It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retail apocalypse continues

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: ketsuko
I think it really depends on what we're talking about as to whether or not people buy online v. instore.

You can do both with the evil empire Walmart. I've used their online service and am quite pleased. They are moving with the times.

The only time I tried to use Walmart's online site, it was so slow and inefficient that I quickly got disgusted and gave up.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
We have a local hardware that the sign out front says "please shop here we support 2 families" Then it says the big box stores are 15 miles away and time is money!

They are adding on next month

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: stormcell

Nice anecdote but do you have any data sources to back this theory?

Whiteley Shopping Center (Plenty of car parking + weekend bus services) goo.gl...
Open late nights

Jean Store (Birmingham) Open 24 hours online. Specializes in all sizes. www.jeanstore.co.uk...

The 157 store (£200 jeans) goo.gl...

Fareham shopping center does have clothing shops, but it closes at 6pm.

Other countries, like Norway, shops are open late every night.
Trondheim Torg (goo.gl...)
Solsiden (mall + apartments) goo.gl...

With the Torg, they converted a street into a shopping mall simply by converting a street into an Atrium area by
adding a glass roof. This makes the whole area comfortable at night and cool in summer.
edit on 25-3-2018 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Your experience with Radio Shack is similar to mine with other stores.
What you wnat...the don't have....and it's all fine and well if you can get it from them online...but if not, folks will go to Amazon, etc.

Another thing....if you want a certain coffee maker....and it's not a Keurig kind of thing....just basic....you either have to go to several stores, spending time and gas....or you go to Amazon, Overstock, etc.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

cant say I feel sorry other than the employees...brick and mortar stores didn't care about the mom and pop stores they crushed when they opened..karma is a hell of a thing

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

One thing about Mom and Pop stores is that they can pop back up quicker than the mega stores.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: autopat51
no matter what "THEY" say, we are in the grips of a depression.
our money is worthless, just look at what is happening!
hey there

yep, i'm in global finance......in 1945 we were at 45%...............now hold your seat....96% gone giving really less than 3% is in the tally
edit on 25-3-2018 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   

You state that Amazon is "stealing" their business, but i would say that Amazon has a better business model. It really is time for alot of Dinosaurs to go to their final resting place. Not just in the retail sector either.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ThoughtIsMadness

You state that Amazon is "stealing" their business, but i would say that Amazon has a better business model. It really is time for alot of Dinosaurs to go to their final resting place. Not just in the retail sector either.

It depends on what you want to buy. A bit over a year ago, I decided I wanted a tablet to replace my netbook. I drove 2 hours to a best buy, tried their models, and settled on what I wanted after some research. They didn't have the model I wanted in the correct memory size, so I said I would take the size down, then they said they don't stock the model at all, and would order it then ship it to me. I said I would take the floor model then, but it wasn't for sale.

At the end of the day, I had really wanted to purchase from that store since I was demoing the products there, but it was 15% cheaper on Amazon, I would have it sooner, and I would be able to get the exact model I wanted. I ended up not making the in store purchase.

These stores aren't going to survive (and they're dying all the time) when people go in, demo the product, and then order online. But, that's exactly what's happening. Personally, I've never been comfortable buying something I can't physically see first. Electronics, clothes, etc... I like seeing it before I buy. But the industry is moving against that.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   
ION XM-42 Flame Thrower!

Gonna order one now!

Online for $8.99! $10.99 in stores.

lol!!!

xm42.com...

ETA; crap, it's $899.00! lol. Still cool tho.

edit on 3 25 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

edit on 3 25 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: ThoughtIsMadness

It depends on what you want to buy. A bit over a year ago, I decided I wanted a tablet to replace my netbook. I drove 2 hours to a best buy, tried their models, and settled on what I wanted after some research. They didn't have the model I wanted in the correct memory size, so I said I would take the size down, then they said they don't stock the model at all, and would order it then ship it to me. I said I would take the floor model then, but it wasn't for sale.

At the end of the day, I had really wanted to purchase from that store since I was demoing the products there, but it was 15% cheaper on Amazon, I would have it sooner, and I would be able to get the exact model I wanted. I ended up not making the in store purchase.

These stores aren't going to survive (and they're dying all the time) when people go in, demo the product, and then order online. But, that's exactly what's happening.Personally, I've never been comfortable buying something I can't physically see first. Electronics, clothes, etc... I like seeing it before I buy. But the industry is moving against that.

I'm with you on that!

If I can't see it, hear it, try it on, hold or smell it. No sale.

Probably a good thing.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
I'm with you on that!

If I can't see it, hear it, try it on, hold or smell it. No sale.

Probably a good thing.

I suspect I'll get over it eventually for some goods once there's good enough VR/AR demos. Something like clothing though, I'm just not going to budge on. I have to see it, and see how it fits before I'm willing to buy. I've heard of some services that do things like ship a crate of clothes to your house (you give them sizing and style guidelines), then you try stuff on, buy what you want, and ship the rest back... but even something like that doesn't sit right with me.

This is where Amazon and any other online warehouse doesn't do it for me.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Apparently everyone is buying their arts and crafts on Amazon.

In this case, it's a company buying out a competitor, and then downsizing the acquisition. Nothing new under the sun here.

For some time now though, the only retailers that will really survive are either in those industries where you need to touch it/try it on (i.e. clothing), or niche industries, where you need the person's expertise in addition to the goods, as well as obviously places where you need it right now, like a grocery store, etc. The others that will survive, are those that cater to browsing, such as those stores found in a mall, etc.

In this day and age of online shopping and fast, free delivery, it's just going to mean the end of many brick and mortar stores. Just as things like redbox and netflix, etc. killed video stores.

posted on Dec, 23 2023 @ 02:49 PM
link   

edit on 12/23/2023 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join