It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Responsibility Deflected, the CLOUD Act Passes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Good question

It's govtack.us but I'm not seeing it.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Here's some explanation from Wikipedia -

Clarifying Lawful Overseas Use of Data Act or CLOUD Act (H.R. 4943)a United States law containing a set of internet regulations proposed on February 6, 2018.[1][2] Primarily the CLOUD Act amends the Stored Communications Act (SCA) of 1986 to allow United States authorities to compel U.S.-based service providers via warrant or subpoena to provide requested data stored on servers regardless of whether they are located within the U.S. or in foreign countries.

The CLOUD Act was introduced following difficulties that U.S. authorities had with obtaining remote data through service providers, who have successfully argued to courts that the legal reach of warrants issued under the SCA only applies to data that are held on servers hosted in the United States, even though they have full control of the data itself remotely. A current case before the Supreme Court of the United States, United States v. Microsoft Corp., which deals with a drug-trafficking investigation from 2013, was brought by the government to challenge the findings of lower courts, arguing that such restrictions hamper their investigations.[3]

The CLOUD Act is a culmination of attempts by Congress to amend the SCA to allow authorities to legally compel service providers to provide data stored on foreign servers under their control under warrant; the "Law Enforcement Access to Data Stored Abroad Act" (LEADS Act) in 2015[4] and the International Communications Privacy Act (ICPA) in 2017 were both previous legislation amending the SCA but which failed to gain passage.[5][6]

After being introduced in the 115th United States Congress, it was attached to an omnibus spending bill necessary to avoid another government shutdown. The spending bill passed both Houses of Congress and was signed into law on March 23, 2018.[7][8]

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The funny thing is, the plan IS working perfectly.

It's just not the plan everyone was hoping for....

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

They don't get it. They'll never get it. They thought it would be different this time around. It wasn't. They'll think it'll be different next time, and it never will be. Again and again and again.

It's f# embarrassing.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Great, now I have to apologize to all those NWO people I thought were loopy.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Just more 'in your face' evidence that no matter WHO you vote for, the same crap still come down the pipe at the people.

Old boss same as the new boss.

Congress needs to be FIRED, NOW!
The government needs to be scaled back to its basics, and fixed NOW!

We are doomed if we do not do something, and soon.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Wow. This is going to get abused to #.

I guess we all knew already that the British intelligence services spied on US citizens for you guys, and you guys do the same for us, but this makes it basically entirely legal right?

Absolute and utter bull#.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

What do you suggest?

Bring back the citizen grand jury and arrest politicians when they do tyrannical stuff?

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis
Just more 'in your face' evidence that no matter WHO you vote for, the same crap still come down the pipe at the people.

Old boss same as the new boss.

Congress needs to be FIRED, NOW!
The government needs to be scaled back to its basics, and fixed NOW!

We are doomed if we do not do something, and soon.

How? People are lazy.

You need a force so strong, it'll move citizens from their couches onto the streets.

Right now, only onesies and twosies.

How do you mobilize the people? Apparenlty this wasn't bad enough for an uprising, imho, I think its is.

Its whatever, we shall see in a few months.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

This is something that needs to be challenged. With enough noise, it might get looked at, but there are advocacy groups for this.

Look here if you cannot find a specific one.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Jesus you guys are on a role today...the terrifying internet bill, this #....not bad not bad...you can call it the day your made up freedom died for real.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I agree this is not good. It can not stand.

Just a thought though.

What if this stood long enough to audit the federal reserve and investigate international banking criminals here...among other crimes?

Can it be used for that?

What counterpart laws are being enacted in these foreign nations?

Which ones? Any, all?

EDIT TO ADD:
On a side note as a possibility:
Could this be a new global consensus given that the ability of the US to spy on everyone's communications is known to the world?

The trade off may be that this ability has to somehow benefit our allies. Perhaps some limits were imposed by capabilities shared.

I wonder where and WHEN this all started. How long its been in the works.

edit on 3 23 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Looks like all the players that brought us Un-Patriot act is at it again.

As I keep telling, Americans lost more freedom under 'fake' patriotic slogans, there is nothing patriotic about patriot act, nor giving up our constitutional rights to "Make American Rich, Rich again"

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Like i said: put Hillary in jail, impeach Trump the next day. If he deserves jail, jail his ass too. Make him and Hillary neighbors. THey seem to have been pretty good friends anyway.

FWIW, i don't see this withstanding SCOTUS review. If it does...its time to force the issue.
edit on 3/23/2018 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

It's not for that though.

Bolton(Bush Era neocon) and this new spy chief and her Bush-era torture prisons as appointments, and all that it implies, says that Trump may be just another Neocon.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   
We've been sold out.

On so many levels.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

We certainly have.

I wanted movement on an actual budget, not another omnibus spending bill to keep the lights on.

I certainly didn't want my rights being sold off to foreign entities by my own government again.

I like a compromise. My nature is often to be diplomatic, even if my expressed opinions are strong. But the truth is, sometimes I feel like all I can do is shut up, fade into the noise, and wait.

I think we're at that point.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   

You may be right. This is hitting none of the MSM. Given the placement of thousands of data servers outside of the US and certain tools that the CIA has in conjunction with the wide sweeping arms of the NSA, we are running out of options.

Those are some expensive lights!

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
We've been sold out.

On so many levels.

Time to railroad Trump into jail for treason. this was a act that violates the law.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Also the majority of congress:

More Democrats and fewer Republicans voted for the fiscal 2018 omnibus Thursday than voted for the budget deal that set the spending levels for it.

The House passed the $1.3 trillion omnibus spending bill, 256-167, with 145 Republicans and 111 Democrats voting “yes.” The “no” votes came from 90 Republicans and 77 Democrats.

www.rollcall.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join