It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida House Bill Requires "In God We Trust" Displayed In All Public Schools

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thirty6BelowZero
a reply to: DBCowboy

Must be written in code language somewhere.

It's the same damned thing with statues.

Some people find something offensive, so NO ONE can see it.

It appears as though many don't really want free expression.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Thirty6BelowZero

Like I said in an earlier post, no you haven't all been using this all your lives, unless no one who was around in the forties or previous is still alive, in which case your healthcare must be terrible... oh wait, it is.

In God We Trust was established as the motto of your country in 1956, by Eisenhower, for the purpose of evangelising the state in the eyes of the people, to breed greater "loyalty" (read: blindness to the truth) during the cold war and beyond.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

"In God We Trust" is the official motto of the United States of America and of the U.S. state of Florida. It was adopted as the nation's motto in 1956 as a replacement or alternative to the unofficial motto of E pluribus unum, which was adopted when the Great Seal of the United States was created and adopted in 1782.[1][2]
"In God We Trust" first appeared on the two-cent piece in 1864[3] and has appeared on paper currency since 1957.

en.wikipedia.org...

Bold is mine.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Only if it's something they like. Usually it's a partisan thing. I have Conservative friends that don't believe in God and find no issues with "in God we trust." I think a person's politics depends on their mental state.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Woodcarver
The words being there mean that they have the support of the state.And you definitely don’t understand the consequences of that do you?

Our forefathers, except for a couple, were rather religious. and they wanted to protect was religion. They came from a country that had a state sponsored religion and so they wanted freedom for all religions. What this means is they wanted to keep the state out of religion and not so much religion out of the state...if that makes any sense to you.

To say God in a general sense encompasses all religions, so I fail to see where that state support lies other than to suggest the intent of our forefathers was to keep the Government atheist, and I don't see that.

In order to make it accommodate all religions, they must make God plural. In The Gods We Trust.....hmm...kinda catchy

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Thirty6BelowZero

I just realized it is the Florida state motto.

Ironic that the state can't put its own motto on things because. . . offend.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Most people today were either too young to remember 1956 or weren't born yet. This country was founded on religion and remained that way until the 60's when Madalyn Murray O'Hair came into the scene as angry and bitter as you can get, all because of one thing she didn't like.
edit on 23-3-2018 by Thirty6BelowZero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Would you mind if we put, "In Satan We Trust" right next to it?

link   

Where is all this religious talk leading too....

They're Gettin the Band Back Together...

link   

Only if it offends a certain group. Anything else is ok, especially if it offends.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

If you believe in Satan then you believe in God. Do trust the devil?

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Would you mind if we put, "In Satan We Trust" right next to it?

*shrugs*

With todays public school system, it'd be more appropriate.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

a reply to: Wayfarer

If you believe in Satan then you believe in God. Do trust the devil?

Semantics. The point is, is it alright to force a specific religion on those who don't believe in it. It doesn't have to be Satan, could be Allah, Buddha, Brahma, Flying Spaghetti Monster, take your pick. As long as any deistic moniker is allowed to be displayed I don't think anyone would object. The point is that its a specific flavor of Judaeo-Christian religion being utilized to the exclusion of others (which is specifically denounced in the constitution).

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
What about "In Goddess We Trust", I'd like my children to included in this religious sponsorship.

Seems they're going to need a pretty big wall to get all the religions covered. (or they could just leave it as is)

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
It seems to me that people are having two totally different conversations here.

1) it is wrong to mandate that public institutions display "xyz" religious material.

2) People should be free to display "xyz" religious material.

Surely both of those things are correct?

If a school should CHOOSE to display "in god we trust" then that is fine, and should be covered by the ruling that freedom of expression is not infringed upon.

If a school or public building is FORCED by government to display a religious motto, specifically promoting one religious point of view over all others, this is church encroaching upon state and ought to be considered unacceptable.

Both of these positions seem to be reasonable to me...

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
They should just go full retard:

"In God we trust to come down and stop these bullets, because Lord knows us Americans will do nothing to protect our children."

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ScatteredThirdAngel

I can't wait until the Church of Satan sues the state to force them to display "In Satan we Trust".

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indrasweb

If a school should CHOOSE to display "in god we trust" then that is fine, and should be covered by the ruling that freedom of expression is not infringed upon.

I think you should probably specify that the school in question isn't a public school, otherwise it's still a governmental agency enforcing a specific religious flavor (the topic of the OP).

In this specific instance, a Majority of Floridians hypothetically supported the idea enough to pass state law to allow it, however that doesn't mean up to 49.9% of the population isn't having their constitutional rights infringed upon.
edit on 12am18famFri, 23 Mar 2018 10:15:05 -0500America/ChicagoFri, 23 Mar 2018 10:15:05 -0500 by Wayfarer because: corrected mispelling

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: ignorant_ape

It's not freedom FROM religion.
It's freedom OF religion.
That's a big difference.

Freedom OF religion also includes freedom FROM religion. You would be ok if it read in Satan we trust right? Shiva perhaps? Yeah I didn't think so. Leave the god crap out of public spaces paid for by tax money. You want to start a private religious school more power to you.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I think this is just a sign of the true stupidaty of the florida government.

Most likely they think if you put the word god on the building it will stop the mass shootings from happening.

I have lived in florida all my life this is just how they think. Don't fix the problems when you can just let god sort it out.

The only thing this will accomplish is to divide the students even more.

A public building used by all citizens should not single out any one group. When you do the building stops being for all.

Who voted for this? Was it a group of christians in our government that only care about their own?

edit on 23-3-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join