It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The dissolution of individuality in society. Why compulsory public education is social engineering.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew
a reply to: Krazysh0t

So I guess I need to clarify, because I see the direction you're choosing to take with these statements.

Just because it is being taught, doesn't mean it is working in all cases.

Likewise, just because it isn't working in all cases, doesn't mean that it's not being taught.

Furthermore, making the claim that it is being taught doesn't make it so. You have to prove such a thing, and frankly I've yet to meet a single teacher that is in on this conspiracy theory. Have you met any?

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
“You can lead a horse (student) to water (education), but you can’t make him drink (learn)”.

And a horse that won’t be at least lead to water is a horse that will likely die of thirst long before he finds enough water to save himself.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: nwtrucker

Well hop to it.

In a sense, I have for years. My daughter went to private school and my grandchildren are home schooled.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Well hop to it.

In a sense, I have for years. My daughter went to private school and my grandchildren are home schooled.

No offense, but I feel sorry for them. I'm glad I was never homeschooled. Doing such really kills social development in children.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Well, I went to school as well, so there's that. I worked for several years within a public school system, so I was privileged to see the ins and outs of their policies, decisions, reasoning, teaching methods, etc.

You're taught what is provided by textbook. Doesn't matter if it's incomplete, biased, outright lies, or whatever. If it's in the textbook, it's established truth. Can't ask too many questions either, because that would make you a disruption to a class.

Anti-bullying policies, emotional distress policies, etc are geared towards widening the range of victimhood, while making it impossible to stand up for yourself in any situation without fear of suffering the same consequences of the actual person committing the act of.... whatever is deemed "bad".

Have you ever looked up the Prussian school model that is followed by our country, as well as most others on the planet? You probably should.

www.forcedschool.com...

www.stgeorgeutah.com...

www.returnofkings.com...

The child's mind is a blank slate, to be written on and they are to be molded into what society needs. Schools teach uniformity, conformity, obedience (which is slipping a bit) and a narrow thought process. That was the idea years ago, it's still the idea today.

You can attribute kid's loss of attention, standing up to authority, etc., in the current time to many different things: Parenting (or lack thereof), more commonplace usage of drugs, movies and music, the list goes on.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew

Well, I went to school as well, so there's that. I worked for several years within a public school system, so I was privileged to see the ins and outs of their policies, decisions, reasoning, teaching methods, etc.

Ok.

You're taught what is provided by textbook. Doesn't matter if it's incomplete, biased, outright lies, or whatever. If it's in the textbook, it's established truth. Can't ask too many questions either, because that would make you a disruption to a class.

What you failed to mention here is that school curriculums are determined at the State level and not the Federal level. This is how you get debates about some school districts trying to teach Creationism in Science classes or others trying not to teach sexual education. So if you have a problem with the content being taught in your State's public schools you have to take it up with the State, or move.

Anti-bullying policies, emotional distress policies, etc are geared towards widening the range of victimhood, while making it impossible to stand up for yourself in any situation without fear of suffering the same consequences of the actual person committing the act of.... whatever is deemed "bad".

Who cares? Everyone knows (or should know) that the retaliator is usually the one who gets in more trouble because that is the action that is most often witnessed by the administrator. So retaliation shouldn't even be in the lexicon when it comes to bullies.

Besides, there are smarter ways to deal with bullies than punching them back in the face. Schools would rather teach those methods rather than responding physical violence with physical violence.

Have you ever looked up the Prussian school model that is followed by our country, as well as most others on the planet? You probably should.

Again... I've been on ATS since 2012... None of this CT is new to me... Just because our school system was based on this model doesn't mean that its objectives hold true today. Our school system has VASTLY changed since it was first introduced and when you bring this tired point up you basically ignore all those changes and pretend like our school system today is the same as when it was first implemented.

The child's mind is a blank slate, to be written on and they are to be molded into what society needs. Schools teach uniformity, conformity, obedience (which is slipping a bit) and a narrow thought process. That was the idea years ago, it's still the idea today.

