It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YouTube Bans DIY and Commercially Focused Gun Videos

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

YouTube is cracking down on gun videos. The video sharing platform recently updated its policies on content featuring firearms. According to the updated restrictions, the site no longer allows content that, “Intends to sell firearms or certain firearms accessories through direct sales...or links to sites that sell these items.”

The list of forbidden accessories includes, but is not limited to, anything that enables a firearm to simulate automatic fire or converts a firearm to do so, and high capacity magazine kits. YouTube's new policy also now states it will ban videos that show people how to manufacture firearms, ammunition, high capacity magazines, or even shows users how to install these accessories or modifications.

There are thousands of gun channels on YouTube. Some gun vloggers watched their videos disappear from YouTube on Tuesday night and they’re not happy about it. “Those [policies about firearms] are very new and causing some uproar in the communities,” Jörg Sprave—a YouTuber who makes videos about slingshot weapons and started a movement to unionize YouTubers—told Motherboard in and email.

The train keeps moving. I wonder how long before survivalist channels are outright banned, considering the amount of DYI weapons content they contain?

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Just stop using you tube if it does not have the content you want.
It is a private company and they can do what they want tbh.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Remember, from a government perspective, an informed population is a dangerous population.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Just the latest in a long line of nails in YT's coffin.

Let them die.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Google should immediately be brought before Congress. They are one of the largest beneficiaries of taxpayer funded subsidies, and as such they absolutely are running afoul of the First Amendment. Either cut them off from the public teats or require them to adhere to Constitutional limits on public sector policies.

Oh, and this...
www.google.com...

A free society depends on free expression. The flow of ideas and open access to information on the web helps communities grow and nations prosper.

You lying sacks of Unamerican, worthless, thieving dogcrap. This is why I supported Ajit Pai in his fight against Net Nuetrality. It's a goddamn illusion. There is no such thing as freedom of the internet when you have multinational, multibillion demonic entities like Google running the show. The genie is out of the bottle, folks. The free internet was dead years ago. The only solution now is to support policies that we all know will ultimately lead to a massive house fire, burn the bitch to the ground, and start from scratch all over again.

KILL THE INTERNET.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

Just stop using you tube if it does not have the content you want.
It is a private company and they can do what they want tbh.

They're hybrid "private" at best. Their parent company is far too embedded in tax payer funds and government cooperation exercises to be considered a private company.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
A lot of these people are moving to twitch, I watch a lot of Demolition Ranch on YouTube and he has expressed intent to move to twitch if things like this keep happening on YouTube.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: MteWamp
Just the latest in a long line of nails in YT's coffin.

Let them die.

Lol,

"The total number of people who use YouTube – 1,300,000,000. 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute! Almost 5 billion videos are watched on Youtube every single day. In an average month, 8 out of 10 18-49 year-olds watch YouTube."

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantumgamer1776
A lot of these people are moving to twitch, I watch a lot of Demolition Ranch on YouTube and he has expressed intent to move to twitch if things like this keep happening on YouTube.

If a large enough competitor to youtube gains popularity, youtube will just buy that entity and enact their authoritarian vision upon those users.

I think it's time to dismantle these giants, before it's too late, if it isn't already.

But the government would never throw out one of their biggest sources of intel it has in it's fight against the american people.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

YouTube is cracking down on gun videos. The video sharing platform recently updated its policies on content featuring firearms. According to the updated restrictions, the site no longer allows content that, “Intends to sell firearms or certain firearms accessories through direct sales...or links to sites that sell these items.”

The list of forbidden accessories includes, but is not limited to, anything that enables a firearm to simulate automatic fire or converts a firearm to do so, and high capacity magazine kits. YouTube's new policy also now states it will ban videos that show people how to manufacture firearms, ammunition, high capacity magazines, or even shows users how to install these accessories or modifications.

There are thousands of gun channels on YouTube. Some gun vloggers watched their videos disappear from YouTube on Tuesday night and they’re not happy about it. “Those [policies about firearms] are very new and causing some uproar in the communities,” Jörg Sprave—a YouTuber who makes videos about slingshot weapons and started a movement to unionize YouTubers—told Motherboard in and email.

The train keeps moving. I wonder how long before survivalist channels are outright banned, considering the amount of DYI weapons content they contain?

I hope they leave the gun smith vids alone. Ever try to completely disassemble a 1895 Nagant revolver? How about a 1863 E. Remington and sons .41 rimfire?

Are they going after stuff like that, or just commercial stuff?

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Isn’t it amazing that I grew up in the 70’s without watching one YouTube video? Somehow, I survived. I used to spend hours in libraries...

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
I think it's time to dismantle these giants, before it's too late, if it isn't already.

That's why I continue to welcome these moves by Google and Facebook. Eventually, when the tide cuts the other way, even the people who laud these restrictions will be screaming for regulation.

I feel certain Facebook and Google stopped playing the long game. Eventually, that will hurt them.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingMonkeyInSpace

Youtube's monetization policy is driving away content creators, though. Look at it this way, MySpace was the most visited website in the world less than 10 years ago. When was the last time you ran into anyone who still visits their MySpace account? Websites fail daily, including the big boys. Stupid, pandering decisions by their management are the leading cause of those failures.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Exactly.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Isn’t it amazing that I grew up in the 70’s without watching one YouTube video? Somehow, I survived. I used to spend hours in libraries...

The difference now is that we live in an era of dying print media. Newstands really don't exist outside of airports anymore. Magazine racks at Barnes & Noble (I remember less than 2 decades ago having B&N, B. Dalton, and Borders all in the same mall...) are tiny compared to what they were 20 years ago when I was a teen. EVERYTHING has been digitized. 1984's vision of a world where the government controls information by simply eliminating print is becoming a very scary reality.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
DAMNIT! The other advantage of printed media is the fact that it is very, very rare that one "double writes" a letter or book, unlike this GD double post bug I seem to have picked up lately.
edit on 21-3-2018 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

originally posted by: MisterSpock

That's why I continue to welcome these moves by Google and Facebook. Eventually, when the tide cuts the other way, even the people who laud these restrictions will be screaming for regulation.

I feel certain Facebook and Google stopped playing the long game. Eventually, that will hurt them.

I just realized one thing you won't see in this ridiculous crusade against innocent people. You won't see hollywood abandon producing films that depict violence and weapons. I mean, their "outrage" is pretty shallow. They'll spout a few words to make them feel good but they'll still profit off of it.

Obviously youtube doesn't think they profit off of these creators enough, since I'm sure they are still answering to their master. The almighty dollar.

I'm sure if consumers took all this outrage seriously and started boycotting every film that had a weapon in it. They'd all change their tune damn fast.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

I would not hold myself as any kind of perfect model of the glory a person can attain by not watching YouTube. If you like reading old, wrong and irrelevant information, a library is a good place to find it.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DogStarIn1066

Guess I will just have to go to Best Buy and browse their massive DVD aisles, maybe pick up a couple CD’s...oh wait.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Oh, because everything on You tube is accurate and correct.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join