, it is shared between all help. Some restaurants around here used this to guarantee that a waitress always made minimum wage. I think this should be regulated at the restaurant level myself, because the cooks and other help are required to be paid minimum wage or higher. Why should a chef making real good money get part of the tips. I don't see either of these laws being necessary, I think that this regulation should be done on a business by business basis. I can see that when a waitress makes thirty bucks an hour while the kitchen help makes ten, it can cause problems too. That is an inequity, and this inequity is real. Just because a waitress is friendly and efficient does not mean she deserves three times as much money as the cooks in the kitchen either, especially if they are just making ten bucks an hour and make good food and can keep up well. The business owner cannot afford to pay these kitchen people twenty bucks an hour, their wage is governed by how much people are willing to pay and it is definitely a dog eat dog world out there in that business.

I do not get involved in this, but the restaurants I do go to actually have policies with reduced wages on waitresses and they do make more than most of the other people in the restaurants with the tips. But sometimes on a bad day they do not make much tips, the customers usually give the waitresses a little more when they are not making much because it is dead to help balance things. We have been doing this for generations, we want good waitresses. I cannot see newage mindset that we need to give fifteen percent to waitresses. If they are friendly and good workers I give them good tips, up to fifty percent some times and occasionally I will tip almost the same as the bill. If they are bad and cranky, I only tip a little, They learn from the other waitresses how to treat customers. I do not tip based on the looks of the waitress, never have. I tip based on friendliness and how good they are. Lots of people tip based on appearance, not me, never have and never will.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Leaving a buck on the table for the help taking the dishes away, if they are doing it efficiently is not really a tip. It is more like a reward for them being efficient at their job. I do leave small tips like that at the smaller Chinese restaurants, they usually put the money in a jar and the whole crew gets a treat once in a while. I don't tip at the real big places though,

I do give a smaller tip at smaller places because some of the real places have Chinese immigrants there, one we used to go to the owner paid the workers a salary, less than minimum wage, then she rented them appartments as part of the benefits so the people did not have to pay so much taxes. They also got free food for themselves and their families. Our favorite restaurant had some local busybodies tell the employees they need to get at least minimum wage for their work, the owner treated her help really good. So they filed a claim with the labor department and quit their jobs, leaving her without workers. They expected her to still pay the apartment rent , over eight hundred bucks a month, when they were filing the charges and had quit, they also expected that she would feed them. They could not find a job anywhere once they filed against this employer, everyone in town knew this women took good care of her workers, even all her competition. They got nothing, the government considered her supplied apartment as part of their wage and even her supplying them with food for their families was considered. But the owner wound up with a ten grand lawyer bill to fight this thing, she did not make much she had the best Chinese food in town at a real good price.

She is out of business now, she got depressed and sold off the building and equipment and moved to California to be with family. Her husband worked in the kitchen, she worked as the hostess and they even had a big garden outside for fresh vegies for her workers and them, after the workers left they still wanted the fresh veggies too. For some strange reason, they could not use the veggies in the restaurant, they would have had to be commercially bought to use in there.

We have the same accountant and he had to figure out all the paperwork for the legal thing, he mentioned that they got salary and benefits way above what was considered minimum wage, he did the work for them for the court hearing. From what I gather, they got around five dollars an hour above minimum wage when considering their benefits, she even supplied them with some basic health insurance benefits which she just paid in case they got sick but that was not considered in the wage part by the government. No other Chinese restaurants did that around here for their workers, she took care of them. They were their friends. Stupid busybody people stirring up trouble.
edit on 25-3-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

A tip is a reward.

Uncle Sam taxing your gift has bastardized it into wages.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

It's hard to have a decent debate with somebody of this kind of partisan mindset

I will always have a good laugh when I think about you writing that. lol

Nuff said.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

A tip is a reward.

Uncle Sam taxing your gift has bastardized it into wages.

They have been taxing tips since I was working in a restaurant back in the early seventies. Not all the tips the waitresses got were reported though, but they were required to report at least enough to show they made minimum wages.

I dated some waitresses and observed them all counting their tips at the end of the night, they made more than I did working in the flooring mill or being one of the bosses of an agency. A good waitress makes good money.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   

They make very good money in places with higher average checks, or ones that drive high volume.

Its a tough job, but can pay fairly well.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Good. I run restaurants for a living and find this proposal to be disgustingly exploitative of small market employees.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. Sure, the wait staff is the face of the product, but ultimately, a good tip comes from an enjoyable experience which means the food has to be good too. It needs to be made on time, the way the customer wants it.

Years ago, I worked in a deli delivering and serving food. The owner got an automatic 50% of the tips because she said it was her product, and her business, so she was entitlted to the revenue coming in. The remaining 50% was split on a per order basis between myself and whichever cook made the food.

I didn't like that arrangement, but I struggle to see where it would be considered unfair since I agreed to it. Without either the owner or the cook I would have had zero in tips.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join