Ah the old, children can't think for themselves argument. When I was a kid I used to HATE when adults would imply that I couldn't think for myself and come to my own conclusions. Though adults trying to push agendas always love to employ this weak rhetoric to push their point. In the end it is disrespectful to children's intelligence.

You can attribute kid's loss of attention, standing up to authority, etc., in the current time to many different things: Parenting (or lack thereof), more commonplace usage of drugs, movies and music, the list goes on.

I attribute it to one thing and one thing only. They are kids and kids act like kids. This isn't some new worldview that kids have.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
I would say the problem is not the teachers as much as the knee jerk legislation that has occurred at various times that force the teachers to put other things in front of writing, reading and Arithmetic.

What legislation would you be referring to?

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Well hop to it.

No offense, but I feel sorry for them. I'm glad I was never homeschooled. Doing such really kills social development in children.

Based on your experience in home schooling then? Sheer hubris. You have zero idea what your talking about or have any idea of what outside normal school social activities they enjoy. ( Also, are spared from.)

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   

The person who put that video together specializes in psychology, philosophy, and metaphysics. You know, the stuff they don't bother to even mention in public school. This isn't some crackpot conspiracy theory. Public education is a sad joke.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

Why do teachers in some parts of the country have to teach people they can barely communicate with.
How come some kids that can barely read or write get passed along and allowed to graduate.
Why do we tell a kid that excelled in class but struggled with a test that they cannot graduate.
Why are schools not allowed to discipline kids, or in some cases even touch them forcing them to call the cops when a little kid has a temper tantrum.

Thats certainly not teachers making that call...

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

You're correct. In the past, public education was more centered around the military and work force, but now its just designed to make us worship government. I think this generation will wind up rejecting postmodernism and return to some form of individuation. I see the early signs of those changes in Jordan Peterson's battle.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 04:12 AM
link   
School is the ideal forum to unleash wide-scale indoctrination.

Life appeared on Earth over a few billion years, when a magical brew of unknown crap formed into living organisms, somehow, which 'evolved' into millions of other species, around the world, somehow.

All randomly, of course!

Earth is a ball. Now, point out how stupid we once were, to believe the Earth was flat! Show drawings of monsters in the oceans, and ships sailing over the edge of a flat Earth! Make fun of them, and laugh aloud!

Put an 'evolutionary chart' on walls of 'Science' classrooms. Apes were our ancestors, obviously, since a chart makes it seem very real, to little children!

Wars have been fought forever, because humans are inherently, instinctively, an aggressive, warring, fighting species. That goes back to our ancient ape-man, caveman heritage! We had to kill other people, just to survive another day, after all!

It is never mentioned in schools that wars have always been created, to manipulate people into killing each other!

Why would anyone learn the truth about wars, in schools?

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I thought it was me, me, me...and Me these days.

More like it reinforcing if anything. Wanna know who thought they were special...Hitler.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Individuality hardly exists in us anyway, with or without public education and social engineering. Strip away all the external impressions and influences that have shaped your psyche since birth, social/cultural pressures,the implicit judgments by others which you subconsciously internalize and integrate into your own self-image, the hormonal profile and the effect of chemistry on mood, behavior, etc., genetic predisposition.... and you're left with very little. Certainly not much of a free thinking individual.

Ironically, the most "unique" part of our consciousness that makes us an individual, doesn't even recognize it's own individuality and isn't concerned with it. It's bereft of all ties to the ego.

Ironically, your own self-image and the characteristics you think are "unique" are nothing but judgements and preconceptions imposed by the external world, which you've misconstrued into your own "uniqueness"; which, of course, is common to every human being.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Talorc

I think individuality is a ground state phenomenon of the human psyche. Strip away environmental and biochemical factors, and I think there would still be something their, however small it might be. In light of that, I don't think the individual can be totally dissolved, but it can be overpowered by the whims of social trends if the person's individuality is not sufficiently developed and maintained. Like a muscle, it must be strengthened and exercised, else it will experience atrophy.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join