It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should knowledge be banned. . re The Anarchists Cookbook

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Required reading in my opinion. Everyone should know the story of Capn Crunch and the other phone phreaks to have a better understanding of hackers and computers in today’s society. I wonder if that blind kid that whistled the perfect pitch is still alive.

Other parts...well, if that is what you want to read. Still never made potassium iodide and iodine requires asking the pharmacist now for whatever reason when you used to just grab it off the shelf for putting on scratches.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
They could scrub all the physical copies in existence, but still it's all over the web (topside, so to speak, as well as Dark)

You can't scrub the digital stuff as easily, mirrors & copies to download propagate far too fast.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Required reading in my opinion. Everyone should know the story of Capn Crunch and the other phone phreaks to have a better understanding of hackers and computers in today’s society. I wonder if that blind kid that whistled the perfect pitch is still alive.

There was an episode of "Mysteries at the Museum" that discussed that guy and his importance to phone modems. Cool episode.

Other parts...well, if that is what you want to read. Still never made potassium iodide and iodine requires asking the pharmacist now for whatever reason when you used to just grab it off the shelf for putting on scratches.

you can get iodine from table salts. It's not as complicated as it seems.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I'd argue no - we should not ban knowledge, unless we want to become the next dystopian fiction novel (not that we aren't already).

Using the Anarchist Cookbook as an example - I have read it, and some (not all) of the chapters I can see use for modern-day urban survival if the world were to ever go to pieces. In an apocalyptic or broken down society, knowing certain chemical formulas, how to pick locks, and impromptu weapon creation would be just as good a book on hunting (NOTE: I'm not talking about civil war, but rather a SHTF event).

And knowledge can be banned all they want, but as have been proven countless times before, there will be a black market for it: It might be someone's basement filled with books or a hacker hiding a USB with books, videos or pictures.

It's not that knowledge is inherently bad, but rather, is determined by what a person does with it.

-foss

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Old copies are vastly different from new copies. Newer copies have stuff omitted that was in earlier copies from the 90's. Newer copies are missing a lot of stuff. Some of the real dangerous stuff has been removed. From what I understand is the publishing rights have changed hands a few times and newer publishers didn't want to risk being held responsible.
edit on 23-3-2018 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I'm for free speech unless it is pedo's chatting up kids.
If the book was a book how to pick up kids online I would like that banned.
It shouldn't be a left v right thing or a freedom of speech issue when it comes to pedo's just make sure it is illegal for them to chat to kids online.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

oh dear " freedom " of speech as long as you dont find it offensive ?

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Much to late to attempt to ban. Truth is chemistry books have all the information you need. Figuring out what chemicals explode is usually the first thing people do when learning chenistry.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Where pedos are concerned I would have thought everyone would like to limit their speech to kids.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Besides, anybody that has taken a college chemistry class can figure out how to build an explosive.

This is a very important point, a person who has a reasonable degree of chemistry knowledge can make explosives without the help of a what is the equivalent of dummies guide to making explosives. The same thing applies to hackers, a professional programmer is almost always going to make a better hacker than someone who has no formal education and learned to hack from guides on the internet. Breaking Bad shows us what could happen if a chemistry teacher were to become a drug dealer. As they say, knowledge is power and when used in the wrong way it can be dangerous, but we cannot fear knowledge and suppress it from people out of fear what they may do with that knowledge, or we would never advance our knowledge. The guy who wrote the Cookbook has nothing to feel sorry about, what ever people decide to do with the information they find in books is their own decision.
edit on 25/3/2018 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join